Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is my understanding. Many, many people use military 'surplus' 5.56 in their Mini-14s. I haven't heard of any problems.

There are some issues if you want to reload the military (5.56) rounds, but otherwise I'm unaware of any problems firing 5.56 in a sound Mini 14

·
Registered
716 Posts
Everything I have read indicates that the 5.56 ammo will work fine and harmlessly in a Mini-14. Supposedly, there will be accuracy differences between the .223 and the 5.56 ammo though. I have not verified this yet, but I'll look into it the next time I'm on the range.

I use .223 Wolf, .223 American Eagle, .223 Remington and 5.56x39mm Barnaul ammo in my Mini-14, and haven't had any problems with any of the above.

I have read that shooting 5.56mm may harm some other match-grade .223 rifles, if you're into competitive shooting.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What is "Barnaul "? Another Russian brand?

The only thing I've shot in mine is PMP's current manufacture, the stuff in the "Antelope" boxes. I obtained 1000 rounds for $145.

I may try some Wolf at some point, although I'm a little concerned about its painted finish on the steel case. Don't they also make a cartridge that has a nichol plated (looking) case?

·
Registered
716 Posts
The Nickel plated Wolf ammo is for handguns I think. I'm pretty sure they don't make nickel plated ammo for rifles.

Which "Paint" are you referring to? The steel case is coated with a varnish. It has so far not caused any problems with my gun, but I clean after every 400-500 rounds.

The red sealer on the primer and bullet seat sometimes flakes off and you'll find it in the damndest places when you clean, but it has never caused a functionality problem for me.

The Barnaul is steel cased as well, and is virtually identical to the Wolf ammo. Side-by-side, you can't tell the difference, but if you look at the headstamp, it says 5.56x45. Says "Made in Russia" right on the box. Approximately the same price as Wolf. Bought mine from ammoman.com, I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts