Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE BEEN READING FOR AWHILE AND PLAYING WITH MY MINI 196.REMOVED FRNT SIGHT,SHIMED GAS BLOCK,LOADED52 GRAIN AMAX IMR 3031. YOU GUYS PROBALY WONT BELEIVE BUT HERE GOES 5 SHOT GROUPS UNDER AN INCH , AN FLYER ONCE IN A WHILE MOSTLY FIRST SHOT . THE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT SEEMED TO BE THE FRONT SIGHT REMOVAL. THEN THE HAND LOADS . I MUST HAVE GOT A GOOD ONE ANYBODY ELSE HAVE ONE LIKE THIS.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Thats pretty good shooten there sharpshooter, you took the opposite approach to some of us, as we hung a muzzle break on the barrel to help cut down on the barrel flip. I got rid of my flyers when I glass bedded my stock, and firelaped the barrel. My 4 1/2" groups now average 1.51 " with best group being .92", with factory Winchester 46 gr varmint. I am working on developing a load my mini will like. Using Nosler 55 gr BTBT, tried BLC-2 powder, and CCI primers, not very good. Tomorrow Ill try some W748 powder, with Federal Match primers. The IMR 3031 your using is a faster burining powder than I have heard of anyone using, but no one can argue with your results! How many grains of powder are you using? How much of an improvement did you get using the same ammo, before, and after you removed the front sight. Also if I may ask why did you remove your front sight?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the load im using is actually a 45 grain sierra 24.5 grains 3031 rp cases went back to range today groups were still the same 5 shot groups all around 1 " . removed front sight going to insall muzzle brake tried the way it is think ill leave it alone. tried many loads this a good one. trying some 748 and other loads next weekend.seems to like the light bullets dont know why.the gun doesnt like factory ammo much groups were around 2..25 inches still better ten some of the horror stories i have been hearing.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
If this batch dosen't pan out then I may get some of that faster powder, either Reloader 7, or IMR-3031., and try with 45,55,63gr bullets. I'd be happy if I can get mine to shoot like yours.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
That load did not pan out ( 63gr Serria, and the W748 powder). I will stop at our local powder warehouse, and get me some good powder. ( Not the Sniffen kind!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tried some 748 45 grain seirras groups about 1.5 " at a 100.the 3031 seems to be the best groups.love playing with this little gun having fun its not my 40x but its allot of fun . ill keep trying see whats best keep you informed. the 748 load 26.5:sniper:

·
Registered
203 Posts
My most accurate bullets to date have been Hornady 60gr Spire HP's w/ 25gr of H335 and CCI Mag Primer. I've also had good luck with the same bullets and Varget 26gr and CCI BR primer. The FMJ in the 62gr weight are not as accurate, but acceptable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts