Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tryng load development today and a consistent pattern of 3 shot groups of 2 shots almost touching and the 3rd about
2 1/2 inches low .The sad part is I did not learn which shot was low.I did not have a strong enough optic to tell as I was shooting the groups .I should have walked to the target after each shot .If the the first 2 are the the ones almost touching I am well pleased as I am mainly a coyote caller. Will try soon and surely take my spotting scope . Have any of you noticed a similar pattern and which number shot was the flyer ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hylander do you mean you have the mag full and only shoot 3 or 5 rounds and the first round of the group is the flyer ?Odd how that would cause a flyer --mag tension causing a different seating of the round as it shoulders in the chamber ?Perhaps I did not understand this occurrence .Thank you very kindly

·
Formerly "raf"
3,871 Posts
Variable pressure on the bottom of the bolt exerted by variable numbers of ctgs in magazine might account for this

A work-around would be to single-load the magazine. The Mini, like all floating firing pin rifles, does best when the action is "slowed-down" due to stripping the ctg from the mag. Suggest no single loading straight into the chamber.

·
Super Moderator
201 Posts
Tryng load development today and a consistent pattern of 3 shot groups of 2 shots almost touching and the 3rd about
2 1/2 inches low .The sad part is I did not learn which shot was low.I did not have a strong enough optic to tell as I was shooting the groups .I should have walked to the target after each shot .If the the first 2 are the the ones almost touching I am well pleased as I am mainly a coyote caller. Will try soon and surely take my spotting scope . Have any of you noticed a similar pattern and which number shot was the flyer ?
At 100 yards?

I hate walking and always bring the spotting scope. (I have a spotter when practicable too.)

Generally it's the first shot that's low when everything is at ambient temperature.

On a cool morning the first shot heats up the chamber, so the second and later cartridges get heated up if they sit in the chamber for any length of time, making the propellant inside the cartridge burn faster/hotter and the shot therefore impacts higher due to greater velocity and therefore less bullet drop due to gravity.

TRY THIS: With a "cold gun"--when the weather isn't hot out and without the sun beating down on the rifle--chamber one round that's been kept out of the sun, not on the truck dash heating up, basically with everything at a stable, cool temperature. Get a nice, stable rest (like on a bag) and slowly squeeze off the round. Leave the breech locked open so it cools and check the Point Of Impact through a spotting scope.

Without being a tarrying time-wasting slack-slow sluggish snail-like slug, load a magazine with two rounds and get back on target with your breech open and empty, tie yourself in and chamber a round. Don't dally and send it. Safety your stick and let the next round bake. Get on the spotter and the second round result should be moderately higher than the first round.

Get back on target with your Betty-Crocker round, take your time to stay stable and send it home (there's no rush with this one). You should find the third round higher yet. If not, something else is going on.

--
Not all barrels behave the same, and not all shooters treat their barrels the same (How to Shoot Straight with a Cold Barrel -John Haviland). Generally, someone shooting for accuracy wants to shoot out of a consistently fouled barrel, so "getting the copper out" is a bad thing; using powder solvent to remove the acidic residue after shooting is a good thing. (the results of over-cleaning, and proper cleaning). Where your barrel is in its lifespan and how you cared for it is another issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wi Hedgehog ,I thank you ! Your instructions are very clear. we really have not been bothered by heat in fact it has snowed off and on all day plus a howling wind . It has been hard to catch a good weather day with the almost constant wind . As soon as possible I will report . Thanks and Blessings to all

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hylander do you mean you have the mag full and only shoot 3 or 5 rounds and the first round of the group is the flyer ?Odd how that would cause a flyer --mag tension causing a different seating of the round as it shoulders in the chamber ?Perhaps I did not understand this occurrence .Thank you very kindly
I start with a full 20 round mag and fire a 3-5 round group, no flyers.
If I only load 3-5 rounds total in a 20 round mag, the round fired is the flyer.
I believe the more consistent group is due to more consistent pressure on the rounds in the mag.
Just a theory.
Going to test again next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts