Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shooting my mini at about 75yrds I shot a Stainless steel box 1/16" thick it punched right thru with clean holes which made me think if an attacker was shot with this round 55gr FMJ wolf it would make a small whole is this how the 223 performs?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by 1911greg
While shooting my mini at about 75yrds I shot a Stainless steel box 1/16" thick it punched right thru with clean holes which made me think if an attacker was shot with this round 55gr FMJ wolf it would make a small whole is this how the 223 performs?
hollow points are designed to expand and punch big holes... FMJ's are the only bullet type allowed by the Geneva convention because they punch 'clean' holes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1911 Greg---If you do some research on the .223 55grn fmj, you will see that it does alot more to ballistics gelitan than leave a nice clean hole.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I believe that the Geneva Convention rumor has been altered somewhat from reality. I remember someone posting awhile back about that, and the way it has been interpreted all these years, is wrong. I think it had something to do with shrapnel, and how FMJs may ricochet, but they don't shrapnel inside the body. This making complete removal of the bullet from a soldier easier. Whoever posted that care to clarify?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have also read that the FMJ holds up better under the "wear & tear" of combat better than softpoints. Before it's loaded into a magazine.:ar15:

·
Registered
23 Posts
The new .223 NATO rounds have a devastating inpact trajectory. They certainly do NOT punch a clean, straight hole.

I would cite the data, but do not have it in front of me. I do know that the new(er) round makes the "single bullet theory" seem plausible. :usa:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm reading Black Hawk Down and during the battle, Delta Force Sgt. Paul Howe was frustrated repeatedly by the lack of stopping power his NATO Green Tip Penetrator rounds had on the "Sammies". He was disgusted by how many rounds it took to put a target down permanently. He watched the rounds blow throught the enemy apparently leaving only caliber-sized holes.

Kinda makes you wonder...

I've shot numerous coyotes with 55gr. ball and JHP/JSP .223s and although the M193 does pack a wallop the JHP/JSP are really devastating.

·
Registered
181 Posts
MM740, Thanks for the link but I'm not sure if he'e referring to the 68gr or 55gr bullet. I've got to think that the 55gr would have a more explosive effect due to it's higher velocity in CQB. At longer ranges the higher ballistic coefficient of the 68gr would excel.

The dramatic Nam effects were with a 55gr M193-style round.

BTW I'm not commenting on the Mini-14s effectiveness but rather on the various .223 bullets.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The best way to determine how good you ammo is is to shoot a living creature, like a feral dog. I do a lot of wild hog hunting and shooting a 200 pound hog will let you know right away how effective your cartridge/bullet combination is. I usually use FMJ for target practice and soft or hollow points for shooting everything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts