Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a portable kit to reload match-quality 30-06 ammo (168gr HPBT w/ Varget) for a 1917 pattern US Enfield. I've narrowed down my options to 2 main choices:

1) Lee Hand Press w/ neck-sizing only die
2) Lee Target Loader Zero-Error

What I am hoping to get from all of you guys are your experiences with and opinions of the Lee Target Loader. I know that the hand press will be much more versatile and quieter than the old "whack-a-mole" system, but what this post is concerned with is: accuracy and compactness. I'm fairly certain I'll end up buying a hand press to complete my Bug Out gear sometime in the future but I really like the whole notion behind the Lee Loaders and have heard over and over that the ammo produced by the Zero-Error can be second to none if done properly and with quality components. Add to that my inexplicable need to be at least marginally unique, and the result is that I'm leaning towards buying the Target Loader and putting off purchasing a hand press until I sell my Breech Lock Challenger starter press.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I think I might have found yet another reason why hardcore users of this won't ever see a new production run: The Target Loader's patent isn't held by the Lees as many have told me, it's held by Gordon Shaenzer, who is named as President of Lee Custom Engineering in a lawsuit between Lee Custom Engineering and Richard Lee (1979.) I know Lee Precision already says that the company is unrelated, but people often speak of Dick Lee holding the patents but being forced out of company control. He also briefly mentions formerly producing the Target Loader in his Modern Reloading 2nd Ed. that I have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lee loaders

I've been loading with lee loaders and a lee hand primer for about 6 months now.I upgraded to a quality scale and powder dump for load versatility and I've been content and pretty fast.
I'm getting a press this week mostly to just full length resize used 30-06 brass I pick up. I'll probably use the press quite a bit, but until now I've been happy without it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
"2) Lee Target Loader Zero-Error"

Unless you already know where to find one, good luck! They haven't been made for decades.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get the Lee hand press, with proper lube you will be able to full length resize if needed and you will also end up with larger arms and chest. :D

I have both types you mentioned as backups "BUT" at some point you will need to bump the shoulder back for easy chambering and the Lee Loader will not do this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts