Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
FACTUALLY true in all respects, however some modification to the .45 case - thicker inner web at the extractor cut and beefed up primer case head - have resulted in the .45 Super and an example of lengthening as the .44, .357 treatment resulted in the .460 Rowland. only modern pistols made with the substantially stouter metal and better heat treatment should be used to build this chambering.
I've shot the Super in my Marlin Camp gun which I modded years back. my favorite 'whacking load' consists of a 40 gr sj fn sp over 9 gr of PP. don't own a chrono so no fps data but that slug comes out the muzzle with a 'crack'. plenty of power for the big black bears and feral hog that populate the slopes facing S. Calinky. I shot a 320- lb field dressed weight boar that had been foraging nearby a large Baptist church camp/retreat and agriculture nearby. 3 years old best pork I've ever eaten. shot it dead through the shoulder/neck plate broke the spine the bullet was stuck in the far side hide nearly broke through. 1 shot DRT

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
my admitted modest knowledge of cartridge designs the .45 acp case wall and rim thickness designed by JMB was adequate for the pressure limit of proof rounds with none to spare as was the design of the pistol that fired it. more powerful firearms were few at that time, maybe .45 Colt revolver and the .44 special - the .44-40 maybe.
and the revolvers that fired it used rim clips, most were 3 shot - which could fire handloads of higher pressure than factory. those guns had more recoil of course and limited demand for them.
interesting thread though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts