Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into a discussion with someone that was buying .223 ammo. He stated that he was using a bolt action rifle and didnt want to buy AR-15 ammo because it would cause issues in his bolt.

I went online looking for some info and came across the differances between the 2 cartridges. I under stand the issue about the leade distance of the chambers for NATO and .223 rem.

Since the OBL of a .233 is 2.260" I started looking for the OBL of the 5.56 NATO. None of my reloading books have any data on the "NATO" cartridge.

I was just about to put this to rest when I read that all Colt AR-15' are chambered for the NATO chamber with the longer leade (0.162") with the exception of the Colt Match Target AR-15.

I own the Colt Match Target. I then started looking for info on the Colt's and could not find what makes the Match Target model different.

I can only assume that my AR-15 is chambered for the shorter leade
(.085"):unsure:

Anyone have more info???

Thanks in advance:)

Larry

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I can tell you that the main difference between the two is that the 5.56 is loaded to a higher pressure. The outside dimensions of the case are basically identical. It is fine to shoot .223 in any weapon chambered for a 5.56x45 Nato round. It is not usually considered to be safe to go the other way in shooting the Nato round in a .223 chamber but, in a bolt action rifle I wouldn't even worry about that myself.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can tell you that the main difference between the two is that the 5.56 is loaded to a higher pressure. The outside dimensions of the case are basically identical. It is fine to shoot .223 in any weapon chambered for a 5.56x45 Nato round. It is not usually considered to be safe to go the other way in shooting the Nato round in a .223 chamber but, in a bolt action rifle I wouldn't even worry about that myself.
The only rifle that I was told that is labled a .223 and will be fine using 5.56 was the mini 14

I do not know for sure, but I think Woodstock is right - bolt actions usualy are built stronger than semi autos. so it shouldn't be an issue.

Now I have seen "AR .223" (not labeled 5.56) which I think are just a target rated .223

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Colt match target is marked Cal .223.

So I guess if someone dosent have any info and I dont want to make a chamber cast.

I'll just shoot my reloads:)

Larry

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
My Colt match target is marked Cal .223.

So I guess if someone dosent have any info and I dont want to make a chamber cast.

I'll just shoot my reloads:)

Larry
I would be glad to help but I guess I am not sure what your question is? Any .223 ammo should be fine in your rifle. I personally would not shoot 5.56x45 Nato in it without talking to someone from Colt. You might try their customer service line.
http://www.coltsmfg.com/CustomerServices.aspx

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess my concern was the following statement:

I was just about to put this to rest when I read that all Colt AR-15' are chambered for the NATO chamber with the longer leade (0.162") with the exception of the Colt Match Target AR-15.

I was just asking if someone knows if my Match Target Colt chamber is different than say a LE model??

Larry

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
From the statement you posted above I would say definitely. I would have to assume that the LE model is chambered for 5.56 and yours is .223. To my knowledge, the leade is the difference in the two chambers. I also know that you can have the chamber reamed by a competent gunsmith if you wish to shoot 5.56 NATO rounds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I posted this thread was to help clarify my AR-15.

My .223 ammo is reloaded to SAAMI specs.

I will not have any issues with the NATO round in my Mini-14 or AR-15.

I was unaware that my Colt AR-15 would be different than all the other Colt AR-15 being made for NATO chambers.

It just didnt make any sense for a manufacture to product 1 model (AR-15) in 2 different configurations.

Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.