Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there load the 6.8 in a mini?
Seems like i'm one of the few people that has a mini in this caliber, well actually i have two
We use them deer hunting in the swamps, handy size easy to carry and still capable of longer shots when needed.
Was hoping that someone had experience with hornady ssts as this is what we have been shooting in factory loads . We've shot four deer with this combo and have never had to track a deer. Three of four never took a step one went 50 yds
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I load 6.8 for an AR. Took two deer with it last season but was using 110gr sierra pro hunters. I have been trying to work up a load for 120gr SSTs but just haven't gotten it done, in fact I have twenty rounds loaded with four different powder charges but haven't tested them yet. Using A2200 powder if that helps any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have aa2015 aa1680 4198 and reloder 10x on hand so i'm close on burn rates anyways.
If you are gonna use those ssts on deer be careful where you hit em under 100 yds they are a littke violent in the expansion department

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anybody out there load the 6.8 in a mini?
Seems like i'm one of the few people that has a mini in this caliber, well actually i have two
We use them deer hunting in the swamps, handy size easy to carry and still capable of longer shots when needed.
Was hoping that someone had experience with hornady ssts as this is what we have been shooting in factory loads . We've shot four deer with this combo and have never had to track a deer. Three of four never took a step one went 50 yds
Thanks in advance
Yes, I've reloaded for a 6.8 Mini for about 5 years. I like AA2200 powder for all 6.8 loads from 85 gr. to 140 gr. it's the best performer I've found. For the 120 gr. Hornady SST, 26.5 gr. to 27 gr. of AA2200 will be close to factory performance. Obviously, start low around 25.5 gr. and work up to 27.2 gr max.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Yeah I load the 6.8 for the mini. I will have to check my reloading log at home to see how I loaded them. I think I used H335 and AA2230, but I will check. Most of my brass is Remington since I scored 700 rounds or so with a factory direct buy.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
My mini likes AA2230 at 30 Grains with 110 grain bullets (check the manual before repeating) and 90 grain bullets and 32.4 grains of H335 (same, check the manual). My dad loaded up a few with Lil Gun that also worked well. I couldn't find his load. I am sure it's in his log book.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I reload for the mini 6.8 as well 110 gr bullets do with 26 gr h4198. I like Sierra the best Game Kings. My son killed a small buck this last season with 110 gr Vmax, I took a a 7 pt buck with 110 gr Barnes TTSX. All are great bullets and a great cartridge with a light fun rifle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I too reload for 6.8, but for an AR platform. I've been using Sierra 90 gr. HP's with 33.2 gr Ramshot X-terminator. The Ar can go to a little higher pressure due to different throat dimensions. Most of the Rugers have the old original 6.8 chamber dimensions and most AR's have gone to the newer spc II dimensions.

I had a mini in 6.8 a while back and had a hard time working up a load for it, all the current suggestions for powder and bullet weights were too hot for it, finally had Wilson Arms ream the chamber to the spc II dimensions which helped a bit. Also went to SSA ammunition and started re-using the SSA brass (small primers). That helped a lot. The SSA brass doesn't show signs of excess pressure the way Remington brass does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.