Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a new 583 Mini 14 Ranch rifle, shot it just enough to test functions as I can't really use the iron sights due to my vision so no sense in wasting ammunition until it becomes scoped-which it currently is-Vortex Crossfire ll 2-7x32 mounted on the factory supplied rail.
I've read reports about spent brass when ejected can and has dinged up some scopes due to factory over gassing so now that it is scoped I want to address the gas bushing before shooting it again so here are some questions: I'm looking at the ASI bushing set and after reading the instructions pertaining to sizing the gas bushing where I'm being told to place the bushing in a hand held drill, start it up and then while free holding a 13/64" drill bit, shave the bushing down to the required size. Who here has done that and were you satisfied with the results? Has anyone used a drill press instead of a hand held drill?
Are there any other gas bushing manufactures out there that I can contact?

·
Registered
5,791 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nickel, Hadaway (on this forum) offers true/correct bushing sets correctly measured for the model of Mini. Does good work and is responsive through e-mail. The ASI stuff is generally to be considered "one size fits none" - hence their video. Recommend Hadaway's "set" of three different-sized bushings, since "each Mini is different"...

Check this thread:
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/106924-mini-14-30-gas-bushings-ready-ship.html
^^^^ What he said :D

I ordered a set from Hadaway. Told him which model I had and the set came with a .40, .50 and .60 as all Mini's are different, especially with the different ammo configurations. I was launching brass 30 feet so I put in a .50, pretty simple job which is saying something if I could do it. Brass is now in the 10-12 foot range with PMC 55 gn.

Hadaway will treat you right. Fast, courteous and a good product.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Even with .040 gas bushing it was beating the tar out of my scope cap on my Burris Mtac tactical scope. Finally gave up and went to Redfield 2x7.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Phish, perhaps a 90-degree counter-clockwise rotation of the scope (windage=elevation; elevation=windage). Works for some.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
nickleplate, not sure what vision problems you have, but many of us, as we get older can't focus sharply on the front sight. My vision is fine as long as something is more than a few feet away.
I was having trouble seeing the front sight clearly ( you don't really focus on the rear peep anyway, it should be blurry as you are focused on the front sight and target).
CoSteve had ordered the TechSight aperture kit which includes a smaller .040" aperture.
You can also just buy the .040" if you don't want the set of three.
The smaller aperture increases your depth of field, now I can see the front sight clearly (and the target as well) and enjoy shooting irons again.
Another option is to mount the scope forward of the action with an Ultimak railed hand guard. Brass will never hit your optic, nothing in the way of the action to hinder removing the bolt for cleaning or clear a jam ( I know Mini's don't jam !) and your peripheral vision is improved by not having a scope up close to your head.
Also the optic mounts nice and low, where scopes mounted over the action are necessarily mounted very high.
Buying a long eye relief scope and the Ultimak ( $140) will stretch your budget though.
I prefer a good red dot over a scope. The one I use ( Burris FastFire III) weighs less than an ounce, while a scope and rings can add a pound or more to your Mini.
A scoped Mini is heavier and bulkier and just doesn't have the nice balance of a bare Mini.
Not all red dots are great for us with deteriorating vision. I can't use EOTech's anymore, as the dot in those appears way too fuzzy.

There is a mount where you can put a FF III directly to the Ranch rifle's front scope ring scallop. Out of the way of the action, just not quite as low as an Ultimak. Please excuse the clay pigeon thrower cluttering up the background.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Just order the correct set from Hadaway, he will has good stuf with drop in ease, no drilling.

·
Registered
265 Posts
ASI offers two different size gas bushing sets: one for pre-58x series rifles, and one for the 58x series rifles. It is a drop-in part on 'MY' 583 series Mini 14.

P.S.: I just read the ASI website on gas bushing trimming.

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/Product_Instructions.php

The need to trim a bushing is due to inconsistencies in RUGER's machining, not ASI's. Even if you got the bushings from Hadaway, you may need to trim to fit YOUR particular rifle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I recently picked up a new 583 Mini 14 Ranch rifle, shot it just enough to test functions as I can't really use the iron sights due to my vision so no sense in wasting ammunition until it becomes scoped-which it currently is-Vortex Crossfire ll 2-7x32 mounted on the factory supplied rail.

I've read reports about spent brass when ejected can and has dinged up some scopes due to factory over gassing so now that it is scoped I want to address the gas bushing before shooting it again so here are some questions: I'm looking at the ASI bushing set and after reading the instructions pertaining to sizing the gas bushing where I'm being told to place the bushing in a hand held drill, start it up and then while free holding a 13/64" drill bit, shave the bushing down to the required size. Who here has done that and were you satisfied with the results? Has anyone used a drill press instead of a hand held drill?

Are there any other gas bushing manufactures out there that I can contact?
I wouldn't do that on a bet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
631 Posts
Phish, perhaps a 90-degree counter-clockwise rotation of the scope (windage=elevation; elevation=windage). Works for some.
That is not possible with this scope as the reticle would surely not be looking right at all. :)

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
You could add a piece of black electrical tape to the bottom of the scope to keep the marks off.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Phish, too bad. That is getting to be more and more common these days, with BDC reticles, etc. Those with a straight mil-dot reticle generally work, or just simple cross-hairs.

Sandog's recommendations are the ideal solution - if you've got the coin... Start saving up!

One thing I did with a scope for my older Mini was cut a piece of foam pipe insulation and put it over the windage knob. Looked funky when firing, but worked and was easy to remove for adjustments, etc. Best done when you're alone so no one takes a picture!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let's get 'er back on track-who has done the drill out to fit exercise with the ASI gas bushings and were you satisfied or not with the results?

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Nickel, good re-direct. But you know - this is the 'web, and surfing is what we do!:)

We'll get back on topic now.

I haven't done any bushings and don't intend to. No problems to warrant it. My 181 Mini-despite it being inclined to eject more vertically than horizontally, plays nice with my red dot or scope sitting over the receiver, and dumps expendeds about 3-4' away. My new 583 Tactical sends them about 10-12' - good enough for me.

As for ASI versus Hadaway:

Hadaway got his dimensions and endorsement from a member on here named Gundoc - the most superb and revered of gunsmiths regarding Minis and a few other firearms.

For a long time, ASI had one size fits none - hence their video. I don't think it was as much a function of the Ruger milling as it was differences between the pencil and tapered barrels, and so the video. It seems they have now acknowledged the differences and have two sets: something a year after Hadaway offered them. And Hadaway offers them in a few varieties (Ranch versus Tactical versus Mini-30 versus Mini-30 Tactical). He'll work with you to give you what you want and need.

And he's one of our brothers here and will do you right.

Your choice. I'd rather stick with a member of the clan who has expended his time to make the right product for us. ASI may do some good (but pricey) stuff, but for bushings I'd stick with Hadaway: he knows his stuff and does good work and CS. He's been with us a long while.

Just my HO.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RJF,
I sent an e-mail to Mr. Hadaway late last week but have yet to hear back-holidays and all so I understand. I did pull up his website but saw no mention of Mini 14 gas bushing sets for sale so from that standpoint I'm a little confused.
I mentioned in my first post that I've only shot my 583 once but I didn't say where. It was quite by coincidence that it was on a relative's island ranch out in the San Joaquin delta on a levee bordering a 40' wide slough which made it very easy to pinpoint the rocket launched ejection splash downs. My AR/AK shooting buddies were shaming me so bad that I had to put down the 583 and pick up my .357 mag/.38 special 1894 JM pre-safety Marlin lever gun to quiet them down and regain some respect.:lol:

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
nickel, I'm sure he'll get back with you, but it wouldn't hurt to re-send (just in case).

He hasn't put these bushings on his website, not sure why - perhaps until he saw how well that part of the business does. It may also be that he does this as a friend of this forum. He got the dimensions from GunDoc, who retired a while back. Now that Gundoc is potentially considering getting back into business at a reduced rate, I suspect Hadaway might just let him resume the manufacture. I just don't know.

I suspect Hadaway doesn't stock the bushings, but makes them as an order comes in.

He'll treat you right.

·
Registered
257 Posts
COSteve...all I can say is...wow.

I think we need a thread entitled: "Tips from the Wise Ones." Just a bunch of stuff like this. All the cool little tips, tricks, and ingenious "Why didn't I think of that?" kinda stuff. It's spread out through a bunch of threads, maybe someone could go through them and gather them up into one thread.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Hitting the scope with the 583 series should not be much of a problem. The early 181 series had a different ejector system and the brass went straight up causing scope issues. The 583 ejects out the side. Put some black tape on the bottom of the scope for the occasional errant piece of brass but I wouldn't worry about it too much otherwise.

kwg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts