Perfect Union banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Maybe after a year, offer a molded polymer version of the stock instead of wood. Should not take much to mold in extra anchor points in the steel parts or make the pistol grip molded in as part of the stock.

Another thing in what I call the PIP would be two struts, not just one. Also adding a cheek piece and/or a recoil pad.

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Just an update,

Got the call from Samson yesterday, the folder stock will be in my hands in 2weeks. After 35 years and 8 months lol I finally get to have one. So, anyone who has ordered on or near Feb 4 should be getting an email. Ruger's webite showed them in stock yesterday, and I checked their site today and already out of stock. :blink:

Boy I tell ya, who ever the genius was at Ruger that said these things would never sell should be fired, or given a nice heaping plate of crow to eat.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,255 Posts
Maybe after a year, offer a molded polymer version of the stock instead of wood. Should not take much to mold in extra anchor points in the steel parts or make the pistol grip molded in as part of the stock.

Another thing in what I call the PIP would be two struts, not just one. Also adding a cheek piece and/or a recoil pad.
Unsure if there is much demand for a syn version of the folder, but the cost of making the mold/prototyping it/testing it would be significant. I believe the only way this might work out economically is for Ruger/Samson to offer some significant additional features, as you intimate. Some storage inside the hand grip, with a secure door for the compartment would be low-hanging fruit. Attachment points for Pic-rails/lights/slings and other such things would be another obvious value-add.

As it is now, Ruger/Samson already have the CNC/stock-making machine specs on-hand-- for wooden stocks; Nothing to do but dust them off and re-program the machine. A molded plastic stock is a very different matter.

I'd like to see a syn version offered, but I'm not going to hold my breath, either.

If I was in charge at Choate Machine and Tool, the only other current mfr of a side-folder for the Mini, I'd be looking into things that might enhance the viability of my side-folding stocks, both Mini-14/30, and 10-22.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ordered one in late April off the Ruger website rather then from Samson, primarily because Ruger offered free shipping and wouldn't charge my credit card until the item shipped. Finally received it yesterday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got mine in recently. I ordered from Brownells - just because I tend to deal with them a lot. Put in the order on 6/11 and it shipped out 8/08 so a little less than 2 months. Not too bad. Mine is on the light side but it doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If there's another stimulus coming, I could 'invest' in a A-Team looking min-14/AC556. ;)

·
Banned
8,866 Posts
I just ordered one of the ATMs yesterday.
Talked with them on the phone last week about one of the BTMs that I've had on order for about a month now.
The gentleman told me that the BTMs were running about two months out, so I should have it about this time next month maybe.
He said that the ATMs were running between four to six months out, if ordered now.
He also told me that they do not charge your CC or DC until they ship, at which time they will phone you to verify your current card info prior to charging it and shipping.

I don't have a Mini that I'm interested in putting in the ATM yet... but I will! :D
(thinking a stainless Mini 30 Tactical if I can find one or they produce them again one day)

Just picked up, week before last, one of the 2014 50th Anniversary contest winner 10/22s, with the flash hider, winged front sight, Mini rear sight and rail combo to drop in the BTM when it finally arrives.

Wound up changing to the higher cheek weld option included with the stock, and mounting a TruGlo that I had on the Anniversary Edition when it arrived.
Damned but I like this setup as it sits, but the barrel and action scream for the folder... guess I've an excuse to pick up another 10/22 for the synthetic stock once the folder arrives! YAY ME! :p

Attachments

·
Formerly "raf"
4,255 Posts
A certain amount of play/wobble is inherent in the stock-arm hinge joint of the Ruger stock. Most of it can be removed with the correct round stainless steel shims/washers glued into place, centered on the pivot post. Simple to accomplish, IMHO.

OTOH, shim it too loosely, and it will be mighty hard to open/close once some sand gets into the joint.
Will take some care to shim the joint tight enough to exclude sand, but still operate freely.

In the (Unlikely, going-on impossible) event this stock is ever redesigned/re-engineered, some thin, sealed bearings could be used at the stock-arm pivot point, and the pivot point for the butt plate. Using such sealed bearings would drive up the cost, although re-making the molds for the butt stock arm pivot joint would likely be vastly more expensive than the bearings.

As an aside, such a re-engineered folder stock would probably incorporate a synthetic main stock, and the hand grip would be user-replaceable with common handgrips available for the AR. The stock would either come with, or be designed to, accept common Picatinny rails on the sides and bottom of the fore end, and perhaps come with molded-in sockets for slings. The rear butt plate would have designed-in provisions for various types of sling swivels. Hey, a guy can dream, right? But I digress...

Ruger originally designed this stock with a certain price-point in mind. Altering it now would drive up the cost significantly. However, the proposed changes would eliminate all slop in the stock, likely for a lifetime's hard use.

OTOH, might be a fix. Find a sealed bearing of the correct internal diameter that will accept the pivot pin--perhaps with some shimming/collar. The sealed bearing must be the same width as the opening in the socket. Even this can be shimmed, if need be, or possible to remove some metal from inside the socket, if need be, but a PITA. Drill/mill out the pivot hole of the tongue to <<just>> accept the (possibly shimmed) sealed bearing, and install everything. Done right, zero stock arm slop/side movement. Should be more dust/sand resistant than the original pivot joint, and last a lifetime.

Of course, nobody's going to do this, because doing so would be expensive in terms of machining/gunsmith time. Sealed Bearings of the size required are not large, nor expensive. But I believe it could be done. Most anything can be done, if desired.

In similar manner, one might be able to re-manufacture the butt plate pivot joint, but again, doing so will be more costly than most folks will want to pay.

The only reason I go on about this is that I've seen many old clapped-out Ruger folders which had very detectable slop in their pivot points. Some had so much wear/slop/wobble that the lock-up to the side of the stock was made less secure than desirable.

Of course, all this stock slop/wobble does nothing to enhance the accuracy of the Mini, and it has taken enough of a (mostly unjustified, IMHO) beating on that score that adding another generation of stocks which will wear-out sooner than the user thinks seems questionable.

I've posted on Arfcom about buying some thin grease gun needles, and injecting synthetic CV Joint grease into the pivot points of the Ruger folders. Will mention it here.

I doubt they come from the factory greased, and they should!

Forgive my blathering, it is a fault of mine, and I regret it.

·
Banned
8,866 Posts
Got a phone call from Samson today in order to verify address and billing info.
My BTM for Pop's 10/22 should ship within two weeks, and I'll post a pic in the 10/22 thread when I get it.

I asked the woman and she said that the ATMs are running five to eight months out from the date ordered... she said more likely eight. :(

I guess that just gives me time to hunt down a tactical Mini 30 in stainless! :D

Reactions: jumpluff

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered an ATM directly from Ruger on 6/25 and received notification of shipment 2 months later. I received it the end of Aug and fit it to my early GB folder that had the stock changed years ago to a Choate folder. I did have a fitment issue with the liner but with a little tweaking it now works fine. I tried my mini-30 in the folder and it fit fine before the tweaks. So, I was very happy other than the light color of the wood and never experienced any sloppiness in the swivel. I have had factory folders in the past and some would have a little more slop than others but nothing more than I would expect for that type of action.

So, now I have decided that I want to refinish to make this a little darker but decided to order another ATM to see if it is any different. I was not in any hurry and placed the order online with Ruger on 9/10 near midnight. Now a week later I have received notification that it has shipped and I will have it Tuesday.

I am excited to see if this one has any darker wood but if not, I am ready to refinish.

If anyone needs a Choate folder stainless model: I have one available.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,255 Posts
I ordered an ATM directly from Ruger on 6/25 and received notification of shipment 2 months later. I received it the end of Aug and fit it to my early GB folder that had the stock changed years ago to a Choate folder. I did have a fitment issue with the liner but with a little tweaking it now works fine. I tried my mini-30 in the folder and it fit fine before the tweaks. So, I was very happy other than the light color of the wood and never experienced any sloppiness in the swivel. I have had factory folders in the past and some would have a little more slop than others but nothing more than I would expect for that type of action.

So, now I have decided that I want to refinish to make this a little darker but decided to order another ATM to see if it is any different. I was not in any hurry and placed the order online with Ruger on 9/10 near midnight. Now a week later I have received notification that it has shipped and I will have it Tuesday.

I am excited to see if this one has any darker wood but if not, I am ready to refinish.

If anyone needs a Choate folder stainless model: I have one available.
Thanks for the kind offer, and I'm sure some folks will be interested.

Meaning no offense, but I think I'll stick with my painted stainless steel Butler Creek folder. Unfortunately no longer produced, but the Choate folder is a second-best.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Butler Creek ordered a lot of stuff from them.
Single arm folder I had had some wiggle when locked up.
I welded a 3/4"x1" round can to the bottom and used a compression
spring instead of the disk spring.
Made it a little harder to unlock but no more wiggle after that.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts