Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New poster here. I have a pre-ban Mini-14 that I've recently taken an interest in accurizing. I bought it for defence/hunting several years ago, but never hunted with it because it was so innaccurate. This forum has given me new hope for it. I thought if I could make it consistently shoot 2" or less, then I might take it varmint hunting.

I ordered Mike's video and carefully bedding it according to his instructions. I did some before/after testing with various ammo from sandbags at 100yds. Before bedding I was shooting terrible 3.5" - 6" groups. After bedding, I was able to get it down to averaging 2.5" groups with Black Hills 52gr JHP (8 groups of 5 shots each. Groups ranged from 2.3" to 3", with one 1.2" group that made me do a little dance.)
Note: Winchester white box 45gr wasn't that great in my gun, averaging over 3" @ 100yds.

While bedding made a big improvement, I'm still not 2" or less. So now I have a question about my flash supressor. I've attached a picture of it, and wondered if you all thought it should give me the same advantage as the BW muzzlebrake people have reported good results with? Since a BW muzzlebrake simply adds weight to the barrel to improve it's harmonics, I'd think my flash supressor would accomplish the same goal. Before I bedded my Mini, I shot groups with and without my flash supressor, and I didn't notice any difference. This makes me think that buying the BW muzzlebrake wouldn't help either.

I'm going to try a few other types of ammo, but I'm starting to think I may sell it and buy something more accurate if I can't get it under 2". According to Z-Man's excellent post, shortening my barrel may get me there, but if it doesn't, then a chopped Mini might be harder to sell.

Let me know about my flash supressor, and any other thoughts you may have.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
IMHO -
I'd be really happy with that improvement. Send the trigger to Mike to get it worked on and you'll do better. I personally would'nt get to bent-out-of-shape if my mini never went below 2" - but that's just me talking.
Good luck!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum BlowgunHunter. The flash hider dosen't seem to have the same effect as a muzzle brake. If you use the search button, and enter key words, "muzzle brake", you will find only 2 members that saw no improvement with the muzzle brake. The rest of us have seen groups improve up to 50%.

The 45 grn Winchester varmints 3600 fps, shot 4 1/2" avg groups in my mini after barrel beak in. Just adding the BlackWarrior muzzle brake cut the avg groups to 2 1/4" with same ammo. Bedding the stock, and trigger job cut avg groups to 1 1/2" avg groups with the 45 grn Winchesters, and cut out the flyers. I say average groups! With scope, and sandbag or benchrest.

My story is not an exception, it is the rule for those that have done these basic mods to their mini.

Cutting your barrel will result in similar accuracy improvement with stock bedded and trigger job, but you loose velocity, which you need for varmint hunting.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i will have to argue the point that the flash hider is inferior to the muzzle brake. if you will search all the way back to the beginning of the brake/hider posts you will find that i was one of the first , if not The first one to post about discovering increase in accuracy by installing a Choate Flash hider. i then told my brother about how i went from 6 inch 50 yard groups down to 2.5" to 3" 100 yard groups, he installed a BW brake on his RR and had the same results, in my limited experiance with this, i think that it makes no difference whether you use a brake or a hider, its the weight and mass on the end of the barrel that is damping barrel harmonics that improves your accuracy in the mini-14.....just my .02$

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's my question exactly. Should the flash hider that I have give the same accuracy improvements as the BW Muzzlebrake?
I've seen at gun shows the muzzlebrakes you guys are talking about, and they seemed awfully similar to what I already have on my gun... so I'm real hesitant to spend $25 for something I already have. Know what I mean? Especially since my flash hider didn't help my accuracy, I'm thinking I'd be one of the few guys that the BW muzzlebrake didn't help either. :(
Does anyone else out there have the same flash supressor as I do? I haven't found any place that sells them.

This website has pictures of both gutpile's choate flash hider and the slip-on BW muzzlebrake (they call it a slip-on flash supressor): http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/10-22/

Maybe there's just enough difference between the BW muzzlebrake and my flash hider that one will help my groups tremendously and the other will have no effect... but I doubt it. Especially since gutpile reports the choate flash hider really helped his accuracy, and that is much less similar to the BW muzzlebrake than my flash supressor is.

I don't know... I've been hanging out here reading for several months and haven't found a straight answer to my question, so that's why I posted this. I really hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thank you all for your insight. I really appreciate it.

PS - Tried some different loads in my Ranch Mini last night. (I've bedded it and put a decent scope on it so far.)
I was shocked to see that the high-dollar Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr bullets were spraying wild 4-5" groups! I'd think something was wrong with my gun, except that the 55gr FMJ reloads I shot just before were still in the 2-2.5" range. Guess my rifling twist rate isn't suited for the heavier bullets.

·
Registered
175 Posts
blowgunhunter, the flashhider that was in your link from choate isnt like the one that my mini wears, mine doesnt have the front sight attached to it, it uses the factory ruger sight, and slips around it, like the BW brakes. choate told me when i ordered mine that it had been discontinued and they gave me the number for the folks at Delta-force who still had some in stock, thats where i bought mine. the hider that is on your mini looks awfully close to the one that choate used to make, it looks almost identical to mine, except for mine doesnt have the ring at the end of the hider. not quite sure what you have, but it might be an ealier offering from choate, just a guess.....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Blowgun, you have the Ramline Muzzle Break. Yes it looks like a flash hider but according to Ramline its a muzzle break.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
313 Posts
Your probably right about the name change :p But from what I understand it could be a muzzle break if the exit hole on the business end of the "muzzle break" is smaller than the diameter of the cage part. (Not good at explainig :p ) If it was smaller it would cause the gas to be stopped and shot out the side more than going straight out the front. I cant tell from the pictures if this is the case so i might not know what i'm talking about :p Just my .223 cents.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Carnifex, your take on what is a brake and what is not is right on the money. A muzzle brake will generally have an exit hole that is just slightly larger than caliber. A flash suppressor is a wide open yawning monster. The Black Warrior, for example, is marketed as a muzzle brake but is more closely related to a flash suppressor (don't tell Diane Fienstien). I can't see how it performs as a brake at all because there is no trapping and diversion of gas when you're blowing the gas stream out through that cavernous tube.
What BlowgunHunter has is definitely a flash supressor. And I would assume that it would serve him well to the same end as a Black Warrior would. The most popular speculation among the members of this board is that the weight of whatever FS is hung out there on that thin Ruger bbl is what is changing your accuracy results.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have a ranch mini. Installed a JP enterprises MB. Pins in place over the front sight with locktite and roll pin. Cut my groups in half. I use reloads so groups change. With Fac. 55gr. win I get around 1.5 at 100yds on a good day when I'm doing my part, that is with a scope and bench rest. It helped my mini, can't say it will help you'rs. Above all don't over heat your barrel. Shoot a three shot group and let it cool ( take the 4th round out of the chamber to keep it from collecting heat) this may affect vel. or accuracy. If you are interested in a JP MB, Brownell's has them. The are pricey. Other's have had luck with other MB's. All I can do is contribute my imput and experience.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks like a new brake won't help you. If your gun won't shoot under 4 moa you can send it to Ruger who will work on it for free. However, you have already modified it so....
Maybe try recrowning it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
You can get your barrel recrowned for way less then 100 bucks. I have seen 30-50 being the norm to get it done. Gun Doc does his cut and crown for about 40 I believe.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Are you getting your barrel cleaned really good? I would think that you'd be getting at lease 2" groups with a bedding job. I have the same brake on my mini with the gas ports cut on the top and sides. Is yours the same way?

-tri :usa:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts