Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with a GB model tried any type of strut device on their rifle? Did you notice any improvement?
The reason I ask is because it doesn't look long enough or have enough attachment points to appear very useful.

This is a pic of Mo-rods GB strut.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great question. I'm wondering myself. Locally there is a GB for sale at a great price but I would want to add a strut also. A strut made a huge accuracy difference on my 180 series mini-14. The bayonet lug is in the way obviously.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a GB and was thinking of adding one. But at under 3" of overall length and only one barrel attachment point, I'm not convinced that it is going to help any.
The barrel is solidly mounted at the gas block, judging by the OAL of the mo-rod, it looks like the barrel attachment point can't be much more than an inch out from there. So how much harmonics could be going on at that point?

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
it does make a difference,

and if you are handy with a dremel,
or have access to a machine shop - you can easily modify a standard accustrut to fit a GB.
what ever alloy Kkina uses for his struts is stout stuff so expect to kill a wheel or two cutting it.

I modded mine with a dremel, the job was a little rough... but GunDoc cleaned it up for me when he painted my rifle - so a proper machine shop is the better way to go.

look closely at the photo, you can see where I removed stock to clear the lug - I gained an honest 1/4" reduction of group size at 100yd over going strut less.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your modified strut attaches further forward than the one that mo-rod makes for the GB. I would assume that your's would help out more than theirs, but you lose your bayo lug. I was toying with the idea of making a piece that mounts just like a bayo, tying the muzzle to the bayo lug to see if that helps. Maybe incorporating a couple of set screws to really lock it up solid.
Have you ever shot it with a bayo in place? was it any better?

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Your modified strut attaches further forward than the one that mo-rod makes for the GB. I would assume that your's would help out more than theirs, but you lose your bayo lug. I was toying with the idea of making a piece that mounts just like a bayo, tying the muzzle to the bayo lug to see if that helps. Maybe incorporating a couple of set screws to really lock it up solid.
Have you ever shot it with a bayo in place? was it any better?
no, it shot much worse with a bayonet fixed. like going from a tennis ball group from the kneeling position at 100 to a volley ball group.
this was with an old M7 bayonet - maybe the M9 would yield different results

to me, as a civilian... a bayonet is really just a novelty, so losing it in favor of tighter accuracy is a no brainer for me. if I decided that I absolutely had to stick something with a blade... I have several other tools that are far better suited to this task - one of my deferentially tempered, folded carbon steel Katanas comes to mind :lol:

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
371 Posts
:eek:Mr " Snuf." I'm fallin' in love with your weapon( above pic} color treatment on scar-type stock . Excellent.:D WISHING NOW, YOU WERE MY NEIGHBOR AS WELL AS MY FORUM FRIEND. I wanna' shoot yer' carbine.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Does "GB" mean "new tapered barrel"? I can't find anywhere Ruger uses that term. Trying to figure out if my my new one from CDNN is a GB.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, it shot much worse with a bayonet fixed. like going from a tennis ball group from the kneeling position at 100 to a volley ball group.
this was with an old M7 bayonet - maybe the M9 would yield different results
I wonder if the weight has anything to do with it. If I made a strut to connect muzzle to the bayo lug, I would make it out of something light like aluminum. Adding to the rigidity without the extra weight of a bayo.

My other question is whether or not a mo-rod/accustrut would interfere with my side swivel.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
:eek:Mr " Snuf." I'm fallin' in love with your weapon( above pic} color treatment on scar-type stock . Excellent.:D WISHING NOW, YOU WERE MY NEIGHBOR AS WELL AS MY FORUM FRIEND. I wanna' shoot yer' carbine.
let me know if you ever decide to Vacation on maui...
if the range happens to be open while you are here - I'll let you have a go at it :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts