Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stumbled on to 400 rounds of Winchester 64gr power point bullets in .224 and am looking to work up a load for them for my 1/7 twist 16" AR. Hogdon's web site gives loads for several powders that I have H335, Benchmark, but I was considering the Benchmark since I don't really use it for anything else. I bought it for loading 55 grain .223 but didn't have the greatest accuracy with that combo so was wondering if it may work better with the heavier projectiles. I also have plenty of Accurate A2200 which I am considering giving a shot (usually what I load in my 6.8SPC).
Any thoughts, experience or insight on this?

·
Registered
833 Posts
you would be surprised what a few grains difference in powder charge could make...

I dont have any practical experience with 64 gn loads in .223... and likewise I cant help much with accurate powders as I do not use them. I started with hodgdon/IMR/winchester powders and to keep things ( kinda) simple, never wanted to expand on the numbers of variables...

Personally, I really only load varget, and XBR 8208, and CFE223 in my 223 loads. 25 gn 8208 with 55 gn dogtown bullets is my go to loading in MOST ar and bolt action platforms they have been fired in. I know that is totally off topic...

My point is... just keep trying with varying the weights of powders you have already... you SHOULD be able to tailor a load that will give you good results.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I like Accurate 223 or Hodgdon 335 also Win 748 I have been loading 223 and 335 for years and like both of them. The 748 has been good in my bolt rifle for years. I like the 62 64 bullet.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem is I can't find H335 around here right now. I have Hogdon Benchmark, A little H335, Plenty of Accurate A2200. What kind of charges were you using of the H335 behind those 64gr rounds? I loaded up some from 24.5gr-25.5gr but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Hornady and a Sierra loading manual and use them both but I am trying to load Winchester Bullets. Neither of them even make a 64gr bullet and Winchester doesn't make loading manuals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.