Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I bought 1000 rds of 5.56 ammo and 1000 rds of SS109 Sellier & Bellot for my mini-14 but I would like to know if any difference between .223 and 5.56 is. The ammo I got is a Federal Lake City (military issue). Will the gun blow up in my face!?!? I'm a little scared about this? :( or is the mini-14 barrel able to handle
5.56 ammo?

http://www.saami.org/unsafe3.htm

·
Registered
145 Posts
same size but different, the lead (throat) is much longer in a 5.56 chamber than a 223 rem., therefore 5.56 loads are over pressure in a 223, not sure but I think mini's are chambered 5.56 Nato.
RR

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
This is from my Mini-14 Manual: "The RUGER MINI-14 RANCH RIFLES are chambered for the .233 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Ranch Rifle is designed to use either Standardized U.S. military or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice." The manual only warns against using NON-STD, or REMANUFACTURED, OR HAND LOADED AMMO. Good shooting!

·
Registered
203 Posts
If your are unsure of your chamber. Buy cerrosafe ( low temp. melting chamber form) from brownells.com. To cast your chamber for the exact chamber dimensions of your rifle. It sould give you good dimensions and the techs at brownells can help. notify them for help. Good Luck!

·
Registered
716 Posts
This has been discussed before in several threads. I believe the consensus was that it won't hurt in any way to fire 5.56x45mm ammo in your Mini-14, as it has a military chamber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts