Perfect Union banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a boat load of 7.62 x 39 ammo for cheap.

I have a colt AR15 in .223.

Was thinking of converting the AR 15 to 7.62 x 39mm by just purchasing a upper chambered for the round.

Since the lower can be removed in a matter of minutes it seemed like a good solution to using the 7.62 ammo.

I know I will need new clips for the 7.62, but is there anything else I will need for the conversion?

Larry

·
Registered
852 Posts
By just swapping uppers you should just need magazines and maybe a new heavier buffer. On my 7.62x39 rifle, I have an H3 buffer and it works great. The recoil is less violent and the buffer slamming into the end of the receiver extension is much softer than it was with a standard carbine buffer, plus it cycles better with the heavier buffer, no FTE, FTF etc.

Honestly, if your ammo is the corrosive surplus, it will be just about as expensive to pick up a decent AK with a few mags. Cleaning the AR with corrosive ammo is a pain in the a**. I have only shot a few mags out of mine and it took forever cleaning it and making sure it wasn't corroding etc. The AK is much easier to clean more thoroughly and is meant for the corrosive stuff. Plus, it's another reason to get another rifle!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
For the price of an upper and the additional mags, I would bet it cheaper to buy an AK. But cooler to have a 7.62x39 upper. The cleaning would suck. I choose the 300 blackout to get AK performance from my AR. I also own a couple AK style rifles. An excuse for a new gun is always a good option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts