Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed a lot of rifle makers are offering 308 rifles with 18 inch barrels whereas other cartridges are 22.
Is the 308 still effective at 18 where others aren’t?

· Banned
1,052 Posts
Wow, that is quite the coincidence. I was reading an article yesterday about this very subject. Just funny you asked, because the article was written yesterday. You got some good timing: 308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO: Barrel Length versus Velocity (28″ to 16.5″)

But it's pretty much basic stuff. The shorter the barrel is the less velocity and foot pounds it will produce. The longer the barrel is the more velocity and foot pounds. I think manufactures are going with the 18's is maybe just for better maneuverability if you where hunting in some think brush. But you be the judge.

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting! I read his 308 and 300 Win mag articles. Very cool!
I have a Ruger American standard in 308 and have considered going to 18”. But haven’t convinced myself to do it.

· Banned
1,052 Posts
Very interesting! I read his 308 and 300 Win mag articles. Very cool!
I have a Ruger American standard in 308 and have considered going to 18”. But haven’t convinced myself to do it.
Well the obvious solution to your decision is "what you would use it for." But I find that decision a little harder myself. I would like a good all around gun that is handy and still effective at long range, but it's pretty hard to find something that fits both those categories. For now I just have to diversify my firearms on their intended use. For example, if I'm in the thick I would use my old Marlin 30-30 with iron sights, and if I'm on the deer stand in a big cut over I will use my Browning A-Bolt .270 with the S&B Klassic that has a 15 power zoom. But trying to keep to the 1000 lbs. rule the 30-30 barely breaks that rule at 200 yards and the .270 at 500 yards. Seems like on the chart a 18inch barrel .308 effective range keeping to the 1000lbs rule is 600 yards. So I would really consider how far out you want to shoot and how much energy you are trying to retain when making your decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.