Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys there is not much posting here yet so lets see if we can get something happening. Anyway who loads 45 acp with what and how. I am currently loading 4.5 grns of Titegroup behind a 200 grn. lswc and am very plesed with it. Boon:sniper:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am just getting started at this and here's what I am shooting and reloading with.
1- 45 ACP
2- Shooting it in a 1928 Thompson submachine gun and a Colt C.C.O. pistol and a W.W. II officers pistol.
3- loads: star bullet 230 gr. FMJ with Winchester primers and 5.2 gr of HP-38 powder.
4- I am using a Lee Progressive 1000 loader.
I have found that if you tumble them in corncob and then deprime and clean again with walnut shells, they look like brand new brass.
Like I said, just getting started and have only got the first 6 rounds for testing. Haven't had the chance to shoot yet but will let you know when I do. Any hints will always help.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I've been loading 10.4 grains of AA #5 pushing a 185 grain Speer Gold Dot. Pretty devasting.

:sniper:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm using 5.5 gr. of W231 behind a 230gr. hardball. This works just fine for me. I've also used 5.25 gr. of it with 200 gr. LSWC's, and that worked very well too.

Amy

Reactions: Bepe

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm still building my bench out in the garage -- but I am planning on loading .45 ACP to get started!

I got the following components to start with:
Powder: Unique
Bullets: Rem Golden Saber 230 HP and Rem FMJ 230

I got the press (3 of 'em, actually), dies, primers, brass ..... just lacking the workspace. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any input on Unique in this caliber? I went with it because it looked to be versatile in use for a few other calibers that I'm interested in loading for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I never could get a decent load with Unique. I load 4.1 gr. of Bullseye with a 200 gr. lswc (H&G 68 profile) and 4.5 gr. Bullseye with the 230 gr. Gold Dot. The 200 gr. load prints cloverleafs at 25 yards out of my Gold Cup (when I manage to do my part :D )

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oosk- I don't think six rounds will last long in that Thompson subgun. What is that, about a half-second burst?

I must confess that I have never had any interest in full auto stuff, but if I did, I would want a Thompson.

I don't shoot my .45s much these days. I find myself more interested in revolvers. When I did reload a lot for the ACP, I used 230 grain lead RN over about 5 grains of Unique.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No the 6 rounds didn't last but just about 1/3 of a second! But they did tell me that it was the right load. The next 1000 ran out almost as fast and was just as fun. Just finished my last 1000 last night.Now for the weather to break so I can burn that up just as fast.They also shot just as good in my Colt pistol. I'm using 230 gr. FMJ Star brand and Zero brand bullets with 5.0 gr. of HP-38 powder and Winchester primers. I'll post with future infos.

Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use 7.0gr Herco, CCI Mag. primer, IMI brass, 230gr-Hardball, Hornady XTP, and Speer GDHP's. My 45 is a 1991A1 With a 18lb. main spring w/Xpr FP spring, Shock buffs and full length Guide rod. They shoot good and don't kick alot. Good luck and good shooting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
- - -so maybe it's time for a lurker to get on record.

I've shot a LOT of handloads in various .45 ACP arms since the mid-1960s. Most of them, over the years were 230 gr, either lead RN or jacketed hardball 230 with 6.5 Unique, which I read was "Factory Duplication Load," some decades back.

After I got a chronograph, I found that this was needlessly hot with lead bullets, so cut back to 6.2 gr, which still gave around 860 in a 5" Govt Model Colt.

In last few years, I've been using 5.4 gr. of W-231, and this works fine with the lead bullets in 5" guns, plus an old Commander 4-1/4 and a Colt Officers Model ACP.

Naturally, anything that'll fit works well in my 1917 S&W. I don't have loading references here with me. I recall what i use, but not sure it it is within published data. It is based on a bulk-purchased 250 gr. .45 Colt LSWC and Unique powder. I have another using bullet from an old Lyman Keith-Thompson design mould, which casts up at 276 gr., sized and lubed. Needless to say, this is NOT for use in auto pistols or a cherished submachine gun, but it's a barn burner on steel plates, and may someday take down a Hill Country white tail. I try to keep this last one for loads in .45 Auto Rim cases, but HAVE used it in ACP cases for quick reloads in matches.

If anyone's interested, I'll look up my records and published data and post it, with appropriate cautions. I believe we owe each other, and the board operators, the consideration of indicating CAUTIONARY NOTES whenever giving out hotter-than-currently-published load data.;)

Best,
Johnny Guest

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Herco loads work for me and are worked up. They are safe according to Speer's guide. I also use HS6, but get more loads out of Herco. Good luck and good Shooting.

·
Registered
279 Posts
the best and also cleanest results I have seen come from;
9.0 Gr. Blue Dot powder and a Nosler 230 Grain FMJ

The second best load and the one that feeds perfectly (never a misfeed in 2 plus years) is;
10.0 gr. Blue Dot powder and 200 Grain Speer JHP

I don't normally use hard cast bullets unless I can pick up loaded ammo for what I usually pay for brass. I just dont like fouling in the field over long weekends of shooting.

:usa:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I generally either use my own cast bullets or those made by Magnus bullet company of Alabama.The 230 grain RN is an old favorite but the 200 gr swc is the real tackdriver. I am using WW231, bullseye and winchester WST powder. At present I use a Dillon 550 progressive press to load my .45 acp rounds.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
185 gr Rem GS over power pistol, cci primer. ka-boom in marlin camp .45 much too hot for standard built 1911 pattern pistols.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Wow, way to bring a thread back from the dead. I don't load for the 45 ACP, but I would use Unique or No 5. I have enough 452 cast bullets to last until the good Lord Returns. If I did load for it.

·
Draw, Varmint!
782 Posts
In 45 ACP pistols, of which I've always owned several, I have shot literally 10's of 1,000's of: Berry Manufacturing, 230 gr., RN, copper-plated bullets. (The ones with the fully enclosed bases!)

I (almost) always use CCI, #300, large pistol primers underneath 5.1/5.2 gr. of Alliant, 'Red Dot', double-based powder - A versatile powder that I, also, use in many of my shotgun loads.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts