Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I am aware that there are mil-spec and commercial spec handles out there. I have heard of some troubles folks have had with an "F" front sight and the (usually too low) rear sight on a commercial carry handle, etc.

I was just wondering if anyone with a detachable handle could measure the distance from small aperture to the bottom of the sight base, so I can compare the measurement on my obviously-low quality handle.

I took a new upper to the range and she was shooting high, even after a few turns of the front sight post. I had the rear elevation knob turned down as low as she would go, to do a quasi-proper sight-in using the front sight post alone for elevation correction. My front sight post is "F" marked. Based on what I've read, it's more common for guys to shoot low, since the poor quality handles are often too low for the "F" front sight. Since mine is the opposite, I'm wondering if the handle isn't too low but just plain way off any proper spec! As I look at it now, the top of the aperture is sticking out a hair over the "wings," even with the knob turned all the way down. I seem to recall on my old built-in carry handle rifles, the aperture would be safely below the wings.

It looks like on my rear sight, the fine aperture is about 1 9/16" above the sight base (I don't have calipers). The same distance on my Magpul flip up sight looks like about 1/16" lower.

Thanks for any comparison data! And have a great July 4th! :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Howdy,

I am aware that there are mil-spec and commercial spec handles out there. I have heard of some troubles folks have had with an "F" front sight and the (usually too low) rear sight on a commercial carry handle, etc.

I was just wondering if anyone with a detachable handle could measure the distance from small aperture to the bottom of the sight base, so I can compare the measurement on my obviously-low quality handle.

I took a new upper to the range and she was shooting high, even after a few turns of the front sight post. I had the rear elevation knob turned down as low as she would go, to do a quasi-proper sight-in using the front sight post alone for elevation correction. My front sight post is "F" marked. Based on what I've read, it's more common for guys to shoot low, since the poor quality handles are often too low for the "F" front sight. Since mine is the opposite, I'm wondering if the handle isn't too low but just plain way off any proper spec! As I look at it now, the top of the aperture is sticking out a hair over the "wings," even with the knob turned all the way down. I seem to recall on my old built-in carry handle rifles, the aperture would be safely below the wings.

It looks like on my rear sight, the fine aperture is about 1 9/16" above the sight base (I don't have calipers). The same distance on my Magpul flip up sight looks like about 1/16" lower.

Thanks for any comparison data! And have a great July 4th! :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Don't know what happened. The carry handle on the Colt MT6731 I just bought has the ears ABOVE the sight aperture. The sight is not about the ears. Top of Pic rail to top of protective ears looks to be right at 2 inches with my caliper. Front sight is also marked F. Haven't gotten it to the range yet.
Bepe

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I know it's "not about the ears." But, if you saw a carry handle on which the aperture extended a half-inch above the ears, I imagine you might suspect something was wrong. That was my point, since the rifle was shooting much too high with this sight installed, even when the sight was bottomed-out.

Since that post, I picked up a nice mil-spec handle. The finish is 100% better than the other one, a proper forged part with a dull coating that matched a forged receiver. (I know it's not about the finish either, just wanted to share the apparent quality with you.) The new part also has the proper set screw you should find on an A2 sight. It was lacking on the cheapo one.

With the new handle installed, my rifle was zeroed with no problems at all. My take on the matter is that the handle I received with the upper was simply a poorly-made Chinese knock-off for airsoft junkies. The new part looks great, feels solid and (most importantly) functions just like the sights on my old built-in carry handle A2!

Sweet. (y)

Thanks for the comments and be well.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
There are different carry handles for different models. The carbines with an "F"(Flat-top) front sight housing have a different carry handle sight height than the M16A4 Non-"f"-marked front sight housing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep.

New handle looks and feels like a forged upper. Height is correct for "F" marked front sight base. Works like a charm! (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts