Perfect Union banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
8,866 Posts
I am excited to see if this one has any darker wood but if not, I am ready to refinish.
Just an FYI...
Chestnut Ridge Supply has an alcohol base Dark Walnut Military Stock Stain that they offer, which can be wiped over any existing finish without ill effect.
From my experience it mixes with, and darkens the existing finish, becoming a part of it.
I've used it on a handful of different rifles that I own, and even used TruOil over the top with very good results.
It does have a bit of a red hue to it, but that is fitting depending on the firearm.
Bottom line, it is a whole lot simpler than a complete refinish job.

·
Banned
8,866 Posts
Placed an order this afternoon for a #5868 Mini 30, for the ATM stock which is months out yet.
Maybe I should say I placed a 'backorder', as that is what my guy had to do, backorder one.
Who knows, maybe everything will time out to arrive around the same time? :p

That's going to bring the Mini count to five, should I be worried that I may have a serious problem? Should I seek professional help? :eek:

Reactions: Sparkie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

First post and new (to me) Mini owner. Picked up an A-TM from Ruger site last week. Arrived in about a day! Anyways I love it with one exception! The swivel mount is useless!? I had to use a small round file to clean up the hole. Then dropped an Uncle Mikes Swivel in there. But it won’t close! There just isn’t enough clearance. I have a generic swivel too and it too wouldn’t fit. Samson posted on their FB that they used a GrovTec 1” swivel and posted pics. But how different could it be from an Uncle Mikes? Any suggestions?

·
Formerly "raf"
4,255 Posts
Hey Guys,

First post and new (to me) Mini owner. Picked up an A-TM from Ruger site last week. Arrived in about a day! Anyways I love it with one exception! The swivel mount is useless!? I had to use a small round file to clean up the hole. Then dropped an Uncle Mikes Swivel in there. But it won't close! There just isn't enough clearance. I have a generic swivel too and it too wouldn't fit. Samson posted on their FB that they used a GrovTec 1" swivel and posted pics. But how different could it be from an Uncle Mikes? Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum!

Not entirely sure about your specific issue. GrovTec is Mil-Spec, and Uncle Mike's is not. Sounds (if I understand correctly) that UM sling swivel does not fit on GrovTec sling stud.

If so, then buy a GrovTec sling swivel. Enjoy the Mil-spec ratttle-free unit.

Yes, GrovTec is expensive, but you will never need to replace it.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
24 Posts

So, after I received the second stock and it was really no different than the first; I decided it was time to refinish. First picture shows the second stock with some interesting grain. Second picture shows that one in early stages of refinish next to the other as received unit. The other pics show the pair refinished and put back together with more correct parts. The allen head stainless screws were replaced with slotted screws and the completed GB was put together with an original bakelite grip and original sling. This was an original stainless GB folder that had the stock replaced with a Choate folder before I purchased it. I will be selling the Choate stainless folder and possibly the other Samsom unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Samson Stock in record time

For those of you whom dont want to wait for your folding stock just keep an eye on Rugers website. Ordered mine on 10/27 and will have it by 11/5. I imagine Samson has to supply Ruger a certain amount at specified times.

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Folder Update

Just a small update on my Folding stock I received back in August. It was doing good until I lost it, along with all my high cap mags and green tip ammo. All I have left is California compliant firearms. Oh, and my pistols also turned up missing. It's the darnedest thing I've ever seen...beside the elections of course.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,255 Posts
I would think that making a pistol grip out of wood would be possible. Trick is to get the same type of wood as the stock and refinish both stock and pistol grip to match. Drilling the hole for the bolt that secures the PG to the stock could be tricky.

ETA: Suggest you closely examine pix of Thompson SMG REAR Pistol Grip to get the wood grain oriented properly for best strength. @SodaPop69

Or just sand the plastic pistol grip and go to a Hobby/Model store that sells paints and find a shade of paint that matches the stock. You WILL want to bring the stock (without the barreled action!) to the store with you. I'd call ahead and make arrangements with the store beforehand.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just purchased a Ruger Mini14 Ranch rifle w/Samson folder. Looks good but would prefer a wood grip. Any idea where to find one? View attachment 68158
eons ago I had a sidefolder Mini stock with a wooden grip, also had a copy of the Mini 14 stock just as it is now but it had a M-16 style grip. If your good with wood working or know someone who is, it would be fairly easy to make one.
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory
Wood Eyewear Varnish Shotgun Air gun

·
Registered
6 Posts
I shouldnt be doing this until I order one first but I'm gonna be a pal, and put it out there. Just minutes ago Samson Man. listed "IT" :D

https://www.samson-mfg.com/a-tm-folding-stock-for-the-ruger-mini-14.html

I'm gone to my dealer and ordering one today. $279.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::):D:cannon::rapid::sniper:
I just got one the other day and milled a new stock bracket with a vertical rail Thordsen buffer tube adapter. Put on a BCM gunfighter stock and tube. Also shortened the 18" barrel to 14-5/8" and pin and welded the factory Ruger flash hider to make it 16-1/4". It's balanced and handles well. The gunfighter give you a much higher and more comfortable cheek weld than the folder.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Sports equipment

·
Formerly "raf"
4,255 Posts
It's a pity that most don't have the skill and machinery that Magnadane1 has.

That said, I would NOT set up my Mini in the same configuration. All respects to Magdnadane1, and to each his own.
I wish him all the best!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a pity that most don't have the skill and machinery that Magnadane1 has.

That said, I would NOT set up my Mini in the same configuration. All respects to Magdnadane1, and to each his own.
I wish him all the best!
Well, I appreciate the part about skill, but I'm not lucky enough to own machinery. I did it with a hand mill file, a cordless drill, an $8 carbon steel crow bar for part steel, and some patience. Here is the replica bracket before I shaped the upright into a pic rail:
Wood Wood stain Font Hardwood Plank

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I just got one the other day and milled a new stock bracket with a vertical rail Thordsen buffer tube adapter. Put on a BCM gunfighter stock and tube. Also shortened the 18" barrel to 14-5/8" and pin and welded the factory Ruger flash hider to make it 16-1/4". It's balanced and handles well. The gunfighter give you a much higher and more comfortable cheek weld than the folder. View attachment 68222
you evil genius what a perfect collaboration of black and brown

101 - 119 of 119 Posts