Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with the 444 Marlin thinking of buying one. I have done alot of research on it,and like what I see. I would be using it as a deer rifle when its raining ETC when I dont want to take my other rifles out. I like the ballistics but thats just paper,I think it would make a good brush gun. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 or the new 450 should do you better over there in the hill country. I would lean to the 45-70 because of the ammo availability.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm big into .44's and the .444 is going to be my next step. We can now get 405gr bullets in .4295" hence it is reaching the level of being comparable to a .45/70 in many arenas. Having multiple firearms using the same components is ideal for me and I no longer own any .45's so it makes a lot of sense for me to go to the .444.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The one thing about the 45-70 is it's a sure bet. Who knows about the .450 Marlin? It may suffer the same lack of interest as the .444.

The one thing I always think of is how easy ammo is to acquire while you're out in that remote area near that proverbial Egyptian town in the middle of nowhere.

My rule of thumb is don't by any caliber for hunting unless ammo is readily available at Wal Mart. Furthermore, I actually sight my hunting rifle in with a weight and make of ammo that is exactly like a product Wal Mart offers. Actually I think Wal Mart is a downtown destroyer but the facts is the facts.

I live in a metro area and those high dollar specialty express magnum, light magnum, super duper loadings et al, etc. are great until you run out and find yourself in some remote Wal Mart near that proverbial Egyptian town. You wind up having to go out and re-sight your gun in.

Calibers that I have found to be in abundance are: .44 Magnum, .270, .30-06, .243, 7mm Mag, .308Win among others. The one ubiquitous caliber that no country store or remote outpost is without is the venerable .30-30.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Whoa! Where have you been lately? The .444Marlin is FAR from lacking in interest! You can find Marlins, Winnies, Contenders, Encores and others in this fine caliber. It's an excellent North American hunting caliber and will take everything on this continent. No it isn't a .45/70, but it won't abuse YOU in order to get the job done.

The .444Marlin has been around since the early '60's so I wouldn't say 'lack of interest' let it die! BTW, I can find ammo for it all over around here. And for the reloader who already has .44's it is a great step UP!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts