Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive me if this is a silly question. As I posted elsewhere, I am just recently back in the AR world after a long hiatus!

Is it normal to have a SLIGHT amount of wiggle on a properly installed A2 stock? I know I swapped stocks and installed both A1 and A2 stocks years ago. But I just can't remember. I jjust removed the six-position stock from my M&P Sport 2 and replaced it with a standard A2 stock. All seems well with the buffer detent, take down pin, etc. Function check is OK.

It's just that if I grab the stock and wiggle it, I can get it to move just a bit around the extension tube. I'm talking about less than 1/16th inch here, but just enough to feel it. It's kinda like the very slight wiggle in A2 handguards- you barely see it but if you grab the forearm you feel them moving around the barrel just a bit, know what I mean?

I'm using a new tube, new screws and a used stock that I have used in the past.

Is this normal?

Thanks for your help!

(Edited due to my typos)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All you philosophy majors familiar with Occam's Razor? :oops:

I figured, let me assume the most obvious solution before getting into the more elaborate ones. When I installed the stock, for the last step (tightening the stock screw), I did not go get my big honkin foot-long screwdriver that folks usually use in videos and diagrams explaining stock installation. I used a much smaller one. So I figured, let me try the big one.

Well, with the long, heavy screwdriver, that screw easily turned about 3/4 turn more! Now the stock is noticeably tighter and I have to really go after it to make it wiggle?

Does that sound more like it, or have I covered up a problem with a bigger tool?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Just make sure of 2 things, Lex.
1. The buffer rebound pad does not touch the screw threads that -may- protrude into the buffer tube(receiver extension)
2. There is a hole bored through the buttstock retaining screw- it must be clear and able to exhaust air from the buffer tube when the action cycles(and quickly!)

Reactions: Sparkie

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just make sure of 2 things, Lex.
1. The buffer rebound pad does not touch the screw threads that -may- protrude into the buffer tube(receiver extension)
2. There is a hole bored through the buttstock retaining screw- it must be clear and able to exhaust air from the buffer tube when the action cycles(and quickly!)

Thank you sir.

1. Forgive me if I'm not understanding you... but how can I verify that with the stock installed? It all seemed to install smoothly, if that indicates anything.

2. Roger that- I used a proper A2 upper stock screw with the drainage/ventilation hole! I'm not trying to use an A2 stock with an A1 extension and no spacer, or something like that, if that helps.

But is a tiny bit of wiggle OK? (It's almost unnoticeable now).

Also, do you use blue Loctite on the upper screw on an A1 or A2? I did not, and I don't recall doing so back in the day.

Thanks again!

(Edited to add purty pictures)

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I've never had to use loctite. If anything, all hardware with threads should have a light film of oil, esp. those involving dissimilar metals(alum+steel). One way to check for interference is to put a thin film of grease, preferably "colored", to the end of the buffer rebound pad. Carefully re-assemble. Cycle the action forcibly a few times, and remove the buffer assy. Shine a light down the tube, to check for grease transference.
A very tiny amount of wiggle is ok, I guess. If you still cant get it tight, the stock may be a few thou too short. Try a thin washer under the screw head, it may help. Or substitute another stock. Or just leave it alone. My match rifle has a little wiggle, and it still shoots very, very, well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to be super-certain, I took it apart the other day and checked all. I was thinking one possibility might be that the extension could be a hair tighter before installing the stock. So, before reinstalling the stock, I gave the extension just a nudge with the wrench. She barely moved. Then I reinstalled the stock and screw, as before.

Now, the stock is rock solid.

Took her to the range and she runs like a top. :cool:

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
802 Posts
A few more things or things already discussed done slightly differently. The rifle type butt stock requires the longer buffer and buffer spring. Blue Loctite SHOULD be used sparingly on the receiver extension tube threads AND the butt plate attaching screw.

A dedicated proper gunsmith turn screw screw driver should be used. Make sure the blade ends match closely with the slot in the buttplate screw. A firm torquing using just wrist strength is all that is required but make sure it is tight. Torque wrench not needed.

If the screw gets nicked up it can easily be touched up with some cold blue. Just use a little bit and then a water soaked Q-tip to remove the excess. It can be dried with acetone. The joint between the butt stock and the receiver should look very tight with no play.

Hope this helps. 100"s of builds but long ago and far away. Now an Old Coot! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts