Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Christmas comes and my daughter unveils my ATI strikeforce stock, I will be sad. My wooden, desert camo, fun-gun has been a riot to mess around with and develop great reloads for. It is 100% reliable over nearly 1000 rounds so far and just puts a smile on my face. So, sad...except for one small, important detail.

It doesn't fit me. Not for snap shooting, which is what i bought it for. From a bench it is amazing, considering all the internet folklore. I now officially ignore it in every way as unimportant drivel that doesn't affect me.

Reality is i prefer the M14 look, but I am going to have to fit this to my own size, shooting/training style and needs I bought this little carbine for.

With a scope, I have no cheek weld with the wood. I know I could buy a Karsten rest. But the stock fits well for iron sight use and I haven't given up on that yet. In the meantime, while I get my eyesight ironed out, I will graciously accept the gift of polymer and glass my lovely daughter is about to bestow upon me. Tough situation eh?

NOT REALLY! HAHAHAHA! I want a short cqb capable carbine and don't have the money for an AR. I already own every peripheral I need for my various configurations. There is simply no down side to this.

I have found myself fickle enough that new gear increases shooting time, even at my age. So, bring it on. I guess I'll just have to live with the mixed emotions (and believe me they are almost non-existent...tongue in cheek emotions is all) and tiny dilemma.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be keeping it for variety and iron sight usage on summer days at the range. Thanks anyway.

The paint is Krylon camo sand or coyote or something khaki maybe...and rustoleum camo dark brown earth i think. There is only freehand and use less than you think you need for painting technique. If you like this style of paint, it's very effective in the woods.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Very nice! I have seen guys use different size leaves for patterns on their camo jobs.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Today i stripped the barrel and action in prep for the ATI, so my daughter will see what she expects to see when i put it together. Weirdly enough..the look isn't that much different, but there is a shine i won't want for yote hunts.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
might as well start documenting the transition:

..action and barrel stripped to match new stock when it gets here.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And while i don't ever do this sort of thing...while I was there i went ahead and left this in since it is in khaki...It looks nice without the glare of the macro flash.

I might even leave it this way and just use tape for coyote camo....lol.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I had a camo 870 that I stood up against some brush and walked away from, it took me over an hour to find it again.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it is a DIY strut and functions as a great heat sink. Accuracy...can't say it made any difference I could tell. My gun is about a 2 inch at 100 shooter from the bench using federal bulk ammo. I honestly haven't fully explored the handloads I developed for it because it's too much fun to blast away. Soon I intend to sit still and put paper up and find out more. The handloads are 100% reliable and hit my reacive targets without drama, so I have been a little lax in the reloader's data collection duties.

The tube is open ended and set screws are allen head bolts that came extra with the utg clamp holding the tube to the barrel. I think you can tell the clamp is the short, cheap one..not the one most guys use. two slots. The clamp comes with several sizes and there is a lot of extra hardware...they want it to fit lots of barrel sizes. I ground the side rails off to save weight and left the bottom one on for future experimentaion with a lazer. Also for photo taking flexibility..lol.The pic you selected is the best color match with reality..no flash in the daytime. I definitely noticed the heat sink function when I put it on. Very effective in that regard. I shoot mostly at 50-75 yards and mostly reactive targets like clay birds and poly spinners. Offhand and slinged up, once I check zero on any optic I am fooling around with. The irons don't seem to move, even if they loosen and i tighten them back up, which they sometimes do.

The strut material is thick wall aluminum that is used for making wire and cable splices, Very light and rigid, but soft enough to self tap with the steel allen bolts. where to get it? Not sure...umm....maybe lowes or home depot or an electrical contyractor supply store. I have shot over 200 rounds at a session without stopping for anything but to load mags...2 30 rounders and a 5...and the strut has not loosened. I DID put blue locktite in the aluminum holes after the threads were cut. The allen bolts simply bump tight to the gas block. Hope that is enough info. thanks for looking!

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks Ron. I know what you mean about shooting off hand with just irons and a sling. My version of your clay pigeons and poly spinners are the discarded targets and scraps of paper left on the 50 and 100 yard State Park ranges. I find making those scraps of paper fly up in the air much more satisfying than punching holes in paper. Not sure what my 580 will do MOA-wise, but it sure makes the junk on my range dance. To me, that's what the Mini was built for. Heck, that's what the M14 was built for, except the scraps of paper were enemy combatants. I look forward to the day when I can walk out my back door and ring a set of chimes strewn across a valley. Fun stuff.

On the subject of struts, I saw many suggest the use of UTG barrel clamp rails. Didn't think to cut off the rails that don't work in the plan though. Great idea. I'm on it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then I like to prop the pieces of clay bird in 3/8 staples or the ones people use to attach targets if they stick out enough....little clay pieces go poof when you hit them.....even with a .22

1 - 13 of 13 Posts