Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I reloaded .357 and .44 with a Lee progressive 1000. I quit loading for years but now got back in, buying a Lee Load master in .223. To be honest I've been having problems, First I bought 1000 rounds of once used brass cleaned and de primed. I'm guessing the brass was sized as well. IN setting the press up I can load one round at a time but if I try to use it in the progressive mode things go bad. One problem in particular is when I go to seat a bullet. Some of the brass allows the bullet to "fall" all the way down into the case. I have tried adjusting the height on my sizing die to no avail. Any help?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Chances are if you had to deprime they were not sized. Well,IF,you are full length resizing you could have a bad sizing die or somthing in your setup is expanding the case before you seat the bullet. Are the necks tight to the bullet right out of the sizing die?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't size the brass it came like that. What I am doing now is going through the brass piece by piece and checking it with a bullet. If the bullet doesn't slide into the case I use the case ( about half of them ). I have to admit I have never tried loading bottle neck cartridges before, but I believe the sizing die in my press is a neck only and not a full length sizer.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
1, bottleneck cases are (IMHO) easier to reload than straight wall cases
2, just because they were deprimed doesn't mean they were resized
3, RTFI (read the f-in instructions), because your making some MAJOR mistakes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Resize them all,the only time I neck size is if they are going to be used in the same rifle they were originally fired in and then I check that they will chamber before neck sizing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Howdy, cuts

Your brass was NOT resized if the bullets fall into the brass. Please buy a reloading manual like the Lyman 49th edition and understand it. Tailgunner is right. You are making some serious mistakes. I feel compelled to add that you must NEVER get any reloading recipies off the internet. You must consult a reputable reloading manual for that info. There is a wealth of information on this forum to help you along. Don't feel shy about asking questions here. We want you to be successful in your efforts.

fishslayerbob

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would also add that your "once-fired" brass may be "once-fired (machine gun) brass". If so, you definitely need to full-length size it or it may not fit in any of your guns; machine guns have quite generous chambers.
Whether a bullet will fall into the case is immaterial: you're going to resize the case. If your dies are LEE, you almost certainly have a full-length sizer. You'll need proper caselube. Do not skip that step. You can get away without caselube with straight-walled cases (like the .357 and .44 you loaded before) and carbide dies, but you will stick a bottlenecked case without lube.
And, yeah: based on what you've posted, everybody above is correct - you really need to get (and read) a reloading manual before you do anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.