Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun accumulating some .45 ammo. I have a couple boxes of ball Remington 185 grain stuff coming(around 1000 fps) to try out and a couple boxes of 230(800 or so fps) ball Magtechs to shoot.

I'm curious as to what people shoot in these guns for target as well as for self defence. In tests I've seen it shows that generally a faster round is better in a hollow point so you get the best expansion. For that reason I keep 124+P hp Winchester Rangers or 124+P hp Speer gold dots in my 9 mil for protection purposes.

I need to plan for some SD ammo for the 45 and am wondering what people are buying.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have begun accumulating some .45 ammo. I have a couple boxes of ball Remington 185 grain stuff coming(around 1000 fps) to try out and a couple boxes of 230(800 or so fps) ball Magtechs to shoot.

I'm curious as to what people shoot in these guns for target as well as for self defence. In tests I've seen it shows that generally a faster round is better in a hollow point so you get the best expansion. For that reason I keep 124+P hp Winchester Rangers or 124+P hp Speer gold dots in my 9 mil for protection purposes.

I need to plan for some SD ammo for the 45 and am wondering what people are buying.
Hi hottarod, most anything works for target and practical shooting. I reload my target ammo. IMO the best .45 ACP ammo for self defense is the 230gr Remington Golden Sabre for 5" barrels and 230gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel for short barrels (3-4"). You can find denim/ballistic gelatin test results that affected my carry selection choice on YouTube:
Remington Golden Saber .45 ACP 230 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/denim - YouTube
Speer 45 acp 230gr Gold Dot Short Barrel ballistic gel test - YouTube

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree on the Rem. Golden Sabre 230gr. HP for serious use. Nice Ammo.
For target I have a bunch of Sellers & Beloit 230gr. hardball that I got a deal on from Bulk Ammo before "Ballistic coefficient" referred to ammo prices.
It shoots pretty good. Fairly clean burning, I'd have no problem recommending it.
Richard

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes they are. Rem claims it is cartridge brass. And I can say from experience they expand like a son of a gun. Recovered one bullet that had expanded to nearly .75 and razor sharp edges.
Richard

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I have a few decent choices for SD ammo and I am finding 45 acp online. It just AINT very cheap right now.

I got to visit my new on layaway PT1911 at my gun shop. It is still purdy. Just in case one or the other sight was drifted off I looked closely. They are perfectly centered on the gun. I have been exceptionally frugal lately so I will be able to get it next week end. Gee. I feel like I'm a kid again and its Christmas only I already know what is in the box.

The shop saved my 5 shot target which reminded me that it is tracking a bit low and a bit left. I shot that group left handed too. I am hoping that most of that was due to the crap load of gunky junk Taurus crams inside these guns. Not really the best idea to even shoot one before a thorough clean up.

As clean as the trigger was when I shot the gun I don't think I was pulling them off target. Also, the 1911 felt totally natural to me like I have been shooting one for ages. It is probably due to my having shot my 92 a lot in the past 4 years and it is a full size gun. I also shoot +P's a lot and I didn't notice any more recoil with the .45 than my 9 mil. Both guns have a very similar weight and feel but the trigger on the 1911 is way much better than my 92.

Once I get past the expense of getting the 1911 I plan to send my 92 off for cerakote refinish. I'm leaning toward a trigger job for it too considering I will now have a gun with a very nice trigger pull and it is easy to get spoiled I guess.

Well I'm rambling on so I think I will sign off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My choice for self defense/deadly confrontation : Winchester Ranger 230gr. JHP +P T-series. Some swear by it and some don't. After witnessing a one shot stop to a 300lb. weapon wielding "crazed" suspect I am a believer, suspect took one shot to the thoracic region at about 24' and dropped faster than a drunk girl in stilettos.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a Kimber Custom II TLE and Springfield Loaded. Both handle any good quality FMJ 230 gr rounds (new and reloads) at the range. For HD, they use Remington JHP 230 gr rounds (L45AP7B).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whatever you do, don't shoot the steel case Tula stuff unless cost is a big issue.
If you have to shoot Tula (aka Russian ammo), clean pistol immediately afterwards, don't wait a single moment, the Berdan primer after effects on the pistol causes a lot of corrosion... very dirty powder, lots of smoke (I thought modern gunpowder was smokeless? Not in Russia LOL). Shoot only good quality American brass ammo. I'm partial to Hornady critical defense ammo, but that's me. Ball ammo for practice at the range. I've used PMC ammo, made in Philippines and it's brass case boxer primer clean powder, no problems.
I've had Tula's primers "pop" out head of the cartridge and jam my weapon... very bad.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
For carry I use Remington Golden Saber 185 gr. +P. I get an honest 1130+ FPS and over 500 ft lbs of muzzle energy.

As for practice, I've never put a factory round through any of my 1911s in the 35 years I've had them.

Favorite practice load:

230 gr swaged bullet over 4.5 gr Titegroup. Generally load a 1000 in a batch and keep a few thousand on hand.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have a Kimber Pro Carry II and I have very good results with 200 gr. ball for practice. I use Win. Ranger 230gr. for HD.

I have heard that 230 gr. works for 5 inch.
200 gr. for 4 inch
and 185 for three inch.

It works with my rig.
Makes sense. The shorter the barrel, the less velocity you have so drop down in bullet weight to keep expansion reliable. For practice in my 4" Kimber CDP, I shoot W-W 230gr. ball in the 100 packs, and save the brass to re load more hardball. For defense, I've used Federal HydroShok's, and Remington 185 gr Golden Saber JHP's., both good rounds. I now shoot the Speer 200 grain Gold Dot (bonded bullet).

·
Draw, Varmint!
797 Posts
45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) = Preferred loadings are (1) CCI/Speer, 'Gold Dot', 230 grain JHP; (2) Fiocchi, XTP, 'Extrema' 230 grain JHP; as well as occasional wintertime carry with (3) (usually) Fiocchi, 'Pistol Shooting Dynamics', 230 grain, FMJ hardball.

If, for any reason, I can't get either, 'Gold Dot' or, 'Extrema' ammunition then I usually pick up Remington, 'Golden Saber'. I've, also, got several boxes of Winchester, 'PDX1 - Defender' ammo that I keep on hand.

For strictly practice and range work I use a lot of the Wal-Mart, 'El Crapo' ammo: Federal, 'Champion'; Remington, 'Green Box'; and CCI/Speer, 'Aluminum Blazers'. (Which run very well in both of my Glocks!)

I, almost, never use Winchester, 'White Box'; or Remington/UMC, 'Yellow Box' ammunition. It's just too filthy! Neither do I like to use anything other than 230 grain bullets in 45 ACP caliber. (Both of my 45 ACP pistols are early production, 3rd generation, Glock Model 21's. The ONLY Glocks to own!) As for steel-cased ComBloc ammo? Nope! I wouldn't run that crap through any of my guns.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
For practice the cci blazers are still fairly cheap.
For carry I've always liked a .45 acp round that comes out of the muzzle at around
1000 fps. A ways back I used the Speer 200 grn HP , the one called the "flying ashtray"
due to its over large hollow point cavity. Now I load the Speer 200 grn. gold dot HP.
I think all of the premier .45 ammo made nowdays does the job.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.