Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

· Banned
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

· Banned
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The February 2020 issue of the American Rifleman(NRA member magazine) has an article on it. It is a product made with the collaboration and support of Ruger firearms according to the article. The value of those vintage folders will probably take a hit. I see that the model name makes a reference to the A Team show.
Yes, so they say that they are using the original molds to cast the hinged parts and Ruger also supplied the birch stocks. Not sure why Samson has it listed as Walnut. That grain patter in the picture is not Walnut at all. But with Ruger helping out this will be as close to the original as you can get. The days of the $800 stock are gone :cool:

· Registered
5,858 Posts
While originalisty is good, my GB wasn't a folder as it left the factory. When I got it, it was in a folder configuration. but with a Choate folder (1980). Always thought it was original until 2015. Didn't seem to hurt my feelings: shot great and had a certain giggle factor - even without that magic switch!

Have since put it in a factory stock, but keep the Choate folder in order to return it to where I first got it.

Were it to have left the factory as a folder, I'd likely bite. But a folder is a folder in most respects, so I'm happy with my '80 circa Choate - with a hardwood pistol grip.

· Registered
2,292 Posts
If I understood correctly the folder will not fit the older 180 and 190 series Mini's.
Maybe they will remedy that in the future. Until then the cost of the original will recede,
but will be stay more expensive then the new one. IMO
I assume barrel size is the problem, an insert could solve the problem I guess.

· Banned
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If I understood correctly the folder will not fit the older 180 and 190 series Mini's.
Maybe they will remedy that in the future. Until then the cost of the original will recede,
I'm sorry man but I had to look it up and see a few pictures, but there are clearly new mini 14's in old folding stocks and new mini 14 in old curved butt stocks, and vice versa. If Samson used the dimensions of the 580 Mini 14's then the old ones should be good to go with a little fitting. It shouldnt be anything major for a bunch of arm chair cowboys like us. :cool:

· Registered
9 Posts
I think that you might be misunderstanding what Samson is saying. The original Mini-14 and AC556 (full-auto-capable Mini-14) had serial number prefixes that started with 180 and 190, respectively. Shortly thereafter, Ruger made some major changes to the Mini-14 and AC556, rendering these original rifles incompatible in a lot of ways with subsequent production (to include stocks).

Except for the 190-series AC556, any Mini-14 starting with a serial number prefix of 181 or higher should be able to interchange stocks (at least mostly; 580+ series Minis have slightly larger receivers, but everything can be made to fit with a little work). Samson Manufacturing is correct that this stock will not fit the 180-series Mini-14 and 190-series AC556... but ONLY those two specific serial prefixes.

· Registered
9 Posts
THIS little nugget was JUST ADDED to the product page on Samson's website:

"We are looking at shipping our initial orders sometime in March 2020."

I think it's safe to say that Samson has half-***ed this roll-out (now it's a PRE-order!)

The latest from Samson's Facebook:

We've had a tremendous response to the release of our new stock. The below FAQ should answer most of your questions. We are currently accepting pre-orders. Retail pricing is $279.99

A-TM Stock FAQ

1. Will it fit my rifle?
The A-TM stock will fit all models and calibers of the Mini-14 and Mini Thirty other than the AC-556 (see below)

2. How close is it to the original?
Cast components are coming off the original Ruger molds and wood is also supplied by Ruger.
New production wood is Walnut instead of the original Birch, and pistol grips are Polymer where the originals were Bakelite. The retention screw uses an Allen-head instead of the original slotted head design. Other than that, it is the original stock.
The A-TM stock has a length of pull of 13.5” just like the original.

3. When will it be available?
We are looking at shipping our initial orders sometime in March 2020.

4. Can I get it in Blue?
You can get an A-TM stock in any color you want as long as it is Stainless.

5. Will it be available for Overseas orders?
Due to pending changes in export regulations, the A-TM may be available without the need for an export license by March 2020. An export license is currently required to ship outside of the US (this means you, Canada). Check our website for additional information as it becomes available.

6. Will it be available with the AC-556 selector switch cut?
We expect to have an AC-556 compatible model available as a Samson exclusive later this year. Stay tuned for updates as they become available.

· Banned
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I finally got around to ordering mine, total for me though was $299.59. And I apparently have to retract my first statement on the wood stock. Apparently it will come in Walnut and not birch. According to the new disclaimer about the walnut stock on their order page, and a new video I found from Samson:
They say it a few times, "the stocks are walnut, not the old birch," and "the injected mold plastic grip are stronger than the old bakelites." If this is true, then it will make these new stocks statistically better than the old folders. I'm about to burst out of my socks I'm so excited. :eek:

1 - 20 of 120 Posts