Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE SEEN SOME ADS ON THE WEB ABOUT 22LR CONVERSION KITS FOR THE MIN1 14. IS ANYONE USED ONE BEFORE OR IS USING ONE NOW, I WOULD APPRCIATE ANY FEED BACK..............Z FROM CA:eek:

·
Registered
689 Posts
zennon I don,t recall anyone around here thats tried one. I,ve seen the kits for sale also. I have heard people say the kits for the AR,s lead the barrels bad when shooting alot of 22,s through them causing gas problems when going back to 223. As for the Mini I could,nt say.

·
Registered
38 Posts
:rapid:
I have one of the Ciener 22LR conversion kits. It feeds and fires reliabily but does not extract reliabily. I noticed upon inspection the extractor is missing (it is amazing it ever extracts!). Anyway I expect it would work find if the extractor was present. Thx-Ace

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a "Ciener 22LR converter" for my Colt 45 and I had a problem with it not letting the slide go back after the brass was ejected.
After some inspection on my part I found that the trigger was rubbing against the clip to hard and not letting the slide cycle. I cleaned the area around the trigger and cleaned the clip with an electric buffing wheel (polished it) then put a couple drops of oil back on the clip and have never had a problem since no matter how fast I shoot it.
I told you that story to get to this. I LIKE IT.
The Ciener looks to be a quality made product. It wasn't their fault that my trigger slide area might be thicker than the factory's
and I did have the trigger replaced before I got the converter.
Next, if the converter isn't over One YEAR old "Ciener" will replace or fix it FREE to the Original Owner as per their Warranty. Only a ONE YEAR Warranty with reciept from date of purchase.
Well, thats my two or three cents worth.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have one of the Ceiner conversions. So far it works well with the higher powered ammo, Stingers, Yellowjackets and such. Fairly accurate also. Online Midway has them on sale for, I think around $95. A good investment for your rifle. Good Luck Joe

·
Registered
175 Posts
guys do the 22 conversions lead the barrel? and how does the rifle function when you convert back to .223 ammo?...gut

·
Registered
10 Posts
save your money. The first thing to consider is "how am I going to get all that lead of the barrel when I'm done shooting? " (remember, much lower velocity, non-jacketed bullets, different twist rate) Save your dough and buy a Reminton 597 or a Ruger 10-22 and shoot all you want for under $9.00 a brick. MHO........................fighterjock:rapid:

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
I've heard that firing proper copper coated .223 (or even a high quality copper plated .22 rimfire) through the firearm after a day of lead rimfire shooting will take care of the leading. The copper doesn't just push the lead out, it actually chemically grabs the lead.

That said, I've also heard of leading in the gas port, which will eventually result in short stroking. The lead builds up at the gas port edge as the bullet squeezes past it.

Never had any real experience though, just passing on nuggets of questionable value ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bill: you are correct sir. Actually, the jacketed bullet acts like a soldering iron and "tins" the lead to it. Howver since the the lands on a 223 are cut differently than on a rimfire, the "tinning" process won't get it all. And as you mentioned, short-stroking is a fairly common problem. After using a 22 conversion kit on both a mini and an H-K , I finally gave up. Instead of my normal 45 minute cleaning session, it turned into 2 hours or more to get the bore clean. ....................fighterjock:rapid:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts