Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Been a bit busy at work and with some other toys. My son gave me an M&P 40 for no reason at all so I bought some progressive loading gear and have been going to town. With deer season here...i loaded some .223 deer loads for a friend (not on my progressive,) loaned him one of my rifles, shot a buck with my .308 (also handloaded...i shot .308, he was using the .223 and didn't get one) and bought some wheelweights, melted them into muffin ingots and am gearing up for cast bullets in the .40...with rifle possibilities later...WHEW.

ANNYWAAY....my daughter came over the other night and said...I kid you not..."hey dad, what's that thing you wanted for your gun?" Lol...isn't that a great question? Of course i answered with a question.."which gun?" She answered "something mini..." Lol. No, she's not a shooter. But evidently she picked some things up in conversation over the months.

I answered.."my mini 14?" "YEAH!!!!! THAT'S IT!!!!" she replied. LOL....it gets better. "what's a ...a...Stock?" LOL...sorry, still making me chuckle a little. I said...."a stock for my mini 14? that would be a pretty specific thing for me to describe...ummmm...why?"

"well, if I had some credits built up on overstock dot com and wanted to get you one...what would they call it?" Beautiful and loving, but clueless...lol...sorry..still chuckling.

"Honey, I don't think overstock dot come would have it." "well let me at least look...can you write it down?"

Well...long story short, Overstock dot com DOES sell the ATI strikeforce stock. So I am getting pretty stoked about it. It, of course, will "need" paint but i will finally have the adjustable cheek weld i seek and the short LOP I want for some other stuff. I may even "Have to" get an ATI for my 10/22, since my wife's rifle has drawn me in and away from my own.

Also on the list of "needs" a Karsten cheek riser for my two savage edge rifles or at least one to share. I love them...but it is time. Both the .223 and the .308 have been properly initiated by me with a deer, so it's time to make them actually fit perfectly.

Loving my guns. And my daughter. And my son. Okay, and my wife. Life is good.

Gos Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Merry Christmas to you and yours, since you probably get that holiday off. Happy Hanukkah as well, if that fits for you. In my ongoing lust for an M1a, my love of the M14 since my childhood and the realization that those dreams are probably slipping away, I have decided my semi-m14 clone will need to be modified into a practical daily snap-shooter. My old eyes require a scope for anything past 30 yards, the round is so much more capable than that and i am coming to grips with the reality of what i really need this little carbine for. The incorrect cheek weld with an optic and the wood stock makes me shoot this little guy less than i want to and i have been building up my favorite handloads for it so I can really enjoy my next outing. The other stuff listed above has taken precedence anyway. I decided the handgun had to be a priority until i reached a level of proficiency with it worthy of the gift. I have loaded and shot hundreds of rounds for it and shot hundreds more commercial rounds before that. Now it can go beside my other weekly shooters and i need to get back on the mini. I have studied the ATI cheek rest on my wife's 10/22 and read the manual on the one for the mini...they appear to be the same system, and easily modified if more height is required. Her 10/22 is the most perfect cheek weld and lop combination for me of any long gun i have ever shot, so i am expecting the same. Like I said, snap-shooting reactive targets is the game here and I really want it perfect. From a bench i can shoot anything, but I am even going to get the karsten for my savage bolt guns for the same reason. It is time. The world is unravelling and i want my longuns fitting perfectly like my new handgun does.

God bless!

Ron

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thrilled. Of course I will paint it. I had a very interesting experience deer hunting this year. I talked myself out of doing it. Then, one day before the season i decided to hunt....duh. My best friend loaned me his .30-06 enfield and off I went. During the day, i took my .40 and left my blind to answer nature's call. I went a ways off and did. when i turned around, there was this nice shiny rifle glaring at me from the shooting rest! My .308 is literally invisible from this location when laying in the same position. I realized i had been visually obnoxious and lit up like a Christmas tree since first light. All my guns are painted except my Ithaca model 37. This is the reason. I just don't want them to show as a shiny object. Lol..i guess i wasn't thinking. I went home, sighted in my .308..the reason i borrowed his was i had disassembled mine and not shot it in a few months. lesson learned. It's a lesson i know well, but got in a hurry..last minute decision to hunt.....won't do that again.

God Bless!

Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts