Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read through some of the other threads and didn't find what I was looking for so please bear with me. I have a 581 Mini-30, and had planned to order a set of bushings from Gundoc, and then started reading about the adjustable gas block.
- have you found sufficient variance between loads that the ability to change the port size with an adjustable block came in handy?
- or have you found that one port size to be sufficient for all your regular loads and reliable operation of the action?
- has there ever been a load/ammo you used that just wouldn't work for you unless you changed the bushing or adjustment?

I'm really just wanting reliable, accurate operation that doesn't pile the brass in the next county, as I reload. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Great question. No answer; I'm just following along looking for the same input for my Mini 14.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've already responded with my experience in your other thread, so I won't repost it here. :lol:

Others should be along shortly.
Let me premise this by saying that I don't own an adjustable gas block. I seriously considered buying one, but couldn't bring myself to do business with ASI due to their markup on commercially available parts and their refusal to acknowledge those who produce the parts they sell at 30% above retail price.

In response to your question... If you're going to have to remove the gas block anyway, why not just buy a set of Gas Port Bushings from Walkenbear or GunDoc? You'd set yourself back all of $30, including a set of 3 bushings (I'd recommend .045", .050", and .055", YMMV), a new Allen wrench, and a new set of screws for the gas block.

I've been running a .050" bushing from Walkenbear for over 1,000 rounds. I shoot only commercial .223 and 5.56 (XM193), with some US milsurp (contract overrun) 5.56 thrown in. Never had an issue with cycling. I'd venture to bet you could run a .040" or .045" bushing and have no problems with US-produced commercial ammo.

Another thing I've heard about the adjustable gas blocks is that they have trouble holding a setting. Unless you apply some LocTite. Then you'll basically have your adjustable block tuned for one load, then have to reapply some LocTite if you decide to readjust later. More hassle than it's worth, IMO.

I prefer to do a bit of experimenting with bushings, find the smallest ID that's 100% reliable, and leave it be.
Your other post spurred me to ask the question of those who own blocks. Gundoc has been helpful as well, but in the multitude of counsel there is much wisdom.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Read through some of the other threads and didn't find what I was looking for so please bear with me. I have a 581 Mini-30, and had planned to order a set of bushings from Gundoc, and then started reading about the adjustable gas block.
- have you found sufficient variance between loads that the ability to change the port size with an adjustable block came in handy?
- or have you found that one port size to be sufficient for all your regular loads and reliable operation of the action?
- has there ever been a load/ammo you used that just wouldn't work for you unless you changed the bushing or adjustment?

I'm really just wanting reliable, accurate operation that doesn't pile the brass in the next county, as I reload. Thanks for your input!
Hi, I have the Accuracy Systems adjustable gas block for my Min-14. After finding a setting that tossed the brass ~6-8ft, I have never changed that setting. All the different ammo used seems to toss it's brass approximately the same distance.

When I bought the gas block I had hopes of using it to tune the rifle for optimal accuracy. While the mind is willing, the price of ammo and flesh is weak. I'll just live with the current setting and enjoy easily picking up my brass undamaged from a small pile.

IMO if you find the correct sized gas bushing that produces results similar to the adjustable gas block you will save a lot of money if willing to put in the time experimenting. Having said that, it is very simple to find the correct brass throwing setting using the adjustable block.

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've already responded with my experience in your other thread, so I won't repost it here. :lol:

Others should be along shortly.
Hi All -

I am the author of the other thread...started two days before this one. This appears to be two different mini owners with the same question. My conclusion and solution to the brass issue will be to buy a set of bushings and find one size that works best with my reloads. I have been using the same load for years and have no plans on changing it. I am a big believer in the KISS principle and it just makes sense to go that route.

Swiftone (not chapnelson)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Hi All -

I am the author of the other thread...started two days before this one. This appears to be two different mini owners with the same question. My conclusion and solution to the brass issue will be to buy a set of bushings and find one size that works best with my reloads. I have been using the same load for years and have no plans on changing it. I am a big believer in the KISS principle and it just makes sense to go that route.

Swiftone (not chapnelson)
:eek: Oops, sorry about that... I should have checked the OP of the other thread before posting.

No offense intended, fellas! ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks - it does really sound like bushings are the way to go! Now I just need to mic the diameters and write Gundoc!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts