Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
my 1st thought is it is berdan primed - look inside is there 1 or 2 flash holes?
if there are 2 flash holes it's berdan primed - not easily reloadable

·
Registered
833 Posts
IF its berdan primed, I am surprised you were able to deprime them easily... at least with a standard set of reloading dies. IF they are berdan primed, once you have them deprimed, you will need berdan primers to reload them. Boxer primers will be the wrong size, and will not fit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I expect that what he is seeing is the crimp ring, which will have to be removed to reprime the brass.
I also found some brass at a gravel pit a while back, but because I wasn't sure of its condition (reloaded many times or not) or how long it had been in the elements, I crushed the neck with some pliers to remove the temptation to chance putting it in my new (and expensive) AR.

However, my non-reloading friends came shooting soon after and left me with a bunch of once fired brass! :D

Unfoutunately, most of it was crimped and I didn't have a tool to remove it. (now backordered from Midway) and I read on one of these posts that someone said to just use a 1/4" drill bit in a pinch.

Sounded good to me but all I had on hand was a 11/64 bit which came real close.

Between my homemade :rolleyes: crimp remover and my case neck deburring tool I managed to save all (262) but 18 of them (chrushed primers) using this method. :cool:

I say I lost 18 because I decided to straighten out a slightly bent decapping pin in my reloading die...SNAP! :angry:...and the pin too is on backorder from Midway....for what its worth...your mileage may vary...my $.02...etc.

·
Registered
833 Posts
you can just use the conical end of the chamfer tool if you want... if I ever have any that are really crimped well, I just hit them quick on the case prep center on the inside case mouth chamfer die.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.