Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just traded for a 12" SS TC Custom shop barrel. I have never owned a 445 Supermag Contender barrel. Any comments or reloading help would be appreciated. I plan to use 44 magnum dies.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jeff:

Winchester 680 is powder of choice for the 445SM. Don't let them try to tell you that Accurate 1680 is a 'match' for W-680. It is a good second choice but loads will have to be developed. It is NOT A 'REPLACEMENT' FOR w-680.
With Win-680 I at one point had three loads, 240, 260 and 300 gr. bullets loaded to strike at the same inpact point at 100 yds. I passed the load data on with the barrel and brass when I sold the barrel.
It is a fun cartridge to shoot, if you don't mind A** kicking recoil. Trust me when I say that it is not a load that you want to launch from a one handed grip very much!!! I played with mine for a couple of years and absolutely Anchored a few deer with it. I finally decided to get rid of it after spending an afternon at the range 'plinking'. I became aware of discomfort on my elbows and looked to see that I had actually rubbed the skin off my elbows from the recoil. I said to my self, self there ain't nothing 'fun' about tearing the hide off of your elbows! I also realized that I didn't need that much gun to kill something as fragile as a white tail! I stopped shooting it and called a buddy that had been frothing at the mouth to get his hands on my 445 SM [14"] barrel. We both came away grinning.
Win. 680 is hard to find but still available, a couple of years ago I picked up a 8# jug while at Camp perry for the matches. They had made a special run and had it priced to sell. I recall that at least one person had posted that it was available over the net, but I don't know had it?
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, put a red dot or aim point scope on that darn thing. They require no eye relief, and you only need to sneak up on one maximum load from a 445 SM round to know whay I say this! It hurts and blood flys every where, like to never got the durn gun reloaded to shoot the second deer. It's hard to reload a pistol with a hand full of bleeding nose in one hand and the pistol and cartridge in the other gloved hand. Worse yet, when you come out of the woods after having killed not one but two nice deer, the sumbiches who are supposed to be your buddies will laugh their arsses off at your calamaty!! Jest don do hit, at's all I can say.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Homer, I think I have 3 or 2 pounds of 680. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
71 Posts
:2guns: ol fren, havin yo forgot bout de yung fellr at white oak zeroin his 445. Dey wus a pint or mor o blod atanaroun his shotn benh. Mabes ol :2guns: rembern bran not workn wel. Mabes hes wantn sum dat ol stanby fer shotrs cald fflinchn. Ifn dat hapns wes all be putn it on ol:2guns:. Ahs won be betn mi pensn on it be hapinn.:usa:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sixgun:

Once ye got er tuned in real good, be sure and do a few free handed [DOUBLE GRIPPED THAT IS] Standing position groups, just be sure that you are lined up so that the recoil clears your right ear!!!
Seriously, Recoil in the standing position is less punishing, and awsome!!! One second you are squinting at the target, the next you are wondering, how in *ell did I ever hang on to that sucker! Then u'l do it agin and agin! Makes you feel like Dirty Harry, Wiatt yerp, Billiy the Juvenile Delenquent and ol Will Bill all rolled into one!

I should NOT have to tell a shootist such as yourself this, but there is one major caviatte [were in *ell's att durn speller button?]
I'll put it in 'hill billy' so'z they's no mistakin what I am a tryin to tell ya.
DO NOT TRY TO DOWN LOAD THE 445 SM, The case is too large and YOU WILL GET DANGEROUS PRESSURES AS A RESULT OF 'FLASH OVER'! DON'T EVEN THINK OF LOADING BELOW THE LOWEST LOWEST LOAD DATA. It will cause you one of them thare SEE's, that's Significant Emotional Experiences! Or a SRC, that's Sudden Religious Conversion! an while it is doing that for ye. It mite also blow yer arss up!
Good night, Homer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts