Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently i bought 1000 rds of 5.56 ammo for my mini-14 but i would like to know if is any diference betwen .223 or 5.56. the ammo i got is a winchester (military issue) and its de louder thing i have heard:rapid:

·
Registered
160 Posts
The round .223 Remington and 5.56 are the identical round. The second designation is the "NATO", the first is common 'American English'. <g> Most military ammo will be designated as 5.56mm. It may have some features regular US or foreign commercial (non-military) ammo doesn't; such as sealed bullets and primers, etc. But either can be used in a rifle chambered for .223 Remington like the Mini-14.

I stay away from the more powerful foreign brands. One I recall, but can't spell, is something like "Hertziberg". They make hot .223 Remington and 9mm rounds among others. The only other 223/5.56 ammo I avoid is the steel cased branks like Norinco, Wolfe, etc.

The Winchester you have is fine.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have had no problems with the steel cased ammo. I've put thousands of rounds through but my Mini-14 and Mini-30, never had a prob with steel cased.

.223 and 5.56x45mm are virtually the same round, but are NOT identical.

In the Mini-14, it doesn't make a difference which ammo you use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I PAID $150 FOR 1000 WINCHESTER RDS A3131 (MILITARY), DO YOU THINK THIS PRICE IS OK

SALUDOS DESDE PUERTO RICO

MARCOS

:sniper:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Marcos, $150 for 1000 rounds of Winchester .223 or 5.56 sounds like a great price to me. It was $190 at the gun show Saturday.

I've had no trouble with steel cased ammo. I'm just reported what others have said in great number. Apparently if one shoot many rounds in one sitting the paint/coating on the cases tends to gum things up. Actually, I don't plan to use that ammo, and one strong reason is I someday might want to reload it, and the steel case isn't reloadable (at least I'm not going to try it). :cool:

I've never heard anyone state that .223 and 5.56 aren't identical, but they are only virtually identical. Can you add a little to that? What's the difference besides possible primer and bullet sealing? I'm pretty new to this, and I don't want to be making bad assumptions. :D

And if you think it doesn't matter what ammo one uses in a Mini 14, you don't know some of the reloaders that I do............:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts