Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought five of RRA's poly mags for my LAR-8. The other night, I tried loading some 7.62x51 175 gr Federal Gold Match in them, and found that the ammo is too long for the magazine! When I put it on the follower and push it down, the tip of the bullet pushes up against the inside of the magazine wall. After the second or third round, it begins to bind, and won't move up and down freely. I have some .308 168 gr that works just fine.
Anyone else have this problem with this ammo and mag combo?
I hope to resolve this somehow, seeing as I have roughly 600 rounds of the stuff.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)You had better pull a couple of the loaded rounds and see how much powder that you have in the case to see if you can seat the bullet a little bit deeper or that you will need to reduce the amount of power to make up for the loss of case volume from seating the bullet deeper.

·
Registered
88 Posts
;)You had better pull a couple of the loaded rounds and see how much powder that you have in the case to see if you can seat the bullet a little bit deeper or that you will need to reduce the amount of power to make up for the loss of case volume from seating the bullet deeper.
Isn't Todd talking about factory loaded ammo? I wouldn't recommend trying to modify factory ammo. Seating the bullet deeper could change the pressure to above max. I'm pretty sure that the manufacturer would take a dim view of monkeying with his ammo in the event of a mishap.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)OK-then the next best scenario is to pull all of the bullets,dump out all of the powder and not reuse it but replace it with a known powder and reload the original bullets to out of the book specs-but seated to the length that will fit the magazine.BTW-Reloaders have been doing what I said in my first post for years with old lots of military ammo with great success.YMMV!<_<

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.