Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this being my first post I'd like to say thank you to everyone for all of the information that they have posted here. Ok now on to my results so far.

Beginning results with:
Ruger Ranch Rifle, wood stock, blued, Bushnell 4-12X40 scope

100 yds. avg. group about 4-6" using Winchester 55g fmj factory ammo

Mild accurizing results
Ruger Ranch Rifle, wood stock, camo paint job on whole rifle, 4-12X40 scope, 5lb trigger job and polishing, Smith Enterprises Muzzle Brake

100 yds. avg group 1.75-2" group using handloads: Winchester brass, CCI 400 primers, 26 gr H322 power, 50 gr Speer "TNT" Hollow Point

I can't believe how much more accurate this little mini is with just the muzzle brake and the trigger job I did (handloads help a lot also). Once again I'd like to thank everyone for all their posts on how they have worked over the mini. My next step will be a recoil buffer, gas bushings from Mike, and more than likely going to bed it as well.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Welcome to the forum Coilsprungyj. Sounds like you've developed a real shooter there. The bedding will help your accuracy also. The gas bushing kit, will improve your accuracy during rapid fire. Mine dosen't leave the bull, just kinda moves around the bull when cranking em out fast. They also will be easier on your scope, and brass will not be damaged so you can reload them.

· Registered
533 Posts
Originally posted by Coilsprungyj

Mild accurizing results
Ruger Ranch Rifle, wood stock, camo paint job on whole rifle, 4-12X40 scope, 5lb trigger job and polishing, Smith Enterprises Muzzle Brake
What specifically did you polish on your trigger? Did you install new springs and if so what brand.

· Registered
103 Posts
Coilsprungyj,

Nice. Thanks for the info (I'm going to try that handload data out).

Do you like the Smith brake or not? I'm hanging on buying one and would like to hear your opinion.

Bedding the rifle too might tighten it up more - mine is curing now in a Hogue overmolded. After that is set, the original wood stock gets glassed too.

I hope my RR will shoot as nicely as your Mini.

Congrats.

Mughi-14

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spring kit I installed was a Trapper Gun Inc. tune up kit #RU-8. I got the spring kit from theoutdoorcenter.com. It included a 20% heavier recoil spring, trigger spring, and sear spring. The polishing I did was just where the trigger tooth (I guess thats what you could call it) and the hammer meet. I used my finest knife sharpening stone (a hard arkansas stone) to just polish all of the machining lines off of them.

I really like the smith enterprises brake. Installation is very simple, just test fit with no set screws, make sure fits snug (mine did) align so the angled ports are up and centered (I used the front sight to gauge this) get a center punch, center punch all of the holes, get a 1/4" drill bit and just lightly drill very little so the set screws will not back out (also use a little locktite). Also just ordered my bedding kit from brownells.

· Registered
103 Posts
Coilsprungyj,

Thanks for the info also on the Entreprise. Just ordered one from Brownells.

Did the bedding this week and put 10 rounds through it today. Shoots pretty well, but did before... Anyway, I'll get it out to 100yds and see what it will do soon. The bedding is simple to do - I recommend it. Even though I'm not yet sure what accuracy help I've made here, the Hogue stock seems stiffer and the receiver can't rattle around.

BTW, I used the lower setting in the measuring spoon and had a little bit left over. I also used modeling clay - it was fantastic. It all went great.

Thanks again for the info/advice.

Mughi-14

· Registered
103 Posts
Coil -

Man, I misread your post. Thought you installed the Smith brake more like what the instructions said to... not shallowly (if I read it right this time)

I'm halfway through - top and bottom screws are set and fit flush with the brake. I was using the neighbor's drill press but the chatter was too intense, so I've been Dremeling (drill bit and engravers 3/32" bit). The top and bottom fit well... I should have read your post more carefully. I think I'm overdoing it (going as deep as the angle depth of the set screw).

Sure looks nice though - thanks for the advice. Next time I'll read it a bit better and maybe set the ports a bit better (they don't even line up with each other perfectly, much less my barrel).

Hell, as long as it works well. Next brake will be an AK-74 pin-on for sure (or I'll take the Mini to a smith - I have to stop being a cheap bastard).

Mughi-14

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.