Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S&W model 19-5 3" barrel. I always put .38's through it until yesterday. I picked up at auction 100 rounds of .357 mag so I could work up some some loads. So I went out back yesterday because we had that sun thing out haven't seen that in a long time. I shot 12 to have some cases for development. The .357 magnum is a surprisingly smooth shooting round had a fist sized group at 20 yards. I had to push the first six past the .38 special ledge in the cylinders, the second six dropped right in. And I thought I had the cylinders clean. I brush the heck out of them after use but apparently not. I think I'll keep this revolver on a strict diet of .357 from now on. Now where is my old can of Blue Dot?

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,708 Posts
Yes, if you're a reloader the very best idea is to totally avoid .38 Special cases and just load some lighter loads in .357 cases for practice.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Chill: Be careful with Blue Dot and 124 and 125 grain bullets.

Alliant Powder - Safety Notice
Search domain www.alliantpowder.com/getting_start...om/getting_started/safety/safety_notices.aspx
During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications: Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).

Also Blue Dot should not be used in 41 mag revolvers for any load.

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chill: Be careful with Blue Dot and 124 and 125 grain bullets.

Alliant Powder - Safety Notice
Search domain www.alliantpowder.com/getting_start...om/getting_started/safety/safety_notices.aspx
During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications: Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).

Also Blue Dot should not be used in 41 mag revolvers for any load.
Thanks Sparkie. Yes I was aware of this a number of years ago Alliant had to make a statement about BD. I have cycled hundreds of reloads through my Blackhawk in .41 mag prior to that warning and I have about 300 rounds of it loaded up from many years ago that I will shoot. The .357 load is going to be under a 140 grain STX bullet. Did anyone every find out why Alliant had to issue that warning? Then you have to ask yourself why the .44 magnum is okay? I know early S&W models had a cracking issue with the 125 grain. But I feel completely safe using BD in my applications however there are some new powders out there and some old tried and true ones as mentioned above.
I thought I had some BD left and I do not. I do have some RD left about a half a can which I can use but at lower velocities. BUT TRY AND FIND ANY POWDER!! I go out to Gun Broker and yeah No way am I going to be gouged like that. SO then I had a brain fart and said what about Canada eh? SO I talke to a really nice lady. They have powder, but getting it down here is cost prohibitive unless you get a bunch of guys together and place a larger order to spread the cost of their hazmat blah blah blah. So I am in standby mode for now and when it's available I'll get some power pistol or something other than my go to Blue Dot.

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,548 Posts
I could be wrong but I think it's the same possible barrel bursting issue that has caused a warning label on my winnie magnum powder

·
CantRe Member
628 Posts
All I run through mine are 357 cases. Loads vary of course

I like 296/H110 for hot loads and Unique and Bullseye for the lighter charges

I really like the 140gr XTP bullet at max velocities. It expands really well!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
From Alliant web site:

Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.

During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Also I heard years ago that Saami reduced pressure specs on the 44 mag
as the S&W models would not handle the specified pressures.
I guess Elmer did not use S&W in his tests, I do know he blew up a bunch
of guns to get the original specs he submitted to Saami.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I've shot lots of BD thru a ruger 41 mag with 210 grain pills.
Lots of 124 grain with BD in a ruger s6 no straight lead
jacketed or plated berry's no lead ring using 38spl cases.

Reactions: chill1955

·
Registered
8,392 Posts
Never had any BD, have loaded lots of cast (blue lube ring) 125 gr over stiff charge of RD, and 'accurate' plated 125 also. 4" barrel GP 100. Standard primers. Shot good, whacked steel loudly.

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The FTX rounds are 140 grains over Unique 2 tenths under max. The 9mm shown are 130 grain GT Bullets I just loaded at the 5 grain max for unique. But these are also slightly compressed! Nothing showing for over pressure but DAM they are stout! The target is the 9mm at 20 yards testing reliability. All rounds are drop tested when loading pistols for COAL. The .357's are not going as quick as they would with other powders but hey I have unique and it does dam near everthing! And I love the GT bullet offerings!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I agree pistol, rifle or shotgun unique works in all.
Hotter is not necessarily more accurate.

Reactions: chill1955
1 - 13 of 13 Posts