Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I have several 20 rd Promags that work well. I don't know about the 30's. The followers don't always lock the bolt back on the last shot or empty mag. I have had mine for 10+ yrs.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I have found a decent supply for about $29 each. Are they worth a try? I have a 580series Ranch. What say you?
Thanks,
Eric
I've used the Steel 20rnd Promags and they work great in my gun. I'd say they work as reliable as the Factory 20rd mags.

I've never used the 30rd Promags. I've only used the Factory 30rd's

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Hi Cserv;

I've got a bunch of promag 20's and 30's. They all work, with the proviso that the bolt doesn't always lock open on the last shot as they come from the factory. The fix is to very carefully remove a little material from the follower so that the tab that engages the bolt catch will go up "just enough". Once they're fixed, they're fine.

30 rounders, whether Ruger or Promag all have a quirk, which is that when fully loaded they can be hard to insert in the action if the bolt is forward. Its endemic to the design, so it is what it is. And if you do insert a fully loaded 30 on a closed bolt, expect to dent the cartridge shoulder. Some people freak out at this, but I just shoot 'em and have never had any problems. Dents pop right out on firing IME. YMMV so if dented cases bug you stick with the 20 bangers.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have 20 and 30 round ProMag steel mags. All work flawlessly for me. One of the 20s is actually a 21. I've not had a last shot bolt open problem with any. $29 seems like a decent price at this time. The last time I bought 20s were about $7 cheaper than 30s.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I think they just copied the factory mags with the exception of the follower.
They're similar but not the same.

Ruger mags use thicker steel and a different pattern of welds to hold 'em together. Overall I like the Ruger mags better but find it difficult to cost-justify spending $35-40 on a Ruger when I've had good luck with ProMags at $20 locally (Academy comes through again).

One thing I have considered doing is upgrading the followers on my ProMags with Ruger factory ones but haven't really had a reason to do it yet.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've had good luck with 20rd Promags.
They look REAL similar to Ruger mags.

Keep an eye on Sportsmansguide.com.
They had them in stock yesterday and I'm pretty sure they were less than $20 each.

Of the last 3 I got in, one wouldn't hold the bolt open.
Had to bend one of the lips out just a tad.
Same thing I had to do to my last Ruger 20.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like the 20 rnd PM's... Kind of shy away from the 30's as I've found that the longer mag can hang up at inopportune moments and can be aggravating if you are shooting on a bench or lying prone.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.