Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the first accustrut with the hex head on the end. Is it worth it to spend the money on the newer one, or a waste?

Also, Looking at accuracy systems adjustable gas block. Costs aside, is it any better than just replacing port bushings? Also, will the accustrut fit it?

Reactions: Joe226

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I wouldn't worry about buying the newest strut -- an Accu-Strut is an Accu-Strut. Unless it's the XD, which is lighter, but still functions the same. IMO, spend your money on something else.

As for the adjustable gas block, I know some will say you can "tune" it for the load, weather, etc., but IMO gas port bushings are easier to deal with. Shoot the lowest-power load you plan on using regularly, and pick the smallest bushing that will still allow it to function. I've found that a .045" is just about ideal for what I shoot (Remington UMC 55gr., Federal/AE XM193, Hornady Varmint 55-gr.).

The Accu-Strut will still work if you go with the ASI block, you just won't be able to attach it to the block. Butt it up against it tight, and clamp it to your barrel.

At the end of the day, my recommendation is to buy a set of 3 GPBs (say, .050", .045", and .040"), new gas block bolts, and some Blue LocTite. Spend the rest of the couple hundred bucks on ammo. Or mags. Or toward a better optic. Or a Scout Mount. Or... :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda felt the same way about the bushing. I did want to change the gas block over to black for the look, but I suppose I could get it coated if anything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I found that it was needed to be able to put the set screws into the gas block with mine. I even needed to drill indentations into the gas block for the set screws to hold and I used red loctite on the accustrut clamps and blue on the set screws. My gun must have really had the whip lash.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I found that it was needed to be able to put the set screws into the gas block with mine.
I have come to the same conclusion w/ a similar strut/rod. When it slipped off the gas block my groups began to open up and string, If on my next test it slips again (after adding loctite to the clamps and evening pressure plus extra loctite on the set screws) I'll have to also drill dimples into the block.

I thought about a tuning gas block since I reload and want to keep my brass but I read about a lot of problems and the few people I've met in person that owned them had so many issue that they abandoned them. One guy had to actually find a setting that didn't fling brass and loctite it into place because they don't seem to like keeping their setting. So the guy ended up w/ what was essentially a $100+ reduced bushing.

*I just checked the Accuracy Systems Inc. page and it looks like only their Gen I adjustable gas block might accept a strut, the pictures look VERY similar to my factory block that I just checked.*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.