Perfect Union banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone put a nikon or leupold 223 scope (1-4x20) on a new model 581 mini? How did it work out? Did you have to remove the factory iron sights?

Thanks. Tim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone put a nikon or leupold 223 scope (1-4x20) on a new model 581 mini? How did it work out? Did you have to remove the factory iron sights?

Thanks. Tim
Hi Tim.

I shot this target at 100 yards with the Nikon M223 with a 600 BDC retical mounted on a 581 series Mini 14 Tactical (16" barrel). Same results on two different range trips. Factory sights stayed in place - pleanty of room with the Ruger mounts.

Mini 14 Tac target.jpg

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I use both brands I'm 3x9 and both hold zero.

·
Registered
182 Posts
NolaRifleman - wow, nice group! More validation against the naysayers who claim that Mini-14s aren't accurate. :)

I really like the Nikon M223 scope, but didn't have the bucks to spring for it and bought a 3-9x32 BugBuster instead. Great scope for the money, but not in the same league as the Nikon.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts

Thanks. Tim
I have a Leo 1.5x4x24 with a 1 inch tube in Warne QD medium mounts over the factory rear sight. I does not look like the tech sight would clear but I haven't tried. The rifle is a 580 tactical

·
American realist
316 Posts
i have a mueller 2-7x32 illuminated shotgun scope on mine & love it! its pictured on my old 186 mini 30 in the factory #5 rings, but now resides atop my mini 14 tactical in warne QD rings. i did rotate it 90 deg to keep brass from hitting the turret & it makes the illuminator knob easier to work with the left hand.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Thanks. Tim
I've got 1903A3's but not familiar with scopes. Even though one has a scope for Boar hunting. Doesn't the 1-4x20 give a pretty small picture as compared to x40 scope? I hunt coyotes in the ca. desert and need lots of sight picture. just asking.

Attachments

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
I've got bunches of 1903A3's but not familiar with scopes. Even though one has a scope for Boar hunt I didn't get too this year. Doesn't the 1-4x20 give a pretty small picture as compared to x40 scope? I hunt coyotes in the ca. desert and need lots of sight picture. just asking, not trying to be a downer.
The 1(or 1.25 or1.5)x4x20 is very compact and when turned down can be used in very low light but it is not a wide angle scope. There is a reason the 3x9x40 is so common, it works. I've had everything from the 1x4 to a 6.5x20x50 on Ranch rifles and really think that a good 3x9 can support anything the mini is good for if the shooter is up to the task. My other scoped mini is a full length Ranch and wears a 3x9x40 Burris Fullfield.

·
Registered
204 Posts
May I add a suggestion in lieu of the Nikon 223 - the Weaver Classic V 1-3x. The fine reticle at 3x is good enough for precise target shooting at 50yds (you can see the holes), and it should be good for 200yds+ if you're not trying to put one through the same hole. At 1x its perfect for quick acquisition and both eyes open shooting. For $160 from Midway its hard to beat. I have about 300 rounds through on mine and no issues, works like a top.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The 1(or 1.25 or1.5)x4x20 is very compact and when turned down can be used in very low light but it is not a wide angle scope. There is a reason the 3x9x40 is so common, it works. I've had everything from the 1x4 to a 6.5x20x50 on Ranch rifles and really think that a good 3x9 can support anything the mini is good for if the shooter is up to the task. My other scoped mini is a full length Ranch and wears a 3x9x40 Burris Fullfield.
Hard to argue with this premise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting perspectives. Does the size of the objective (x20) govern the width of the field of view you see?

Another thought might be a fixed power, such as a leupold 4x33.

tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to the leupold website and the field of view at 100 yards is more than double for the 20 mm objective. For a 1-4x20 scope the FOV at 100 yds is 75 feet while for a 3-9x40 scope the FOV is 33 feet.

tim

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ya if you want more field of view just dial it down to 4! But the advantage is magnification of 9x.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
I went to the leupold website and the field of view at 100 yards is more than double for the 20 mm objective. For a 1-4x20 scope the FOV at 100 yds is 75 feet while for a 3-9x40 scope the FOV is 33 feet.

tim
To really compare both scopes would have to be set at the same power. Mfg. only gives the bottom and top numbers of their scope models. But the more you zoom the smaller your sight picture, those big objectives on high magnification scopes don't give you a bigger picture, they compensate for the loss at the higher levels. Also if you go with a ballistic reticle in anything but a high end scope it only works at the top power. If you have time type Chuck Hawkes into Google and go to his gun pages, many scope articles there. BTW I checked and the bottom of my 1.5x4 is 75 feet @ 100 also.

·
Registered
489 Posts
a good 3x9 can support anything the mini is good for if the shooter is up to the task.
Can you hit 2 inch diameter targets at 25 yards or 4" at 50 yards offhand with this scope? I find as low as 3X makes offhand shooting worse for me than open sights due to me "chasing my wobble".

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
Can you hit 2 inch diameter targets at 25 yards or 4" at 50 yards offhand with this scope? I find as low as 3X makes offhand shooting worse for me than open sights due to me "chasing my wobble".
I guessing it would be all I could do, and not many times, but that's me not the gun and scope. With the Warne QDs if I could only have the one mini it would wear both scopes with the 1.5x4 being the primary.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi p35, Thanks for the response. Very interesting.Sorry I took so long to respond. Subscriber and I have been working on a jamming issue for weeks.

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts