Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so I apologize if I am covering ground covered before. I came across a lot of information about Accuracy Rifle Systems. They have custom bull barrel (Lothar) barreled mini-14's that customers claim shoot 1 inch or less groups at 100 yards. On another web-site I was told this was a waste of money to spend $1000 for such a mini-14. But, then I looked at accuraized stainless steel bull barreled AR's (Armalite, Colt, DPMS, and others) and the price didn't seem so high after all. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this company?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't have any experience with them, sorry. But if what you're looking for is a rifle that can shoot 1" groups, from what I've read here it's fairly easily done with some well thought out mods to any mini. In fact mine is at the shop right now for some of those mods.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum Notpars. There are two companies with similar names. One is Accurate Rifle Systems in Texas, the other is Accurate Systems Inc. in Colorado. The one in Texas has had some bad posts, for service. The one in Colorado has had all good posts. IF you enter Accurate Systems, as key words, using the search functions, about 2 pages of posts will come up on this subject.

Some of us have taken the inexpensive approach to accurizing our mini's. By selecting the ammo your mini likes, installing a $19.95 muzzle brake, bedding the stock, trigger job, scope, using a sand bag and proper markmenship you should be in the 1 1/2" to 2" range at 100 yds. for about $59. You can do all the work yourself. For another $35. You can adjust your recoil down so during rapid fire your muzzle stays in the bull. I've gotten my mini to shoot avg groups near 1", with the above mods, and reloads.

Some have cut off their barrels, and recrowned for better accuracy. So you have a choice as to way you want to go. Keep us posted. ;) http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/mini_14_...ccessories.html

·
Registered
569 Posts
caj don't forget about the Final Finish barrel lapping improvement. dude with all of your knowledge of just about everything ever posted her, you should just publish a list - like an FAQ - on all the stuff that can be done. that'd totally rock

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fastang50,

Thanks for the reply. I was close to buying either a:

Armalite with stainless steel match barrel in
.223 for $1383

DPMS Panther with stainless steel bull barrel in .223 for around $1200

and I was looking at others. But I have always liked the mini-14 platform and heard the AR's jam. Anyway, I'll let you know if I get one...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For Cajungeo
Thanks for the reply. I had not idea that there was another company and other options. I was on another site with a mini-14 thread and the general consensus was that these rifles were junk and a huge waste on money to customize...But what you said sets that straight. I have owned and loved several of these so your post is a great help. And thanks for the welcome too. This seems like a really good website.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just so you know that I'm really not biased.... I have both a mini and an AR. Both are nice functional guns. To this point neither have had any accuracy work. The AR easily outshoots the mini, when I get the mini back I expect them to be about the same with no negative effect on the minis reliability.
Counter to what you've heard, the AR is very reliable. I've never had any trouble with mine. I've never had any trouble with the mini either. Both are sensitive to mag quality, there-in the AR has a big advantage. Good mags for the mini (other than 5rd factory) are hard to find and expensive. The mini has that nice woody old-school feel, the AR is ergonomic and techy. It's all good! :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
fastang50: ...the AR is ergonomic and techy.

Also illegal in many places.

V.

·
Registered
216 Posts
mikr: It's not banned in that many places, now is it?

:) I would put an emphasis in a slightly different way:

It's not banned in that many places now, is it?

Also, the number of geographic locations is not as important as the number of people it affects. Kal, and NYC are the most populous locations in this country. Also, those are the two of a few places where one would really want to have an AR handy in case of SHTF.

You can be sure that once such need arises in other places, there will be pressure to ban them there too.

V.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For Fastang50,

What you say makes sense. I was new to another forum and asked a simple question concerning stories about AR's jamming in battle and so forth. I was trying to pick the brains of the real experts, those who actually use them, versus what I have read in gun magazines. All you know what broke loose! None of the anger was directed at me but some of the posters got really riled up. I was sorry I asked after that.

I have an AR10 (Armalite). The .308 has quite a punch. I can see how carrying a close to 10 pound rifle, not to mention ammo, could be a challenge. But this gun is great to shoot. It has never jammed for me but has for others. Always the same mistake too. People try to ease the bolt handle back instead of letting it go.

I have always liked the mini-14 and wished they made a .308 version. I remember somewhere back in the late 70s or early 80s that they worked on a prototype (the XG-I I believe) and it didn't work out. Anyway, I am real interested in getting my hands on one of the bull barrel mini-14's put out by Accuracy Rifle Systems or Accuracy Systems Inc., If and when I do, I'll let you know how it shoots. :cannon:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For Voruzon,

I left Maryland for California in 1980. I finally wised up and left Kalifornia for Missouri in 1990. Now I can keep my toys. In addition, I became a life member of the NRA and a member of the Western Missouri Shooters Alliance (a polticial action committee) and working full bore to protect and EXTEND our rights. When I lived in those other states I was not that involved and I hope to make up for it here.:usa: :usa:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to add that if I buy this super modified mini-14, I have a choice between a standard stock, or a synthetic stock for an additional $70. Are there any downsides to the synthetic stocks in general and the Choates in particular? I'm an old fashioned guy and getting me to go from wood to synthetic will be like getting me to...well....uh...learn how to turn on a computer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
NOTPARS: I have always liked the mini-14 and wished they made a .308 version.

That would be M1A - civilian analog of M14. A great rifle, very popular - illegal in NYC, of course.

I left Maryland for California in 1980. I finally wised up and left Kalifornia for Missouri in 1990.

I left Soviet Union for New York in 1989. So far I am still better off rights-wise. Lately - with the birth of my son - keeping and extending rights became more important to me. I do wish to leave NYC. As for moving to another state, I am watching the developments here The Free State Project with interest and hope.

V.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Voruzon, I am watching the state of Illinois with great interest right now with their bills being proposed.

And there is one thing about the great state of Florida-we have pre-emptive firearms laws, meaning that cities, counties and municipalities cannot come up with their own little firearms restrictions--it must be on a state-wide level. So AR's and the like are very available in Miami--an area where I would definitely want to be able to have one.
Ahh, Miami, a city where they hire tailgunners for their sanitation trucks:D

:rapid:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rugers 308 never made it past prototype, I ordered one and it was scrapped before production, thats why the first kazillion ruger mini-30's had .308 barrels on them
RR

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have also been looking into one of the rifles made by Accuracy Rifle Systems, Accuracy Systems Inc., and the modifications that Cajungeo has listed on this forum that would make a big difference on accuracy. My other choice was to go with a AR-15. I have an AR-10 but it is not only heavy, toting around that rifle with full magazines of .308 gets a tad heavy after a while as well. Did I mention recoil? Anyway, I suppose I could buy another AR in .223 but for some reason really like the idea of the Ruger shooting like one of those rifles. What is the attraction of the Ruger Mini-14? I can't put my finger on it but I sure like those rifles. I thought about a Springfield in .308 but that is also no small rifle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts