Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has made this modification to their Mini. I know the Mini has a reputation for being over-gassed. This probably contributes to its famed reliability, but also unnecessarily beats the gun up and annoys the guy 100 feet to your right at the range.

I want to only annoy the guy immediately to my right at the range, and thought the adjustable gas block might just be the ticket. Any thoughts of experiences would be appreciated.

· Registered
204 Posts
You could also install a smaller gas bushing, a lot cheaper and simpler.

I don't have an adjustable gas block, but I've heard that sometimes they don't stay in adjustment until the threads on the screw get a bit carboned up. If you want to be able to turn it off for a non-cycle for better accuracy in target shooting they're useful. But, if you're just going to turn it down and leave it I'd go the bushing route.

I just installed a rear buffer to reduce the receiver beating, and left mine as is. Seems to throw the brass less violently too.

· Registered
663 Posts
+1 Breckenridge covered it all.

The smaller gas bushing is much more econimical and more reliable. Pop one in and forget it. Gundoc sends them in packs of 3 so you can tell him what sizes you want and tune your system. PM him, he'll get ya situated.

If you really want the adj. gas block then by all means get it. Being able to shoot the mini like a single shot sounds pretty interesting and fun to me IMO. One downfall of it is that if you do want a stabilizing strut (Mo-Rod, Acc-Strut, Har-Bar, etc.), you will not be able to install it properly.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
The fellas above me covered it all. I'll just add this:

Most owners of adjustable gas blocks find a setting that reliably ejects all brands and loads that they commonly shoot, then never touch it again. That is, until it blows the set screw out at the range and stops cycling...:lol:

If you're going to do that anyway, it behooves you to just buy a set of bushings from WalkenBear or GunDoc (say .045", .050", and .055" I.D.). Start with the smallest and see if it cycles all your loads. If it doesn't step up until you find one that provides you the reliability you're looking for.

FYI, I run a .045" bushing in my 580 and it reliably ejects everything I feed it. Pair that with a Wilson Combat Shok-Buff fore and aft, and it's the quietest Mini-14 action you'll find. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.