Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't really say for certain how old this true story is or whether or not you may have heard or seen about it but I thought I would share with you the story and pics I received in an email from a friend of mine .....

How'd ya like to run into this BAD BOY in the middle of the boon-toolies ..... :eek:

The attached pictures are of a guy who works for the forest service in
Alaska. He was out deer hunting. A large...large Grizzly charged him from
about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded a 7mm Mag Semi-auto into the bear and
it dropped a few feet from him. The thing was still alive so he reloaded
and capped it in the head. It was over one thousand six hundred pounds,
12'6" high at the shoulder. It's a world record. The bear had killed a
couple of other people. Of course, the game department did not let him keep
it.

Think about it. This thing on it's hind legs could walk up to the average
single story house and could look the roof at eye level. Twelve foot six
inches high at the shoulder? That's the same height as a standard 18
wheeler trailer.

Six Out!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Man this story sure keeps changing everytime it gets posted somewhere else. This bear was 10'6" weighed roughly 1000 pounds, was shot by a USAF Airmen stationed at Eilson Air Base just south of Fairbanks, was shot with a 338 win mag and the guy was out there deer hunting on Hinchinbrook Island in Prince William Sound. The bear had not killed any other people. It is not a world record. The power of the internet just amazes me. Hope this straightens thing out a little bit. And measuring from the shoulder is not how you measure bear. You measure them from tip of nose to tip of tail.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Allen .....

After posting this another individual on another board I frequent straightened me out with the same facts you have presented here and I agree that over time facts can tend to be stretched a bit. I was not sure how old this was and merely did a copy and paste from the email that was sent to me.

I did the "worlds record grizzly bear" search on Snopes.com and it gave the true facts as well as the ones that I posted here that someone else had fabricated somewhat.

Did not mean to mislead anyone here but was mainly wanting to share the story of a big'n ....

Even at 10'-6" .... Its a lot bigger than I for sure ....

I stand corrected and enlightened ....

Thanks .... Six

·
Registered
279 Posts
I shot a bigger bear than that with a paperclip!:D Seriously that is still one impressive animal. Notice they never show the hunter from the backside. It's probably best.:usa:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I didn't think grizzles had tails? I would measure from nose to end of hind feet. Now if you measure a mountain lion nose to tail, but measure a bob cat the same way you'd be getten the short end of the measure stick? Does anyone have a link that shows the proper way to measure these animals?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks Doc. I also found you can't hunt big game in alaska without hiring a guide. This is for non-residents. The residents can hunt without a guide. That could be an expensive hunt.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I thought you could hunt certain types of big game without a guide in Alaska such as deer black bear but needed one for hunting animals where you could get in deep sht. Something like sheep which is really demanding or griz which is dangerous.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Va, I went to the Alaska fish, and game. This is the guide requirements:

A nonresident who hunts brown/grizzly bear, Dall sheep, or mountain goat must be personally accompanied by a licensed guide OR by an Alaska resident over 19 years of age who is within the “second degree of kindred.”

A nonresident alien must be personally accompanied by a licensed guide to hunt ANY big game animal, including black bear, brown/grizzly bear, bison, caribou, Dall sheep, deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, muskox, wolf*,

You were correct. I don't think I would want to hunt a grizz, without a pro to save my bacon.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thats why I will stay here and just hunt deer . Black powder season comes in on the fourth and I have all week off. No guide no grizzs just me and the deer for the freezer.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts