Perfect Union banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought some hornady 22cal 70gr sp wanting to use them for hunting,I tried several different loads but at 50yds I couldnt get better than about a 7" group with my mini,so I tried to see how they would be in my rem.model 7 .223 and it was bad also not just the group but the recoil was a bit harder and the third shot stuck the case into the face of the bolt breaking the extractor.All these were loaded with speer starting load. When I took my bolt for repair I was telling the gunsmith about the shooting issues and that I was also blowing primers with starting loads and he said I must have tight chambers (I guess that was his answer for not really knowing.) So I hung up the idea of the 70grainers,confused I decided to look at them today and the first thing I saw on the box was 22cal.70grsp the second thing I didnt see when I bought them was .227dia. In conclusion no matter how much one loads they need to read the entire package of the components their putting together. My situation could have been worse. What are the .227 dia.used for?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought some hornady 22cal 70gr sp wanting to use them for hunting,I tried several different loads but at 50yds I couldnt get better than about a 7" group with my mini,so I tried to see how they would be in my rem.model 7 .223 and it was bad also not just the group but the recoil was a bit harder and the third shot stuck the case into the face of the bolt breaking the extractor.All these were loaded with speer starting load. When I took my bolt for repair I was telling the gunsmith about the shooting issues and that I was also blowing primers with starting loads and he said I must have tight chambers (I guess that was his answer for not really knowing.) So I hung up the idea of the 70grainers,confused I decided to look at them today and the first thing I saw on the box was 22cal.70grsp the second thing I didnt see when I bought them was .227dia. In conclusion no matter how much one loads they need to read the entire package of the components their putting together. My situation could have been worse. What are the .227 dia.used for?
Buy a Lee push through bullet sizer in .224" an tumble lube them , then size them . You can wash the lube off with solvent , when you finish , if you wish .

God bless
Wyr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts