Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weighed some Tula poly and Silver Bear empty cases. Each had a .7 grains variance in weight.

Gun shot low with the flash hider. No idea why unless I did something somehow when I was doing all that threading work. Still 2" average group + or - 1/2" at 100 from a range bag rest.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I really can't think of anything that you could have done that would cause it to shoot low and still group. Did you change bullet weight? That would cause a significant drop at a 100 yds.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah. Different ammo, different muzzle velocities and different bullet weight but only 2 grains. This is the down side of buying whatever you can find available to shoot.

I just checked and some of the Tula I have only flies at 2104 fps. The Gold and Silver bear are 2430. Some other stuff is 2396. I last sighted in my rifle with the hot rounds.

I did some free standing shooting. I have now made a mental note not to every rely on this if I have to take something down at distance. Lousy on my part sums it up fairly well. Most shots were still center mass. I won't be flicking any bees though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Barrel threading questions...

I just bought a used hand-held pipethreader (Brand name: Borden) with adjustable diameter and threading dies for standard plumbing pipes, thinking it could be used to thread rifle barrels. A friend told me that this wouldn't work as plumbers use a different thread pitch, and that gunsmiths do all threading on a lathe. It looks like it's possible to change the thread cutters--do you know if there are any cutters that would make this tool useful for threading rifle barrels?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my whole kit from CNC Warrior. I've seen the threading dies at a few places like either Midway or Brownells. I don't know if the tool is the same tool for threading pipe as for threading barrels though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.