Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I have been lurking around this great website for a couple of months. You all are to congradulated for sharing your knowledge of guns (especially mini-14s). I have a synthetic ranch mini 14. I am going to be following some of your suggestions for accurizing my gun. I have a question about some ammo I just found. At wally world they have 40 round boxes of winchester in 45 grain sp for $12.00 . Will 45 grain bullets be stable in the barrels of my mini (or more importantly- after it leaves the barrel) :D . I thought that this was an excellent price- is it?
I know some of you don't care for walmart, but I am frugal(cheap) with my money. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is that the stuff thats made in Israel? The people at BassPro told me not to buy that stuff (the guy said it is hell on your barrel). Dont know if that is true or not..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Winchester...Israel? Nah. Give it a try longshot. Every rifle is different. Some people on this forum have reported excellent results with bullets in that range from their late 1:9 barrels. Mine seemed to prefer 55's.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll try to find some and give it a try. 45 grains and soft point? I like the sound of it, should be less recoil, flatter trajectory, and SP qualifies it for varmits.

From everything I've learned about accurizing, anything loose ahead of the receiver causes harmonics and accuracy problems.

If you can find out, post the muzzle velocity.

I'd also like to know how you fare at the range. Please let us know if you have a muzzle brake, if you're shooting with iron sights, and how the grouping looks at 50 yards. Never mind if the groups are high, low, left, or right. Just how tight the group is.

When I'm testing a rifle, I also take 1 or 2 more rifles that I want to check out, with different loads, or to check the scope alignment. I set up targets on 2 boards if it's not crowded. I shoot groups for each rifle, at different targets, of course. That way, it doesn't seem like a lot of time wasted waiting for target checks.

If you accept this mission, you may encounter curious glances from other shooters, and have to explain target skills to the uninitiated. But you will get the respect of this forum.

KC

·
Registered
102 Posts
Since you're shopping at Wal-Mart, you may want to give the UMC 55-grain ammo a try. I don't know where you live, but in my area, it's only $3.97 a box. After shooting it, I reload with 26 grains of BLC2.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been using the same ammo to help break in a new savage and havent had any problems, soots fairly well.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey Longshot, I've been using those bullets in my 196 mini. At first, they shot 4 1/2" groups in my mini, but after mounting a muzzle brake, beding the stock, firelaping the barrel, and a trigger job (total about $100) they now shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds. If you have an Academy sports they are $9.97 for the box of 40. It says on the box, MADE IN USA. Now I'm using the brass I've saved, and am working on custom reloads for $3.24 for 20, & hopfully even tighter groups. Welcome to our forum!

·
Registered
40 Posts
This weekend I put a few rounds of the winchester stuff through an AR and I was very impressed. The ones I shot were the HP ones that had 6 HP's in them. The stuff did wonders on ***** so I ordered 400 rds from cabelas yesterday for my mini.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lets see I have tried the following:pMP gr.BT,PMC 55 gr.BT,UMC 55 gr.BT.,South African Mil Sur 55 gr."300 round battle pak",62 gr. Wolf,55 gr.Wolf,55 gr.Bakula "Russian",White Box USA 55 gr.BT.For the money the UMC shoots great " 2 MOA in my mini,1 MOA in my Win model 70 223"and is reloadable.Mil Sur South African is probally nothing but PMP,shoots good "3 MOA in Mini 2 MOA in Win"PMC is Korean and shoots OK,but isn't very accurate in my 2 rifles.The Russian ammo "both of them"go bang and are 100% reliable in both guns,but are 5+ MOA in both.For the money I will order 2 more S.African battle paks from AIM,and just keep on shooting.Just my .02 Aldo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts