Perfect Union banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
45 cap loads

I've been loading the 45 acp since 1976. I bought a Colt SAA 45 Colt in 75 and later I wanted a Colt Govt model. I used a 200 swc and used bullseye and Unique. Any combination shot very good. Later that year I bought a S&W mod 25. I could load 3 grains of Bullseye with a 200 SWC. I think the light load on a auto loader was 4.2 grains of bullseye with a 200 SWC. I unfornatley traded that govt model for a pistol that should of been a step up. A AMT Hardballer. It needed a lot of work to get it to run like a Colt. But Bullseye I used because u could get over 1600 rds per pound. Powder back then was $3/pound.

·
senior shooter
9 Posts
I've loaded for the 45 ACP mostly for bullseye shooting. The best load I have for the 50 yd line is 4.2 gr Bullseye behind a 200 gr lead SWC bullet. At the 25 yd line for timed and rapid I use 3.7 gr Bullseye with the 200 gr lead SWC. I've been using these loads for over 30 years with fairly good success.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was using Clays with various cast bullets it was cleaner than Unique Seemed to have slower or softer recoil. To bad i can't find any for the last two years
Rmfcasey

Reactions: agrotom

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good to see some activity. I got back into handloading about 20 months ago. My first loads were 45 auto. At the time the only powder I could find was 4756 and 7625. I did not like the 4756 to well for 45 auto but the 7625 works great under a 230gr. MBC TCFN. Since then I have been able to pick up some other powders but I still use the 7625 for 45 auto. It is pretty much my go to powder for the caliber. I am not to concerned about it's discontinuation. I happened to find a good quantity of it about 6 months ago and it should be a long time before I run out of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Been reloading the 45 acp since 1972, my first auto was a Star model PS, next was a AMT Hardballer and latest is a 45 acp revolver Taurus model 455.
My old standby load is a Lyman #452460, 200 grain SWC, sized .452, over 5.2 grains of Unique.
At first the only powder I had was Unique, but when I started shooting in a league (NRA Bullseye match), I bought some Bullseye powder and discovered 4.5 grains of Bullseye, under that same 200 grain SWC bullet, was a better target load.

Gary

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm using 5.5 gr. of W231 behind a 230gr. hardball. This works just fine for me. I've also used 5.25 gr. of it with 200 gr. LSWC's, and that worked very well too.

Amy
Exactly what I was going to say. 5.5 gr Win. 231/HP-38 (exact same powder, different label according to the Hodgdon site) w/200 gr SWC or 230 gr RN.

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,548 Posts
anyone that's running Bullseye.....how heavy are your recoil springs vs. bbl length?

I ask because I have an 18.5# spring in my 4.5" Commander, bulk Bullseye, bulk 230gr hard LRN and a 4 die set on the way.

This gun has chewed through every 230gr factory target load I've tried, and a couple Personal Defense HP loads with 0 FTF so far......

I've gotten some really good results with .38spl, .357mag, and .45LC.....and would like to keep my 1911 set up as-is if possible with 100% feeding MANDATORY and excellent "defense distance" (12-25 yd) accuracy desirable.

any sage advice on this re: powder charge vs. spring wt. for 4.5" would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
i use 4.8 gns of bullseye with a 452. rnfp. 205 gn hardcast moly coat bullet with an 18 # spring out of both a 5in and 4in 1911 accurate as can be and deadly.oal 1.160 feeds as good as any.
this is just a plinking round presonal defence is 230 gn HST and 5.2 gns of bullseye and cci primers stout but very accurate,:D

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,548 Posts
thanks, and you're "spot on" there curt........
with 4.5 gr. under 230 Hard Cast, my wife was getting follow-up shots with her 3.5" like most do with a .380acp.......her last rapid fire 5 shot string was 4" outside to outside @ 12.5 yds.

my 4.25" Commander was clanking 5" steel plates every shot @ 25 yds with 5.0 gr. under 230 gr. Hard-Cast.

gotta get a box of those HST bullets to load for P/D....love the way they stay together in gel-tests.
currently carry the C45D but the HSTs seem infinitely better.

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
Reviving an old thread:
The 45 acp is the most challenging round to date for me. I finally have it dialed in but it took some experimentation. For one thing the 200 grain LSWC, the data is all over the place for charges and OAL. Case bulging okay, case bulging not okay.
So if you look at factory ball ammunition there is no bulge witnessing the presence of the bullet. But if you look at like Underwood high performance ammo you see witness expansion to accommodate the bullet. Starting with bulge, if you tube there are some really misleading videos out there but there were a couple of insightful ones too. Not all bulging is created equal, non uniform bulging indicates the bullet started crooked and stays crooked to a point. No matter what you do with the Lee factory crimp this round doesn't quite chamber right, even with and undersized tapered crimp. The solution is eliminate the concave surface of the seating die rod. I did this by a temp solution of a hot glue gun filling the cavity. I have a flat rod on order from Lee which I wiil modify (explanation later). Now the rounds are seating properly and uniformly.
Over all length: I saw really short 1.190 all the way up to 1. 275". and to add to the confusion I'm loading low charges so you have to interpret the failures correctly. So I sent an email to Bayou bullets and when I got home I had a voicemail saying call me when you get home and he gave me his cell number. I get home at 5pm PT and called him not expecting him to answer but he picked right up! We talked for a while but bottom line the customer service was excellent and in his own way, ye just want a finger nail of the second shoulder outa the case, told me to get it down to where some other forums were eluding to in length discussions.
I love Unique powder and my books are old but the Alliant website agreed on the charge. But I had read all the way up to 7.0 grains starting. I was starting with 5.2 but with the bulging and overall length question I stuck with the 5.2 until proven otherwise. It was proven otherwise with one failure in 5 rounds. The next step up in the disk dumper gives you 5.7 so I moved up to that and now and did 20 rounds.
I now have a load and bullet that are accurate and economical to shoot but dam I was used to a slam dunk no issues. The thin brass and the diameter plus the data spread led to a longer road.
So out of a service XD we have an over all length of 1.258 on top of 5.7 grains of unique and the results are outstanding.
I am going to take my flat bottomed seating die shaft and have it machined to match the bullet shape let me explain. In my line of work we have a CMM with a laser scanner which can scan an object and provide a point cloud. Then we can take the point cloud and turn it into a CAD model for a machining center to program. I'll provide pictures when it's done.
Let me know if your interesting in having me scan a bullet for you and create a CAD model. The target was 5 shots at 40 ft.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
My load for years has been 4.5 gr of red dot or clay dot with a lead or polymer coated 200 gr rnfp. I do run every loaded .45 acp through a lee bulge buster die to iron out any case imperfections as I shoot these through a variety of 1911s, smith and colt revolvers and several AR.45 carbines. The AR 45s tend to really bang up brass and if you shoot a 1911 wild bunch match you’re bound to get somebody elses brass. My ironed out load feeds, chambers and operates in every .45 I’ve got.

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,548 Posts
i'm still getting better than acceptable performance with my K.I.S.S. loads......

.45acp is really easy to overthink.......

but then again, 12.5 to 25 yards is my distance.........self defense only.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Getting the taper crimp right was the only part of loading for the .45 that needed some extra attention.
I tried to match the crimp of factory loads I had on hand.
I have L.E. Wilson or Lyman case length and headspace gauges for each caliber I load for.
They are meant mostly for checking the adjustment of your sizing die so you don't oversize brass, but are cut like a standard chamber for that caliber..

I drop each newly loaded round into the gauge. If it doesn't drop in all the way, or doesn't drop in as easily as the rest, there is a reason. Either the round is too long, or oversize in diameter, as in it missed the resizing stage.
That doesn't happen too often, like a couple times in thousands of rounds.

Catching a tight or over length round might save you some embarrassment at the range, or it might save your life if used for self defense.
I loaded several hundred rounds of 185 grain Golden Saber with W-W 231, and when those were gone, switched over to 200 gr. Speer Gold Dots.

Some say you should never use reloaded ammo for carry, but after 700 rounds or so without a hitch, I felt confident with them.
Nowadays, I just buy 3 or 4 boxes of Federal HST factory loads for each caliber.

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
Getting the taper crimp right was the only part of loading for the .45 that needed some extra attention.
I tried to match the crimp of factory loads I had on hand.
I have L.E. Wilson or Lyman case length and headspace gauges for each caliber I load for.
They are meant mostly for checking the adjustment of your sizing die so you don't oversize brass, but are cut like a standard chamber for that caliber..

I drop each newly loaded round into the gauge. If it doesn't drop in all the way, or doesn't drop in as easily as the rest, there is a reason. Either the round is too long, or oversize in diameter, as in it missed the resizing stage.
That doesn't happen too often, like a couple times in thousands of rounds.

Catching a tight or over length round might save you some embarrassment at the range, or it might save your life if used for self defense.
I loaded several hundred rounds of 185 grain Golden Saber with W-W 231, and when those were gone, switched over to 200 gr. Speer Gold Dots.

Some say you should never use reloaded ammo for carry, but after 700 rounds or so without a hitch, I felt confident with them.
Nowadays, I just buy 3 or 4 boxes of Federal HST factory loads for each caliber.
Good Morning Dog:
I'm having a heck of a time with the .45 acp. I have the power where I want it behind the coated Bayou bullet 200 gr coated cast swc. I thought I had it but I don't. Upon ejection cycle the spent case is standing up the round in the mag. Have you or anyone had this happen? I said I though I had it which means I have to struggle through firing 150 rounds to clear them out of inventory and start over. This last batch I have is .010" shorter than the 1.160" I thought was working. I'm wondering if I need to go just a tiny bit shorter to get the case wall right at the bullet transition on the shoulder to get the case wall kind of wrapped on the radius a bit. I'm assuming it's catching the case edge and standing up the round in the mag. DAMMIT!!

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
My load for years has been 4.5 gr of red dot or clay dot with a lead or polymer coated 200 gr rnfp. I do run every loaded .45 acp through a lee bulge buster die to iron out any case imperfections as I shoot these through a variety of 1911s, smith and colt revolvers and several AR.45 carbines. The AR 45s tend to really bang up brass and if you shoot a 1911 wild bunch match you're bound to get somebody elses brass. My ironed out load feeds, chambers and operates in every .45 I've got.
Bulge buster eh? I may try this!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts