Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Accu-Strut website says:

"Reduces group size 50-75% for most older rifles with straight profile barrel and up to 33% for newer, tapered barrels*"

So how does the performance compare between an older 580 series w/ a pencil barrel and Accu-Strut vs. a newer 580 series with the tapered barrel and same Accu-Strut?

Would the Accu-Strut eliminate any differences between the pencil barrel and the tapered barrel?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
A strut will help your mini shoot better, it can be tuned to shoot better than a stock new thicker barrel mini. That's the big draw to the struts, you have to position them in the right place to get the best accuracy for the load you shoot. I have a skinny barrel 196 that I have a homemade strut on, it shoots almost as well as my target mini and better than my thicker barrelled 6.8 mini.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I have a 580 series with a pencil barrel. While I cant speak as to how it would do on a tapered barrel I can tell you that it stopped the shots from stringing on my rifle. I have shot groups just a fuzz over an inch at 100yrds. with the strut on my mini. I have emptied 2 20rd. mags, loaded a 5rd. mag right after and shot 1.5'' groups. The last time I shot it, I shot 10rds. in a 2'' group. I have other mods on my rifle but the accu-strut does what it says it will do.

·
large member
2,089 Posts
The Accu-Strut website says:

"Reduces group size 50-75% for most older rifles with straight profile barrel and up to 33% for newer, tapered barrels*"

So how does the performance compare between an older 580 series w/ a pencil barrel and Accu-Strut vs. a newer 580 series with the tapered barrel and same Accu-Strut?

Would the Accu-Strut eliminate any differences between the pencil barrel and the tapered barrel?
i think your quote basically answers your question. accu-strut works better on pencil barrels than the tapered ones. my emails to kevin basically confirmed this. however, some have reported very good results with tapered barrels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think your quote basically answers your question. accu-strut works better on pencil barrels than the tapered ones. my emails to kevin basically confirmed this. however, some have reported very good results with tapered barrels.
So if I already know that I'm going to accu-strut it, it doesn't really matter whether I go pencil or tapered?

·
large member
2,089 Posts
So if I already know that I'm going to accu-strut it, it doesn't really matter whether I go pencil or tapered?
from what i interpreted on accu-strut's site, not really. the examples listed there show a pencil mini shooting about 4"+ at 100 yards w/o accu-strut. after accu-strut average groups were about 1.5". these were 5 shot groups.

on tapered barrel's kevin's research showed they are about a 2-2.5" gun stock. once accu-strut was applied it seemed to get about the same 1.5" groups (best results).

the impression i got was, tapered barrels are better stock, however, both barrels shoot close to the same with accu-strut.

i think kevin's research is very honest. when i emailed him, he honestly told me results on tapered barrels range from zero to significant. almost all posters i have read have seen significant improvement with a strut on both barrels, but almost always better on the thin barrels.

wish i could tell you more from MY findings, but i just installed mine & haven't had a chance to shoot it yet....sorry. i'll try and let you know when i do.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You know, that's a really good question. I've been pondering that same thing. I bought a 581 because of the tapered, stiffer barrel. It was my first Mini. Without a strut and using the right loads, it's about a 2 MOA rifle. Good enough for me.

Later, I found a 183 for a great price. Haven't shot it much, but whereas the 581 may have a better barrel, the 183 fit/finish (especially in the receiver area) is much better than the 581.

So if you can an older one to shoot like a newer one...and get the better quality workmanship.....well....maybe the older one is the better choice? I don't know. Just throwing it out there. Even with a strut, the pencil barrel models would still be the more economic choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts