Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys, this sucks, and I'm sorry in advance for being the bearer of bad news. IANAL and the analysis I provide is strictly amateur and personal. Consult with professionals before making life changing decisions and for s***'s sake don't post about plans to break the laws online for everyone to read!

Today the following bills passed the Kali Senate:

SB47: Bullet Button ban; a matching bill, AB48 has already passed the Kali Assembly. Those of you with "featured" rifles that avoid the AWB by not having a detachable box magazine are hit, hard.
Strike the AB48 reference above and see the correction as post script. The rest of this follows SB47, which is the bullet button ban and is correct. Sorry for the mistake but I based the AB48 reference to a news report - should have read the full text first. So far everything else looks okay.
Not sure about the exact ramifications, since if I am reading this right, the minute it takes effect the weapons all magically become AW and as such are unlawfully possessed. Tricky interplay between this and SB374, since that one takes things that aren't AW's and makes them legally possessed if registered. My guess would be that they'll make it so that everyone with a featured but BB'd rifle will be screwed and everyone with a featureless rifle will have to register (RAW - registered assault weapon) under 374 but just to be dicks they won't let you add features to it even though its an AW. Check at calguns.net for real legal analysis - they have actual honest to gosh lawyers. Just reading these damn' things gives me a headache and I'm an academic who's used to reading dry c*** like this.

SB567: Bans the Judge and other shotgun pistols, reclassifying them as AW - current owners register them, become non-transferable to heirs. Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT POST IT ONLINE!

SB53: Establishes a permit to buy ammo, along with a fee system. Mandates a background check on every purchase of ammo. What is the cost for the background check? Get it while you can, guys. Ignore everyone who says "hoarding is bad", 'cuz if this thing is fully enacted ammo for Californians is going to be pricey and hard to obtain in the future.

SB396: Removes grandfather clause from existing standard cap (greater than 10 shot) magazines. Turn 'em in, run 'em through the wood chipper, get 'em out of state, or be an outlaw. Take your choice. Whatever you choose, don't post it online for everyone to read!

SB755: Expands the list of prohibited persons to a variety of non-felony offenses. Here's the text:Bill Text: CA SB755 | 2013-2014 | Regular Session | Introduced | LegiScan. If you're one of 'em, either give up your guns and shooting for the next 10 years (its a 10 year prohibition is my understanding), or leave the state is my advice. No point in being where you can be charged with felony possession when a simple move will keep you on the right side of the law. Remember that a Kali felony will become part of the federal system and keep you from buying/owning/possessing guns ever again, anywhere. DO NOT wait for an APP SWAT team to show up at your door. If this is enacted and you're one of the affected people who is legal to own guns anywhere but Kali, you have been warned. IANAL so check with a real lawyer if you think you may be covered by this thing. There's a lot to it and reading it over made my head swim. Talk to a professional if there's even a chance you're covered.

SB683: Establishes a safety certificate/mandated training to purchase a rifle. Yet another speed bump to entering "the gun culture".

SB374: This is the big one, all you mini 14 and mini 30 owners - your guns are about to become AW's because they are a. semi auto and b. have a detachable box magazine. You have to register them to keep them legally, and won't be able to transfer them to your heirs. Unless of course Kali gets around to passing another law requiring you to turn 'em in while you're still above ground. Whatever you choose to do, DO NOT POST ABOUT IT ONLINE!

SB299: Mandates reporting to the law of any gun that is lost or stolen, within 48 hours. Nominal penalty now, look for it to ramp up over time.

SB293: Requires "smart guns" personalized to the owner. See my posts on smart guns over in the law forum for more. This will freeze the handgun roster even more thoroughly than the newly enforced requirement to add microstamping.

Read here for more: Senate passes series of gun, ammunition bills - Times Union

A sad day for Californians, and by extension the rest of us. The gun policies and laws appear to start in Kali and expand out.

Wish I could give you guys some good news for a change.
Best,
Grumpy
EDIT: Having now read the full text of more of the bills I have discovered that the reporting on AB48 that I based my first entry on was erroneous. It is a ban on magazines greater than 10 shots (repeal of grandfather clause) as well as a ban on magazines as parts kits, and a series of mental health restrictions on gun ownership that will need a lot more study to fully grasp. No bullet button language that I can see. So SB47 now looks like it needs a matching AB to become law. Still reading to find out which one that is. Kali statutes are a mess, even worse than the Illinois Revised Statutes and case law. Didn't think that was possible. Full text here: Bill Text: CA AB48 | 2013-2014 | Regular Session | Amended | LegiScan AB500 also passed and there is the following that appears to set up some restrictions on 80% receivers:"As used in Sections 29010 to 29150, inclusive, "firearm" includes the unfinished frame or receiver of a weapon that can be readily converted to the functional condition of a finished frame or receiver." Since I'm not sure yet what the other clauses are (need more legal searches to find 'em) not sure, but it looks ominous.
PPS Guess that's the good thing about Kali statutes - they're a passable cure for insomnia.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
374 attacks weapons much more common than the Mini14. It also turns a standard 10/22 into an assault weapon.

I let you take lead on this announcement today because I just couldnt even bring myself to do so. We still have the assembly to go through before it hits the governors desk.

My favorite part of this is the media silence. Federal level legislation got intense coverage. State level is hush hush. This not only attacks "gun nuts"

its an attack on the hunter

and even attacks the Boy Scouts

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Okay guys, this sucks, and I'm sorry in advance for being the bearer of bad news. IANAL and the analysis I provide is strictly amateur and personal. Consult with professionals before making life changing decisions and for s***'s sake don't post about plans to break the laws online for everyone to read!

Today the following bills passed the Kali Senate:

SB47: Bullet Button ban; a matching bill, AB48 has already passed the Kali Assembly. Those of you with "featured" rifles that avoid the AWB by not having a detachable box magazine are hit, hard. Not sure about the exact ramifications, since if I am reading this right, the minute it takes effect the weapons all magically become AW and as such are unlawfully possessed. Tricky interplay between this and SB374, since that one takes things that aren't AW's and makes them legally possessed if registered. My guess would be that they'll make it so that everyone with a featured but BB'd rifle will be screwed and everyone with a featureless rifle will have to register (RAW - registered assault weapon) under 374 but just to be dicks they won't let you add features to it even though its an AW. Check at calguns.net for real legal analysis - they have actual honest to gosh lawyers. Just reading these damn' things gives me a headache and I'm an academic who's used to reading dry c*** like this.

SB567: Bans the Judge and other shotgun pistols, reclassifying them as AW - current owners register them, become non-transferable to heirs. Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT POST IT ONLINE!

SB53: Establishes a permit to buy ammo, along with a fee system. Mandates a background check on every purchase of ammo. What is the cost for the background check? Get it while you can, guys. Ignore everyone who says "hoarding is bad", 'cuz if this thing is fully enacted ammo for Californians is going to be pricey and hard to obtain in the future.

SB396: Removes grandfather clause from existing standard cap (greater than 10 shot) magazines. Turn 'em in, run 'em through the wood chipper, get 'em out of state, or be an outlaw. Take your choice. Whatever you choose, don't post it online for everyone to read!

SB755: Expands the list of prohibited persons to a variety of non-felony offenses. Here's the text:Bill Text: CA SB755 | 2013-2014 | Regular Session | Introduced | LegiScan. If you're one of 'em, either give up your guns and shooting for the next 10 years (its a 10 year prohibition is my understanding), or leave the state is my advice. No point in being where you can be charged with felony possession when a simple move will keep you on the right side of the law. Remember that a Kali felony will become part of the federal system and keep you from buying/owning/possessing guns ever again, anywhere. DO NOT wait for an APP SWAT team to show up at your door. If this is enacted and you're one of the affected people who is legal to own guns anywhere but Kali, you have been warned. IANAL so check with a real lawyer if you think you may be covered by this thing. There's a lot to it and reading it over made my head swim. Talk to a professional if there's even a chance you're covered.

SB683: Establishes a safety certificate/mandated training to purchase a rifle. Yet another speed bump to entering "the gun culture".

SB374: This is the big one, all you mini 14 and mini 30 owners - your guns are about to become AW's because they are a. semi auto and b. have a detachable box magazine. You have to register them to keep them legally, and won't be able to transfer them to your heirs. Unless of course Kali gets around to passing another law requiring you to turn 'em in while you're still above ground. Whatever you choose to do, DO NOT POST ABOUT IT ONLINE!

SB299: Mandates reporting to the law of any gun that is lost or stolen, within 48 hours. Nominal penalty now, look for it to ramp up over time.

SB293: Requires "smart guns" personalized to the owner. See my posts on smart guns over in the law forum for more. This will freeze the handgun roster even more thoroughly than the newly enforced requirement to add microstamping.

Read here for more: Senate passes series of gun, ammunition bills - Times Union

A sad day for Californians, and by extension the rest of us. The gun policies and laws appear to start in Kali and expand out.

Wish I could give you guys some good news for a change.
Best,
Grumpy
1) Sounds like SKS's will be the rifle of choice in Ca.

2) Maybe ruger will help us out with a factory mod to make the mini non-detach. They threatened to do that back in 1989 after the shooting of kids in Stockton, Ca.

3) The Dems are going to get a big backlash if 10/22's, marlin 795's and Rem 750's are classified as AW's, even some of them have those!

4) Some Sheriffs have already said they won't enforce this, including mine.

5) Nevada, here we come! (for ammo and to retire, or just leave the commie bastards!)

6) If/when this passes, I and alot of other good taxpayers are going to leave and let the titsuckers and thier politicians hold the (empty) bags. Commiefornia will become the state equivalent of detroit.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
374 attacks weapons much more common than the Mini14. It also turns a standard 10/22 into an assault weapon.

I let you take lead on this announcement today because I just couldnt even bring myself to do so. We still have the assembly to go through before it hits the governors desk.

My favorite part of this is the media silence. Federal level legislation got intense coverage. State level is hush hush. This not only attacks "gun nuts"

its an attack on the hunter

and even attacks the Boy Scouts

Hi whofarted;

Yes, its a broad based attack on all aspects of lawful gun ownership. I don't know if SB374 will pass the Assembly or not, but a bad sign is that SB47 has a matching bill that has passed the Assembly. If that gets signed all the bullet button guys with off list AR's, etc. are reamed.

For the Californians reading this, contact your reps. Do it NOW. And don't forget to politely lobby the governor to the effect that you do not want to lose any more of your rights. Be polite though! Its easy to lose your cool on this kind of c*** (trust me) and you don't want to make your case worse by sounding "unreasonable". Maybe they'll just hammer the AR and AK guys with off list receivers using bullet buttons and that way Brown can appear "moderate". Don't know.

Even if he signs it, all is not lost. I'm sure there will be a court challenge. Here's the thing - during that awkward time of litigation, no matter how it comes out you don't want to get what could very well be a felony conviction. Going around bragging that you've got an EBR is not smart. Moving it out of state to keep it legal is. Do what you think best, but for heaven's sake keep it to yourself. And remember that old posts on fora can be deleted, particularly ones with things you just moved out of state. You'd hate to have your house raided because you'd posted 2 years ago about an off list lower that you were building up, when you've kept it legal by moving it out of state, right?

Hang in there guys. This day is s*** all around, but never quit.
Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
1) Sounds like SKS's will be the rifle of choice in Ca.

2) Maybe ruger will help us out with a factory mod to make the mini non-detach. They threatened to do that back in 1989 after the shooting of kids in Stockton, Ca.

3) The Dems are going to get a big backlash if 10/22's, marlin 795's and Rem 750's are classified as AW's, even some of them have those!

4) Some Sheriffs have already said they won't enforce this, including mine.

5) Nevada, here we come! (for ammo and to retire, or just leave the commie bastards!)

6) If/when this passes, I and alot of other good taxpayers are going to leave and let the titsuckers and thier politicians hold the (empty) bags. Commiefornia will become the state equivalent of detroit.
I'm not sure that the SKS will still be legal, since the whole point to the "bullet exemption" is that the SKS can indeed have the magazine removed in that manner. However, I'd put the Garand to that list of "rifles of choice". Johnson Light Rifle is too rare and most of the others have detachable box magazines. After that, I think I'd go with an Enfield Rifle No. 4 .303 Brit is a hellaciously effective cartridge and the slick cock on close Enfield action permits semi auto speeds if you practice. Trust me, I've done it and if an old clutz like me can hammer 'em out at Garand speeds so can the young guys reading this.

Since you broached it, might as well follow up. Yep, a fixed mag mini could be done but they'd have to be very careful - Slimeberg worded it so that if the mag could be detached from the gun even if it requires tools, its "evil". So just spot welding the mag to the FCG housing probably won't cut it. That was actually my first thought before I saw the text.

Could be possible to copy the Garand mag into a mini though. That would truly make the mini 14 a miniature Garand, and I'd suggest Ruger call it the Mini Garand as a tribute to the original. If they ever did such a thing with a slick little 10 shot en bloc clip, walnut GI style stock with wood forearm, I'd be sorely tempted to buy it although I don't need one. Passed need a long time ago but want only ends when they shovel dirt on the box. If it had the early mini 14 style sights with the tech sights package from the factory I'd have to have one, period.

40nascar, I really feel for you - this is the nightmare I dreaded in Illinois. We managed to avert it during my time there, but there were some close calls. For me Wisconsin would have been the refuge state of choice, and back then I already had plans well under way to cache anything Illinois outlawed across the border, preparatory to my own move. As it turned out I had a chance at a good job down here and headed south rather than north.

Best,
Grumpy
Edit: Gonna revise this one too for clarity. My first take on SKS = maybe bad is the new definition: "...This bill would also define "fixed magazine" to mean an ammunitionfeeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action." Action is the defining word, and technically the FCG is not a part of the action; the action is involved wholly in the loading of cartridges and sealing of the breach. In an SKS you do not disassemble the action to remove the magazine, you remove the fire control group. Ditto for the mini 14. If you spot weld a magazine onto the FCG housing, you do not have to disassemble the action to get to it. Yeah, its pedantic, but laws are written with specific language that can send someone to jail.

·
Banned
7,947 Posts
Holy smoke! I did not realize it had gotten this bad in Mexifornia. My greatest fear is that a lawsuit at the state level eventually finds it's way to the Supreme Court and they rule the 2A is a collective right rather than an individual right. All it takes is one more liberal justice. When that happens (notice I did not say if) the only saving grace will be if your state forms a voluntary militia.

Reactions: JRedHorse

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not so fast! The idiot Senate Dems from East LA,... AKA Las Vegas... Just passed a universal background check bill. Requiring background checks so strict. That if you loan a gun to someone, or give to a member of your family. Both parties have to go thru a background check costing 50.00. Hopefully it wont pass Assembly. I dont trust our RINO governor to Veto it.
Nevada has been Californicated like the rest of the west. I wish we would have put up a big tall fence on our western border with a big KEEP OUT! Violatotrs will be prostituted! sign.
I can only hope for the " The Big one" So our neighbor to the west moves to the bottom of the Pacific ocean. And i have some nice well fortified beach front property.

Reactions: JRedHorse

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Not so fast! The idiot Senate Dems from East LA,... AKA Las Vegas... Just passed a universal background check bill. Requiring background checks so strict. That if you loan a gun to someone, or give to a member of your family. Both parties have to go thru a background check costing 50.00. Hopefully it wont pass Assembly. I dont trust our RINO governor to Veto it.
Nevada has been Californicated like the rest of the west. I wish we would have put up a big tall fence on our western border with a big KEEP OUT! Violatotrs will be prostituted! sign.
I can only hope for the " The Big one" So our neighbor to the west moves to the bottom of the Pacific ocean. And i have some nice well fortified beach front property.
If we sink, you will become the "new" California. Good luck with that!

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
We have enough respectable gun owners to make a difference ... unfortunately most have no idea whats going on. The radio today reported on a group of gun bills that included "ammo permits"... our media conveniently forgets to tell the whole story.

·
Browncoat
17 Posts
All senate bills still need to pass the Assembly, and then the Gov's Desk in Aug/Sept. What bills we see today may very well change before it gets it's final forms on JB's desk; like a sh*tty terrible game of telephone. I don't think the assembly and or the Dems would want to cement a Tea-party/Republican win in the next two years; who may very well repeal the SB's that do slip by.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You guys over there are so hosed. Tell you what, I'll help you all out. Meet me at the border with all your now illegal arms and magazines and I will keep them safe for you.
Brown will sign any gun control bill that hits his desk, I can't believe you elected that POS again!

·
Browncoat
17 Posts
What matters is that we just need to tell our friends and neighbors to call our local reps and tell them that if they vote that way, then they won't be able to count on our vote when reelection rolls around. No Big. Laws are not set in stone.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.