Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hard to kill...
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the mini (187 series) and RRA AR and Del-ton AR to the range for a fun day. AR's shot for groups and ammo testing but the mini I shot for fun. The range left some steel plates out at 300yds and I thought it would be cool to give them a shot. Plates measured 18 inches tall by 12 inches wide (minute of man in my book). The only mods/upgrades done to my mini are the ATI strikeforce stock, Ultradot red dot (scout/forward mounted), and Harris short bipod. Shooting junk Russian 55gr. fmj's I connected 17 out of 20 first mag and 19 for 20 on 2nd mag. These were what I call steady controlled fire and switching between each plate alternating (5 yards apart). Not a real "awesome" test, but confidence building for sure! Shot from a bench; I feel would have been better/more realistic in the dirt prone (others at the range prevented that).

My question for y'all is what do you consider acceptable mini accuracy for defensive uses? I have always trusted them for reliability but now I can use it for practical tactical defense (300 yds or less). Strut, trigger job, and bedding to come now....

Rolly

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Took the mini (187 series) and RRA AR and Del-ton AR to the range for a fun day. AR's shot for groups and ammo testing but the mini I shot for fun. The range left some steel plates out at 300yds and I thought it would be cool to give them a shot. Plates measured 18 inches tall by 12 inches wide (minute of man in my book). The only mods/upgrades done to my mini are the ATI strikeforce stock, Ultradot red dot (scout/forward mounted), and Harris short bipod. Shooting junk Russian 55gr. fmj's I connected 17 out of 20 first mag and 19 for 20 on 2nd mag. These were what I call steady controlled fire and switching between each plate alternating (5 yards apart). Not a real "awesome" test, but confidence building for sure! Shot from a bench; I feel would have been better/more realistic in the dirt prone (others at the range prevented that).

My question for y'all is what do you consider acceptable mini accuracy for defensive uses? I have always trusted them for reliability but now I can use it for practical tactical defense (300 yds or less). Strut, trigger job, and bedding to come now....

Rolly
Strut, trigger job, and bedding will be the best upgrades, I bet, that will give you the most satisfaction in the performance of your 187.
Without out doubt, you will find it suitable for defense, and quite possibly hunting. Those 3 are the best things you can do for the older minis.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mine is exactly like yours.

The Mini, or 223 rather, is a 300 yard or less cartridge in my book despite what the military says. So if I can do "minute of man" at that range then I'm happy.

Any farther, and its going to the 308 bolt gun to 600 yards.

Any farther than that and I'm not worrying lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sounds very acceptable to me. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end!

·
Registered
344 Posts
not good enough, must all be all 1 hole groups or at least touching :D
Bulletjunkie is volunteering to be the next 300 yard target because he knows you might miss him at least 3 times. :lol:

Any upgrade is good if you are into that kind of project but for all practical purposes you are good to go as is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i went out this weekend to sight my scope in and shooting groups of two it took me 4 groups to get zeroed, all but the first two are touching and the last shot was so dead on i quit while i was ahead. :D

All i did was a trigger job and the rest is an out of the box ATI factory mini, i find the mini to be more then acceptable as a SHTF / hunting / plinking gun and with the new mini's the only thing i would say will help shoot better is a trigger job.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Haha you ain't kidding about dead on :D

Mine needs a little bit of help to get there.

What range was that at?

·
Hard to kill...
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not good enough, must all be all 1 hole groups or at least touching :D

Does that count? Thats a 3 shot group for what its worth. The RRA shoots pretty ok...MOM(minute of man) accurate too. Lol Not bad from a 16 inch bbl and 1-4x TAC30 scope.

Rolly

·
Registered
211 Posts
I never counted it off but i would say 80 to 100 i guess, might be going out this weekend as well and i will take the time to check the range finder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts