Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have learned from a Long Range Hunting forum that long range shooters tune their skills using accurized Ruger 10/22 rifles. They shoot goffers at 200 yds, and gallon milk jugs at up to 400 yds. I am going to do the same for under $300, I would appreciate any help from your experience that you can render.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im gonna try it again,

Rimfirecental.com

This is a reat place to read about .22's, Im in the same boat, I want to build a nice 1022, though I have a different rifle in mind. Thanks for the link for the Butler lite weight barrel, Im not sure why It did not post my response.
The rifle I want to build is a 1022 with the mentioned barrel and a houge over molded stock, not to leave out some trigger work and a better mag release lever.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, and the link BlackhillsBob. You will like the Hogue, I put one on my mini-14. I shot at the range today with a couple of sherrif deputies, they liked the hogue stock.
I didn't mean to yell, at everyone. In looking at the slim number of views, I can see why there are so few replies in this forum. Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 10/22 will already shoot 2 miles. It says so on the ammo box!.:D
Thanks for cheering me up LTS.:)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cajungeo,
I believe you've stepped into a cow pattie with this 400 yd 22LR idea.

What would that little slug do to me at 400 yards? Say, if it hit me square in the shoulder, would it break skin? Or would it feel like a spit ball?

Could you check it out on regular 2x4's? Plain old soft pine or spruce. If it sticks into that, I'll pay attention.

KC

·
Registered
282 Posts
KC
I think you might have misread the original post. I thought he said using it to 'hone' long range shooting skills. That little chunk of lead sure makes a lot more sense than for that purpose than shooting my 300 for 'honing' my skills.

Cajun
You going to do it for less than 300 not counting optics, right? The Hogue stock has a nice feel but I really like the feel of one of the semi-finished Fajen stocks that were avail from Midway a while back.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Punchie, you are correct. I have been interested in long range shooting. So on Long Range Hunting forum ( These guys Hunt, and kill large animals like Elk at 1000 yds or more with large bore rifles), there were several posts on this subject of the 22 rimfire. They do shoot goffers at 200 yds with 22 rimfire, and to practice long range skills, and for fun. Some shoot cans, at 200 yds, and another shoots gallon milk jugs, at 400 yds. Another had just unwraped his satelite dish, and was going to use the 6ft cardbord for a target to sight in his 10/22 at 400 yds. I think I would like to do this, so I bought an Adams & Bennett 920 fluted SS barrel ( It has a bentz match chamber which is said to like a wide varity of ammo), and a Laminated Fajen stock Unfinished. The barrel is 18" Maby a 20" would develop a few more fps? I plan to do a trigger job, or buy match trigger parts. Also a bolt buffer, and possibly bed the action, or barrel, and a couple other goodies. I am still researching these areas, and sanding the stock (she will be a beauty!:D ). Modifying the 10/22 is cheep, and you don't need no stinking smitty!
I already have a tasco 6-24x44 target scope. The barrel, and stock cost me $212, so I believe I am still within my final budget of $300 or less.
By the way the range of a 22 LR is 1 1/2 miles, so Kalif, I bet it would do a little more than break skin at 400 yds.:p

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm a new guy here. I shoot big bore and IPSC but need help building a long range 22.

I'd really like to see some constructive ideas on this subject. I've agreed to shoot some small bore matches which move from 75 to 125 to 175 yards. Apparently some people are talking about shooting out to 200 yards which is really pushing it for a 22.

I've looked at 5 different barrel manufacturers and they all naturally think their product is great. What "real world" experience does anyone have for conponents that perform 1) regardless of cost and 2) within reasonable costs.

Does anyone know the configurations the top match shooters use and the ammo used for the 10/22s.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Punchie's right, I did misread the intent of the original post. I suppose a lot can be learned about ballistics, wind correction, and working with a scope.

About breaking skin, I'm sure you're right, Cajungeo. The 22LR should do some damage at 400 yds. I'm sure it could pierce soft tissue and require an emergency room visit.

I grew up with a 22 semi-auto for small game and plinking. Since I could never hit anything even at 100 yards, it was never considered a serious rifle. Those 1 1/2 mile warnings have been on ammo boxes as long as I can remember. We always took the warning seriously and made sure where the round was going. If there was anything out there but woods, a hill, backstop, or open fields out in the general direction of our target, we simply forego the shot. It was not an option to consider. So I have no idea what the range of a 22 is.

It would be very educational to find out just how bad that little ball is at 400 yards.

KC

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi new guy, I am new at building a 10/22 myself, I may talk slow, but I'm a quick study. I will share with you what I have learned from others on the net, and reading articles so far.
BARRELS: From the top end is Clark, Hart, and Volquartsen. These are expensive. Shooting almost as good, and best bang for the buck is Green Mountain ( if on sale less than $100). I bought an Adams & Bennett, because some believe it is made by Green Mountain, and is the same except the name stamped on it, and shoots the same. The Green Mountain is very popular, and may take several weeks to get it. I had my A&B in 4 days. For the range your shooting at I'd go with the 20".
STOCKS: Definately a laminated stock. If you want a finished stock check out Boyds Blaster for $150. I bought a Fajen thumbhole Silhouette Stock (unfinished) Looks exactly like the Blaster. The Fajen is $99. Midway has the A&B / Fajen combo for $194 to $212.
TRIGGER & MISC: Volquartsen, has parts, to drop in triggers. You gotta get a bolt buffer $9.95 to protect your receiver. A bug hole tuner is the way to go to support the bull barrel, you can adjust the barrel harmonics to match your ammo.
The majority of the shooters, shoot 25 to 50 yds. So barrel length is a moot point. Most all shoot under .5" at 50 yds. But for the distance we plan to shoot, longer is better. If my 18" A&B needs to be a 20" then I will have built an excellent Rabbit, and Squirel gun, and then will build a better LR gun. This stuff is fun! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks cajungeo, great info. Competition is very tough here and if you aren't using high quality components you've lost before you show up. I'd almost settled on a Volquartsen barrel and trigger assembly. What do you think is the best barrel bedding system and who makes a bug hole tuner for the 10/22? I'll check out the stocks later this week.

As a group, what barrel configurations have you guys seen to be proven superior? Is there a place to review the combination and configurations of components used by long range competition shooters?

Don't mean to throw out so many questions but I have less than a month to pull it all together.....Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Volquartsen still claims their barrels will outshoot the competition. I'm also looking into barrels made by Liljo Precision Rife Barrels, Inc. Their specs are very good they are willing to stand behind their product if it does not preform to spec, per Dan the owner. He says accuracy of .2/.3 at 50 yards and .6/.7 at 100 yards guranteed. It may almost be a moot point as to quality when it's narrowed down to the top two or three, then it just becomes a matter of pricing considerations and warranty.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe you couldn't go wrong either way. That is very tight groups to warranty.
Just to run something past ya, have you been to one of the matches, to see what the top shooters shoot with? They may be using bolt guns. I always say: "I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to!"
Here is an interesting article on bedding the 10/22. I thought I had posted it earlier, but couldn't find it. So here it is again.
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/1022bedding.html

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cajungeo
Now you opened up a whole new bucket of worms. I thought you wanted to re-invent the wheel. Can you get a 10/22 to do what you want? Yes. Is it going to be better than a decent bolt gun? Faster, yes; better, maybe!!

If you want decent and cheap try the Savage 22s at the CMP.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Punchie, I didn't mean to open a can of worms. I could build a more consistantly accurate, bolt gun than I can an auto loader. The bolt action has a tighter chamber, and no moving gas operated parts. I've read the difference in benchrest competetion between 1st place and 10 place may be only 1/10". The top shooters usually have the most expensive guns, and they are bolt guns. If I build an auto loader for $300, and the top shooter with a custom Auntzr or whatever wins, because he spent $1500 to $2000, in my book I'll be the winner :D :D :D :D. I guess it depends on ones point of view. I like the Ruger Mini-14, and the 10/22. I like to improve them, as much as possible. The reason I chose the 10/22 is, because of all the drop in parts available. I like doing the work, I just hate to lay down a lot of cash for only a very small improvement. It will shoot .5" or less at 50 yds. Some people are very competetive, and will do whatever it takes to win. They are the champions we all look up to.
I say, "know what your going after, and be willing to pay the price.";)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can a simi-auto outshoot a bolt action of equal grade? NO. Are they close? YES. BUT the semi-auto has more utility. Simply depends on what you want to do. I've definitely lost matches to bolt action rifles but on the flip side I've out shot the same people with their own gun. That may be good for the ego but it doesn't change the record book. Bottom line is you have to live with your decisions regardless of the consequences or pain, haha.

Guns are just like cars, the first mods give you the best bang for the buck. Soon you are paying out the big bucks for one or two tenths.

I've found about four more barrel makers today. Think I'm closing in on the right info but it may take another day of two.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi PSG1, the only shooting I've done is the 18" verses 22" Velocity check. They shot the same. I am ordering my stock, and barrel this weekend, along with some trigger stuff. I have been in the research stage up to now. I have talked to a few people who regularly shoot 200 yds. One is with the state, animal rehab for large reptiles, Big snakes, and gators, he shoots prarie dogs for their food, at 200 to 250 yds and some times to 300 yds. He uses a SGT to modify his bullets. I will post when I learn more on this subject. I think I have all the info. I need to begin building my project, just need to order. Should have the parts middle next week.
P.S. I was shot in the leg at the range this morning, see my post in the mini-14 forum.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I question anyone who makes the 300 yard claim with a .22 rimfire for varmit shooting, with consistant hit`s. Even 200-250 is a stretch. This is like the guy`s website claiming 1,000 yard hits with the .17 HMR on targets, but when you do the math, it requires 54 feet of scope elevation......let alone the bullets energy/weight to make the flight AND even a light breeze. In the last year, I have seen many of these claims and as of yet, not one can be proved. It is simply their word, with a friend backing it......as in NO independent proof. LTS

5.56 NATO (XM16E1):

Bullet Weight = 55 grains
Nominal Muzzle Velocity = approximately 3185 fps
Muzzle Energy = 1239 ft. lbs.
Muzzle Energy at 500 yds. = 252 ft. lbs.

.22 Long Rifle (Generic .22 Rifle):

Bullet Weight = 40 grains
Nominal Muzzle Velocity = 1335 fps. (high velocity ctg.)
Muzzle Energy = 158 ft. lbs
Muzzle Energy at 500 yds. = ?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts