Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. So far as I know, the only difference between Mini-14 and M-16 mags is that the latter have larger locking lugs. Shouldn't it be possible to adapt a Mini-14 receiver to accept cheap, reliable surplus M-16 mags?

2. Is there any technical reason why it would be impossible, or a bad idea, to use an M-16/AR-15 barrel on a Mini-14? I realize it would require a lot of work--but could it be done, and would the barrel be substantially better than the Ruger factory barrel (I ask this because I want a better barrel, but I don't like heavy barrels)?

·
Registered
71 Posts
As far as the the magazines go, antother thing that makes them different are the feed lips, and the followers.
As for the barrel, there are some exelent shops offering barrel replacements, they are not cheap. For the cost of a new barrel instalation I would imagine you could get your AR-15.
The Mini was not made to be a tack driver, there are many rifles better suited to the task. The Mini was not designed for shoot-a-bility, but for reliability, Drag it through the mud drop it in the water fill it up with dirt pull the trigger and it goes bang.
I think of mine as my disposable rifle and try not to dwell on its shorcomings.

------------------
Perfect Union member #33

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Jung 1999...but while you may think of your Mini-14 as "disposable," I think of mine as potentially the finest .223 semiauto in the world. Extreme reliability is a plus, definitely; but if the accuracy can be improved--and it can--I would rather have a Mini-14 than an AR-15 any day of the year, and would much rather pay to upgrade my "Lucille" than buy an AR.

As far as the magazines go...if Ramlines will work in both guns, then the M-16 mags must be closer to the Mini-14 mags than we think. And with the mag problem being what it is for Mini's, I thought this might be a potential permanent fix for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Installing a AR mag in a mini is probably possible but probably not worth the effort. You could buy several factory mags for the cost of having the reciever modifications done I expect.

Replacement barrels are available from Shilene and OKM (uses douglas barrel). I expect if you contact them they could mfg a medium or light weight barrel for you. There are also other things besides the barrel which can affect accuracy.

Thx-Ace

·
Registered
71 Posts
Johnny, Dont get me wrong I LOVE my Mini, In fact I chose the Mini over the AR because of its reliability and simplicity not to mention the price tag! I used the term "disposable" purely in jest because the Mini is the least expensive rifle in my safe but undoubtedly one of the finest, I would not trade it for anything.
I have been thinking about your AR/Mini magazine idea, one more difference I can see. Mini mags have a hole in the front face made to fit the front pin in the mag well, also they have a detent in the back for the mag release. you could add both of these details to an AR mag

·
Registered
6 Posts
The AGI gunsmithing video mentions that you can modify M-16 magazines to use them in a Mini-14, but doesn't give details as to how you go about it.

I think I would definitely modify the mags before I would try modifying - and possibly butchering - my gun.

As for the AR-15 vs Mini-14 controversy, supposedly the AR-15's controls are much better ergonomically than the Ruger's. This could be important when targets are shooting back at you.

Personally, I'm happy with the Ruger and have no plans to buy a more expensive Colt or Colt clone.

Regards
John

------------------
Ple
Please visit the Second Amendment Yellow Pages
RKBA!

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Well, I am going for the best of both worlds, one Preban Colt Sporter, and a Mini is in the works for RSN (real soon now).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts