Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many posts back to 2012 so far, and it's clear that at some time, scopes were pretty reliably hit with ejected brass when the scope is mounted over the receiver. I understand the notion of rotating the scope so the caps are away from the brass path, but I am looking at an illuminated scope (Primary Arms 1-6x) where there are caps on 3 sides of the scope, so rotating it isn't possible. I have asked Ruger to swap me for 30mm rings at the same Medium height(and they still seem to do this readily). I understand that changing out the gas bushing can reduce the violence of the ejection and maybe improve things regarding ejection force/path.

So what I'm wondering, is whether more recent models of the Mini 14 are expected to have the problem with brass hitting the scope with a 30mm scope mounted over the receiver with the stock gas block? Or is this a rarity anymore? Or was it always a rare event?

·
Registered
38 Posts
With my 582, the carved away side of the scope mount still gets hit damaging the brass unless you tune down the gas, so yeah a scope is still going to get hit if the mount itself does. I added smaller gas bushing and that fixes it. So does custom loads with lighter power at the cost of terminal ballistics, but either solution can work fine for target shooting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ruger 5855
SIG SAUER Whiskey3 4-12x40mm SFP 0.25 MOA (1" Tube)
Windage cap is on right, and not hit when shell ejects. However, I do have an adjustable gas block, and it's tuned down to just above where the shell won't eject. Stock (85?) bushing.

I worried about it when I first got the MIni-14 about 1,000 rounds ago. Had considered the side mount bracket, but there's a video demonstrating how the shell can ricochet off of the bottom of it and back into the receiver and cause a jam. That all said, the shell is getting a very small ding in it from the receiver itself. There's an edge (part name?) the shell hits when ejected that I could file, but it hasn't mattered.

I shoot 68gr to 77gr.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Ruger 5855
Windage cap is on right, and not hit when shell ejects. However, I do have an adjustable gas block, and it's tuned down to just above where the shell won't eject. Stock (85?) bushing.

I worried about it when I first got the MIni-14 about 1,000 rounds ago. Had considered the side mount bracket, but there's a video demonstrating how the shell can ricochet off of the bottom of it and back into the receiver and cause a jam. That all said, the shell is getting a very small ding in it from the receiver itself. There's an edge (part name?) the shell hits when ejected that I could file, but it hasn't mattered.

I shoot 68gr to 77gr.
Are you shooting reloads ?? If not, what is your preferred ammo ?
kwg

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 583 and 584 series both with the factory Ruger rail installed with a scope, I have no issues with brass hitting my scope. One rifle has a reduced gas bushing and the other is stock, no problems with brass hitting either. I believe Ruger took care of that issue with the 580 series.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So what I'm wondering, is whether more recent models of the Mini 14 are expected to have the problem with brass hitting the scope with a 30mm scope mounted over the receiver with the stock gas block? Or is this a rarity anymore? Or was it always a rare event?
To answer your question directly, the mini 14 has changed over time in its many variations. 1st generation ( 180-) series, and 181 - through pre 580 series, ie:"standard" mini -14's had a bolt design that ejected spent brass straight up ( verticle) to the angle of the ejection port (action open during firing cycle). Ruger addressed this issue, and released the "Ranch rifle" mini 14 starting in the mid 1980's for those buyers that preferred to have scope optics mounted on their mini 14. The ranch rifle featured a modified ejecter on the bolt, which resulted in the brass ejecting near 90 degrees to the right side of the action as the shooter fires. For years, Ruger sold the Standard and Ranch Rifles simultaneously until about 2003 when the line was shutdown for upgrading of the machinery and production processes for the mini 14 line.

When Ruger resumed production of the Mini 14 a few years later, the 580 series was born. With the introduction of the 580, all mini's were produced in a "Ranch Rifle" only configuration. The "Standard" model mini 14 is now officially obsolete.

Your 580+ series should be able to function well, without many brass hits to your scope, as long as it was made to spec at the factory.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To answer your question directly, the mini 14 has changed over time in its many variations. ... Your 580+ series should be able to function well, without many brass hits to your scope, as long as it was made to spec at the factory.
Thank you. I have read back in the archives to 2005 or, but missed some of that detail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ruger 5855

I shoot 68gr to 77gr.
Hi there, I installed the. 050 gas port bushing and my 5802 won't cycle 69 gr Federal premium... not getting enough gas I suppose

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm running a vortex strike eagle ll lpvo on low seekins rings... its sits so low that I had to remove the rear sight.. I have the reduced power .050 gas port bushing, and, I also taped my windage cape for protection... after 300 rounds, everything seems fine

(Previously, I had the Vortex Crossfire ll 3x9x40 on stock ruger rings, and the cap got beat up bad from the brass, but, it didn't effect the actual functionality of the windage nob...)

Attachments

·
Formerly "raf"
4,024 Posts
It's my opinion that folks mounting high-magnification and conventionally-mounted scopes on their Minis are making a mistake. The Mini was never intended to be much more than a short-to-"middlin" range carbine, no mattter what sights/optics installed. YMMV. Sure, one can get a 'little" better range with some decent optics, but at what cost in utility and cost of optics?. Need a damn good cheek-riser for most long-range scopes, so add that cost to the equation.

For one instance, such conventionally-mounted scopes, on the Mini, may have issues with ejecting the occasional ammo/ctg issues, what with the optic/mount obscuring the action.. Beyond that, such "conventionally" mounted scopes mounts also interfere with removing the bolt from the receiver during deep cleaning.

I have tried all the possible conventional scope mounting platforms for the Mini in the past. Please believe me, as I spent lots of money trying to make a conventional scope work on my Mini.

I wised-up, and got my head--and optics-- together.

I installed an Ultimak forward-mounted optics rail on my Mini, and I finally had the options for reliable Long Eye Relief optics as well as RDS.

Life is far better nowadays.

I also installed such Ultimak Scout Rails on my M1 Garands and my M1A. You might disagree with my personal choices, but my modified rifles shoot VERY well with Iron Sights and added optics.

I understand that your opininions may vary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's my opinion that folks mounting high-magnification and conventionally-mounted scopes on their Minis are making a mistake. The Mini was never intended to be much more than a short-to-"middlin" range carbine, no mattter what sights/optics installed. YMMV. Sure, one can get a 'little" better range with some decent optics, but at what cost in utility and cost of optics?. Need a damn good cheek-riser for most long-range scopes, so add that cost to the equation.

For one instance, such conventionally-mounted scopes, on the Mini, may have issues with ejecting the occasional ammo/ctg issues, what with the optic/mount obscuring the action.. Beyond that, such "conventionally" mounted scopes mounts also interfere with removing the bolt from the receiver during deep cleaning.

I have tried all the possible conventional scope mounting platforms for the Mini in the past. Please believe me, as I spent lots of money trying to make a conventional scope work on my Mini.

I wised-up, and got my head--and optics-- together.

I installed an Ultimak forward-mounted optics rail on my Mini, and I finally had the options for reliable Long Eye Relief optics as well as RDS.

Life is far better nowadays.

I also installed such Ultimak Scout Rails on my M1 Garands and my M1A. You might disagree with my personal choices, but my modified rifles shoot VERY well with Iron Sights and added optics.

I understand that your opininions may vary.
With my "low" mount Seekins rings, lots of patience is required to get the bolt out, but it does come out, and eventually, back in.
I'm hoping my Vortex lpvo can handle my Mini-14's ruggedness... even if the scope isn't necessarily damaged from all the clanking, do you think the zero eventually gets thrown off because of all the forward slamming that occurs?

·
Formerly "raf"
4,024 Posts
With my "low" mount Seekins rings, lots of patience is required to get the bolt out, but it does come out, and eventually, back in.
I'm hoping my Vortex lpvo can handle my Mini-14's ruggedness... even if the scope isn't necessarily damaged from all the clanking, do you think the zero eventually gets thrown off because of all the forward slamming that occurs?
After trying many iterations of "conventional" scope mounts for my 186 series Mini, I gave up and went to Scout-type mounts.

Never been happier since doing so. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts